Help! I Took My First Cookie Order!

Baking By ILoveMy6Boys Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 4:52pm by Linliv46

ILoveMy6Boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveMy6Boys Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 16

I took my first cookie order for 350 logo cookies! I am soo excited, but I am not sure if I should dry the royal icing before adhering the edible image. I am going to flood with white and then apply logo and then pipe a small border on the outer edge. Do I need to add logo while the icing is wet or dry? I am sooooo excited! Thanks in advance for your help! I love this community! You are all so kind and generous! And of Course super TALENTED!!!!

15 replies
GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 16

Sorry - I dont know the answer - but I really wanted to say congrats on your first order! Good Luck! and Im sure someone here WILL know the answer icon_smile.gif
Happy Baking!
Gaye

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 16

I am pretty sure you want to do it right after flooding. I have let my royal dry and tried to adhere sprinkles and stuff with a little water and it did not work well. I think you will have to be careful to not push to hard, otherwise it will overflow. All I can say is try one and see how it works. Just afraid if you wait for it to dry you won't beable to get to stay.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 16

I've been researching how to since I want to try it on cookies for my sons birthday and on the sugarcraft website it says "· Add a generous mist of water over Royal icing before applying Picture.
· If the Picture "bubbles" after application, GENTLY TAP (do not rub) the Picture. " To me that assumes the royal is dry. But I plan to try it first.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 16

I did some Christmas cookies 2 years ago with purchased edible images and I applied them to the royal when it was wet. It kind of just melted into the royal and attached perfectly!

They were just circles.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 16

I haven't played with EIs yet, but wanted to say "CONGRATS on your first order!!!! party.gif Whoo hoo to you!!" (Okay, I will be quiet now icon_lol.gif )

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 16

Good for you!! How exciting! And what a big bang to start off!

However, I don't know the answer, sorry. I'm curious too so I hope you can figure it out.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 16

I am testing this today! I spooned a thin layer of Antonia's on the cookie and spread it smooth, then trimmed my image and place it on. Rubbed across the surface to make sure it was all attached. I have the cookie drying now, but so far looks great! When I do this for real, I will probably use my squeeze bottle to cover cookie.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 16

Thanx Linda for doing the "dirty" work - then posting back! icon_smile.gif That was so nice of you!! Im sticking that info into my memory bank!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:36am
post #10 of 16

I've done many edible images on cookies. I do not flood or outline.
I have the RI at a med constistency (thicker than flood, thinner than piping) and i spread it on the cookie. Then the EI goes right onto the wet icing. I make sure that the ends are all adhering to the RI.
I am not a fan of using water to stick it to dry icing as water can seep through and cause the colors to bleed.
It takes a longer time for cookies iced under EI to dry too.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:23am
post #11 of 16

Wow, that's your first order? That's a big'un. Congratulations!!

Definitely apply the edible image to wet icing, and be aware that the edges might curl a little. Your piped border will cover it. Also, do a test print before you really go for it, so you can adjust the colours if you need to - sometimes they can go a little 'off' when applied to the cookie (on my printer, blue goes very turqouise (sp?) and I have to tone it down to get truer colours).

Good luck!

ILoveMy6Boys Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:02am
post #12 of 16

Thank you all for your kind words of incouragement and your quick responses!!! I have been running around all day (dentist, guitar lessons....) . Anyway! I got one sheet of EI images from the local grocery store and tried them out. What I did was wet a paper towel and ring it out. I swiped the dampened paper towel accross the dry RI and then positioned the EI. After about 10 min. I piped the border over the edge of the design. They turned out beautiful! The client loved them and gave me the go ahead! The head count is down to 275 which is such a relief! hehe I will post some picks when I make the lot of cookies this weekend. I let the gal keep the samples and dummy me I forgot to take a picture first! You guys ROCK!!

ILOVEMY6BOYS!

luv2bake6 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:41am
post #13 of 16

How much are you charging for these cookies out of curiosity?

ILoveMy6Boys Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #14 of 16

I am charging $2.50 each. Do you think that that is a fair price? The cookies are 2x4 inches. I am packaging them individually in cello sacks. It is a corporate event so they didn't want any adornments. They will be shipped out of their office via ups, but I am covering the packaging cost. I learned a big lesson there! Add packaging to cost of cookie!!!! She is a friend of a friend and it is my first attempt at this so I am ok with giving her a break. That said, I will definately charge more in the future! If any of you amazing designers have suggestions, I am all ears!! I love all of the support I am getting here at cc. You are all so sweet!!!! Thank you!!!!!

luv2bake6 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 4:46pm
post #15 of 16

$2.50 sounds about right for the cookie and cello. I'd charge a shipping and handling fee instead of adding them onto the cookie cost. People like to see cheaper prices per product and are aware that there will be shipping costs.
Would love to see a pic of your cookies!

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 4:52pm
post #16 of 16

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you! I am just curious a about floding the cookie before the EI! I have done some but I just use gel or corn syrup and apply the image to the cooked cookie & then do a border around the EI. I guess maybe save a step! LOL Can't wait to see the pic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%