Bavarian Cream

Baking By pattiverde Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 5:21am by pattiverde

pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all,

Maybe I don't really know what bavarian cream is... I wanted to find a creamy pudding-like vanilla filling for a cake, so I made the Vanilla Bavarian Cream recipe from The Cake Bible. Well, it turned out entirely like a custard. I went ahead and filled the cake with it anyway and the flavor was yummy, but the consistency was kind of spongy.

Any thoughts? Maybe it is pastry cream that I was thinking of? Do you have a recipe for a creamy, puddingy vanilla filling?

Thanks!
icon_smile.gif patti

12 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 13

Homemade cooked cornstarch pudding recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-Vanilla-Pudding/Detail.aspx

HTH

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 13

I use Martha Stewart's Pastry Cream recipe from her website. It's very yummy and once you get the hang of it, it is actually pretty easy to do. I make it at least once a week, so I'm used to it now. I remember being flustered by it initially tho'.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by imakecakes

I use Martha Stewart's Pastry Cream recipe from her website. It's very yummy and once you get the hang of it, it is actually pretty easy to do. I make it at least once a week, so I'm used to it now. I remember being flustered by it initially tho'.

do you have the recipe/link handy? i'm visiting the MS site right now and i cant find Just pastry cream.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:47am
post #5 of 13

If what you want is vanilla pudding, why not just use vanilla pudding?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:01am
post #6 of 13

Pastry Cream is the filling in an eclair or cream puff. Is that what you're thinking of?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:03am
post #7 of 13

Bavarian cream is like that.. it holds its shape due to the gelatin in it. I'm thinking you are wanting a pastry cream. Teh flavor is almost the same, but the texture is different... I use pastry cream in cakes all the time and to fill eclairs and to fill my mouth... icon_wink.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:18am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I use pastry cream in cakes all the time and to fill eclairs and to fill my mouth... icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:32am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

. I use pastry cream in cakes all the time and to fill eclairs and to fill my mouth... icon_wink.gif

works for me!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:49am
post #10 of 13

... I use pastry cream in cakes all the time and to fill eclairs and to fill my mouth... icon_wink.gif[/quote]

LOL...you're too funny!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 13

icon_wink.gif

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 13

There is a variation of buttercream which we use in Czech and Slovak republic - you cook double strength vanilla pudding, let it cool, cream a stick of butter with sugar (make buttercream) and mix tablespoon for tablespoon the pudding into the buttercream.
You have to be careful - both need the same temperature or it will separate.
Pastry cream here are the same ingredients but you give only butter into the hot vanilla pudding. You get different texture, but you can use both as filling in the cake and even for piping.

I have cupcakes decorated with pastry cream in my gallery - http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1324709

pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:21am
post #13 of 13

Thanks for these replies! I think pastry cream was what I was aiming for. Basically, I want a yummy, creamy filling for a cake and this sounds like it would be one. Thanks again for clarifying!
icon_smile.gif patti

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%