Make The Box Top - Sugarshack????

Decorating By janelwaters Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 3:41pm by newmansmom2004

janelwaters Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make a present cake - closed. How do you do the top of the box, so that it actually looks like a lid - like the second and third tiers of this cake

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1230859

Thank you so much!!!

5 replies
KHalstead Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 6

looks to me like those are just cake boards covered in fondant.

newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

I want to make a present cake - closed. How do you do the top of the box, so that it actually looks like a lid - like the second and third tiers of this cake

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1230859

Thank you so much!!!

I just ordered the gift boxes & bows video from SugarEd Productions and it's great. The closed box top that sits on the top of the cake is a piece of fondant placed on the cake then trimmed along the sides with a cutting wheel.

It's a great video and if you like the look of the gift boxes and bows, it's worth it. VERY detailed so there's no question about how to do any of it. I ordered two more videos after seeing this one but they haven't arrived yet.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, had to edit after actually SEEING the picture from the link you posted - LOL! That type of box lid is actually gumpaste that's been cut to size and allowed to dry, then you would attach the side pieces which are also gumpaste that's been allowed to dry.

janelwaters Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 6

Very cool!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU so much!!

I intend to buy all of her videos when the money fairy comes by!! haha! I want them all - especially the boxes and bows! I have gone to her website like 100 times and "shopped" - I've added every video and a BUNCH of tools to my cart, then I just close the site b/c I can't afford it right now.

Ok - off to make my box tops from gumpaste!! yea!!

Justbeck101 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 6

I bought sugarshacks video also, it really is great! she gives so much great info!

newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

I intend to buy all of her videos when the money fairy comes by!! haha!

WHAT??? There's a money fairy??? Send her my way! LOL! I could have used her last weekend at the cake show in Austin. I was SO bad...I bought so much stuff but it's much easier to buy when it's in front of you and you can see it for yourself than to rely on photos on the Internet and then pay the shipping. I also eliminated some things I 'thought' I wanted after seeing them so I guess that was good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%