Cherry Flavors ??

Decorating By newathis Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 6:19am by Cubsfan85

newathis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newathis Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, i did some looking in the recipes, and found a possible cake, but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas or thoughts on this, i have to do a baby shower cake, and the mom likes cherry chip cake, the recipe on her is for a bundt, but could i use it for regular shaped cakes, or does anyone have a good recipe for this, or is there a cherry version of WASC out there??? Also any ideas for a cherry filling, besides pie filling??

Thanks!! I am not knowing what to do !? icon_redface.gif

10 replies
tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 11

if you are fimiliar with lorann oils, I think they have a cherry flavor you can you with the wasc.

newathis Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 11

yes, i've seen those, so do i just subsitute instead of the vanilla extract?? I think the almond would be good with cherry so i would want to keep that one there...and keep all the other ingredients the same?? maybe dye it pink or something?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 11

Yes, yes, yes........you can use Loranne flavoring but.......it is very, very strong so go easy w/it. Another idea is to get a small jar of marisheno(certainly not spelled right) cherries and chop them up &/or just use the juice as the liquid. Almond certainly does go well w/cherry. As for filling.......lemon or choco would go good.

newathis Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 11

Kakeladi, would i use the cherry juice in place of the water?? All of the water, or like half and half? thanks for replying

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 11

Yes, in place of the water. Depends on how much flavor & color you want if you use all juice or 1/2 & 1/2 icon_smile.gif

newathis Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks so much for all the help icon_biggrin.gif

Cakegirl11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl11 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 11

Here is a recipe from MACSMOM that I got off the Help?!?!?! Gourmet Flavors Thread. I have not tried it yet, but plan on trying it real soon.

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake - MacsMom
2 white cake mixes
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 dram LoRann cherry
2 t butter flavoring
1/2 t lemon extract
2 or 3 large drops Americolor super red
1 c mini chocolate chips
1 c mini cherry chips (I get mine online)

MacsMom - "I use the WASC recipe as my base and start substituting from there:

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:28am
post #9 of 11

Easy Suggestion as a filling:
Ok I know its going to sound a bit odd but trust me the Cherry Mousse thats attached to the "Fudge Brownie Bites with Cherry Mousse" recipe (on Food Network its Paula Deens) makes a great cake filling (just make sure you eat the cake within three days)! Also chop the maraschino up very small and add just a tad bit more gelatin than it calls for (approx extra 1/4 packet). I also add a few drops of red to get the icing pink adjust to your liking (one of the only times that I use liquid instead of paste food coloring). Great for B-day type cakes. For elaborate wedding I would go with something a bit more sophisticated.
Heres the link for the easy cherry mousse:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/fudge-brownie-bites-with-cherry-mousse-recipe/index.html

Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:12am
post #10 of 11

I made a cherry cake following Macsmom's version of the WASC, except I also used cherry yogurt instead of sour cream. It was very tasty!

Cubsfan85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cubsfan85 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:19am
post #11 of 11

I made a birthday cake for a friend who likes cherry chip. I used a boxed cherry chip mix and added the cake mix extender. The flavor was still strong even with the extra flour and sugar added. It was nice and sturdy too, it was the bottom layer of my luau cake in my pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%