What Is The "glue" For Fondant Figures?

Decorating By jjbrink Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 4:16pm by jjbrink

jjbrink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjbrink Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 9

i watched the tutorial on the home page for the tiny teddy bear. what is it that was being used as the glue? and what other things can be used? i will be making, attempting to make, a few jungle animals- just needing the simpliest way to attach the parts.
thanks,
~jj

8 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 9

you can use several things - vodka, water, clear extract, you could also melt some gumpaste in water (break the pieces up really small and put in microwave with water until melted) or you can mix Tylose powder with water and refrigerate overnight - this is my personal favorite.

You can go to youtube.com and look up aine2's tutorials and there is one on how to make gum glue.

good luck!!

Lori17201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori17201 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 9

I was taught to use piping gel with a few drops of water heated until it looks liquidy. It's worked for me when doing figures.

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 9

I use a little bit of gumpaste dissolved in water. You can also use RI or candy melts, too.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 9

I also use really small pieces of gumpaste dissolved in water, though I don't microwave it. I just let it sit for about an hour and it's ready.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 9

[quote="messy_chef"]I use a little bit of gumpaste dissolved in water. quote]

Ditto. And it goes a long way. I have a very small bottle that I've been using for quite some time.

jjbrink Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 9

will the plain water hold up and keep the parts attached?? seems too easy icon_confused.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 9

I personally don't think that it holds up as well - I would definately recommend using either the gumpaste with water or the tylose powder with water - the gumpaste and the tylose actually make it really sticky like glue.

jjbrink Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 9

ok, i will look for either of these. thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%