Need Help With Cake Construction

Decorating By MandyE Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 1:58pm by sylly

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 2

I was inspired by a cake on the Food Network Challenge. It was tiered, but each tier was separated by what looked like a sort of hourglass shaped wooden block (picture a big pillar candle holder). So I plan to have each layer (even the bottom one) balanced on one of these wooden candle holder looking things (assuming I can even find something like this). Im just not sure how to construct this. On a normal tiered cake I usually just use straws and cake boards to support the tiers. This is obviously going to need more than straws I would think. I would also think Im going to need to drill down into the wooden block for stability? But I have no idea. Can someone please offer any tips or advice on cake construction like this? Any help would be most appreciated.

TIA!

1 reply
sylly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sylly Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 2

Hi. I think you would need to drill into the pillars and use dowels to support your cakes, especially if you are moving it to another location. If it is going to stay where you build it, then you may just get away with balancing it, although that is up to chance. Also, if you are going to be balancing more than one cake on those pillars, I would suggest that you use plastic dowel rods in your tiers instead of straws to hold the support and the weight of the other tiers. Do you have a picture of the cake? That would be more helpful in giving you structure advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%