Will This Work? *drum Kit Cake* Also Flavor Question

Decorating By mrsbriggs06 Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 2:48am by mrsbriggs06

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all! I'm new to cake central & LOVE to bake!

I've done cakes mainly for *uh* personal consumption.. not 'family.. just me ;o)' but this year I'm averaging at least 1-2 cakes per month just doing parties for family & an upcoming baby shower for a friend! None of the cakes are charged of course, and I'm glad just to have the practice & freedom to design! Once I find time, I'd love to take a class.. right now I'm just wingin' it!

In April, I'm doing a cake for a friend who is having a little boy. Her hubby is a drummer & part of the baby's name is taken from a famous drummer. She gave me free reign over the design, flavors, etc.

I'm going to do a drum kit inspired by the celeb they like...
I've scaled his drum kit down to half to come up with:
12x12 bass drum (cake dummies)
8x9= 8x5 dummy w/ 8" cake on top
7x8= 7x4 dummy w/ 8" cake on top cut down to 7"
5x6= 5x3 dummy w/6" cake on top cut down to 5"
4x5= dummy

They will be placed on board with a hardware constructed drum kit which the hubby & I are currently designing.
I'm planning to use MMF to cover the cake/dummy combos & 2 dummy drums.
I need to make a number of cymbals, but might purchase hand cymbals online instead *I'm planning to possibly reuse this set up for my daughter's bday cake, but do it with an imagination movers (kids' show/band) theme*

I'm planning to put a cake board/plate/?? between the real cake & dummies so that when it's time to cut, they will be lifted off the stands, removed from the dummies (via cake leveling wire) & cut.

Any thoughts so far???

Also, I'm planning to use the WASC recipe for the cakes... 1 chocolate version, one vanilla *done as rainbow like my avi* & for the last drum, I was thinking about a 'fruity' flavor... I had thought to use captain morgans parrot bay passionfruit rum in the batter & a pineapple (possibly also mandarin orange) filling...
My main problem is that I'm planning to use a black colored chocolate mmf to get the correct background color on the drums.... and I'm thinking that won't fly w/a fruity cake... Would you just skip the choc on that mmf & only color it black?? What other flavors are different but not crazy exotic requiring a trip to a specialty food market? ;o)

icon_redface.gif
LL

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:06am
post #2 of 3

Oh my! That is quite an undertaking icon_smile.gif
It sounds like a HUGE amount of cake icon_smile.gif Is that a graduated stack of drums? oh, I get it now.....most of this is going to be styro for height w/4" tall cakes on top.
Is that round gold thing w/the hole in the center the base drum that you are going to do as a 12" round on it's side in a holder?

On to the flavors icon_smile.gif Let's see orange & pineapple go o.k. w/choco. Don't know about passionfruit......don't think I have ever tasted it.
If you are going to use the choco on the others you really need to use it for all of them to keep the color the same.
Hope these suggestions help some.
If not at least this will give you a 'bump' so others see it.

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:48am
post #3 of 3

thank you SO much for responding! i was getting discouraged!~

yes, over 2/3 of this will be foam.
the center drum *which is black w/a glare on it* will be 2 dummies stacked/decorated & turned on their 'side'(?) so no worried about cake sinking or toppling here!

the other cakes will be at least 1/2 dummy (1 being all dummy, 3 being 50/50) & will each be on its own stand *to look like part of the kit*

i just found macsmom's gigantic list of amazing cakes, so i'm doing a trial run this weekend & baking a bunch of 6"'s with different fillings & doing an informal tasting for whatever friends & family happen by...

the passion fruit rum is sooo good.. if you put it in orange or pineapple juice you can't taste a thing, but can tell it's a bit more than just p.a.j or oj. in a good way icon_surprised.gif) i thought it would give a nice alternative to choc or vanilla that doesn't involve nuts or other potential 'triggers'
*though i don't know of any allergies @ the party.. we have some in the family so i'm always cautious*

so.. i'm feeling pretty confident about picking flavors after i get to do a trial run... the one thing that has me a bit concerned *since i've reassured myself having 50/50 cake/dummy will be fine as long as i deconstruct & cut* is.....

how in the world do i apply MMF this 12x12 cylinder????? the others should be ok.. tall but ok since they will only involve sides & 1 top...
but the cylinder??
all i can think is that since it'll be on a 'side' anyway.. i could wrap it in fondant, trim the extra off the ends.. then apply 2 fondant circles (1 on each end) OR drape & apply the top/sides as normal & apply a circle to the 'bottom' (backside)... i'm not too worried about the seams since i'll be making hardware/rings to go around that part anyway....

thoughts on that??? & are there problems i'm not seeing with using MMF on a 9" stack of cake/dummy?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%