Recommended Flower Cutters

Decorating By pinkbox Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 6:00pm by brincess_b

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 9

For those of you who are skilled at making flowers. Can you tell me what you would recommend I have in my repitore of flower cutters. I am about to make a purchase in this area and would like to have a good start.

TIA
Kim

8 replies
pinkbox Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 9

Just some of the most every day used type of cutters pls.. anyone.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 9

I assume you are referring to gumpaste work? What type of flowers are you using most now?
The quick, five petal rose cutter in several sizes
Orchid (always one of the most elegant flowers)
pansy
daisy

Do you have any cutters at all yet? Have you thought of using the Wilton gp set? It would give you a good start to see if you really like this type of work. Some people find it;s not what they really like or can do so if you invest in quality cutters to start w/you may be sorry you invested that much money. The Wilton set is about $25-30 and comes w/an instruction booklet, cutters, a veiner, and tools.

pinkbox Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #4 of 9

I have purchased the Wilton kit, but the cutters dont cut very clean. I was hoping for a more professional grade... (unless its the user thats the problem.. me haha)

I purchased the Catelleya Orchid cutter... but it seems so small compared to what I have seen... its by PME.

So I was wondering what is used by those who make the most common flowers for wedding cakes... which cutters and if size matters?

I have seen the sweet pea cutters... is this a common flower?

TIA

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:27pm
post #5 of 9

think about who you are making cakes for. since im doing them for people like my mum, grand parents, friends, i know what flowers they like. so in my order, im getting:
daisy/ sunflower set (good for just 'flowers')
5 petal rose cutter set (also good for just 'flowers')
sweet pea
carnation set
i already have heart cutters (cala lily), rose caylx (for simple ponsettia), and jasmine (its called something else... but makes a good jasmine).

if its for business, its all about what the customer wants... things like roses, orchids, lillies, daises seem popular just now. but it might just be that if someone comes in wanting something else, you will have to order it.
as for sizes... thats the tricky bit! depends on the size of cake or flower arangement. if no one here gets back with common sizes, then maybe the place you get your cutters from could give you some advice?
brand wise, different brands do different flowers better than others, and it does come down to personal preferance and your skills too.
xx

pinkbox Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 9

ahhh... thanks... hadnt thought of it that way.

I will be doing this for weddings and some family...I will have to think on this. Thank you

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 9

I am also new at making gumpaste flowers and want to purchase other cutters than Wilton.

I would like to know the names of the companies that make the best ones. I ordered a set of leaf cutters from Global Sugar (their return policy is not the greatest) and went with the recommendation of the customer service person and I do not like them. Also the cutters are not the same brand as the veiners and what a mess. What company sells sets that are worth the money.

I did purchase the 5 Petal Easy Rose Cutters by JEM and I do like those. I got the 50 mm, 60mm & 80 mm. Next time I am going to get the 90 mm, These are the pink clear plastic ones. Then I purchased a leaf cutter by a different company and the leaf veiner by First Impressions - not good. First impression only ssilicone molds and don't make cutters.

I am also looking for a tulip petal cutter and veiner and tulip leaf cutter and veiner. Does anyone know who makes this?

Someone out there must have an idea of what companies to use and what cutters & veiners are out there. I can determine the size - I just need to know where to look. I was told that you should always get sets to avoid what has happened to me.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 9

Has anyone used Scott Woolley's (I think thas his name). They look really nice & complete, but boy are they pricey!. Does anyone know of one just as nice & grouped together just as well, but less expensive?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 9

its tricky, diferent brands do different flowers better than others, its not that one brand rules all. and theres the uk/ usa thing - ive got orchard products, tinkertech and fmm which i like. ad even within brands, the cutters and veiners dont always match up!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%