lucysmam Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 14

fondant icing powder and icing sugar? If there is one

13 replies
Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 14

Sorry I don't know icon_sad.gif

I was taught to use a mixture of 50/50 powdered sugar and cornstarch when dealing with gumpaste but I'm not sure if that works for fondant too...

Good Luck!

lucysmam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucysmam Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 14

I'll keep looking, there's bound to be some info about it somewhere

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 14

I don't think there is a difference. When I am working with fondant, I use powdered sugar (confectioners sugar or icing sugar) in small amounts. I've found it is easier to get the powdered sugar off than it is to get the corn starch off. I hope this helps!

lucysmam Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 14

thanks diamondsonblackvelvet13, I was thinking more along the lines of making fondant but have deided it's easier to buy it at the moment & maybe give making it a go when I've got a bit more experience under my belt

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 14

When making fondant (I've used bought and homemade) I always used powdered sugar. It's not hard to make it. My problem was that it never quite came out right. It was too....weird. I always had elephant skin no matter what I did. I used Toba's fondant recipe. Maybe you should the MMF recipe. I've not tried making MMF so I can't say one way or the other. I personally prefer to buy it (I use Satin Ice) because I know I will ALWAYS get consistent results.

Maybe one weekend or when you have a large block of time, give making it a go. That way you'll know one way or the other.

HTH

lucysmam Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 14

Where could I find the MMF recipe? I think you're probably right about giving it a go just to see whether it works out for me or not. I'll stick to buying it for the moment though, thanks for the info & advice, it's much appreciated

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 14

Look in the recipe section here, or just Google Marshmallow fondant. HTH

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 14
lucysmam Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:56pm
post #10 of 14

thanks enoid and GenGen, I have been looking in the recipes section & found it. Ill be trying it out over the weekend sometime as it's a lot simpler than I expected it to be.

GenGen Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 14

once you make it it really seems easier then it looks

i put off learning how to do and work with fondant for years due to several reason's. 1, the recipes and books i'd seen about ten years ago the recipes etc all looked so complicated and very intimidating for me lol.. 2, i had no demand for it.. 3. those who did know what fondant was.. didn't like it.. so there went back to #2, no demand..

finally i found this place and kept seeing all the fantastic figurines and borders and such made with fondant i kept looking at all the Simple recipes, and found that one. once i feel comfortable using it and can master getting it on a cake- i'll start branching out with others. i don't get to practice much with recipes and cakes because i just can't afford to- and have no excuses to.. not many cake requests anymore lol.

lucysmam Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:34am
post #12 of 14

I've only recentlt started GenGen, for my little one's second birthday & have had loads of requests from family so have years to practise.

I can't afford to do many but am debating asking for contributions towards the ingredients from them because I seem to be doing quite a few large cakes, for nothing in place of a present but the cakes are turning out to be more expensive than the presents I would have bought

GenGen Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm
post #13 of 14

i've been doing this hobby intermittenly for oh.. 10+ years.. by that number technically i should be better then i am lol but.i dont get to practice alot let alone make enough cakes to compensate. when it comes to making cakes for organizational events and gatherings ,which usualy the request comes from a friend or family i usually just give them the ingredient cost. they always throw in extra for time and labor. i have reached though the limit of doing freebees cept for family only thanks to a certain person i wont name names cause i stupidly taught them how to find this site and i don't know if they are on it or not lol

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:02pm
post #14 of 14

im wondering if theres some usa/ uk confusion here.
icing sugar can be used for all sorts - including following a recipie of various ingrediants to make fondant, or making glace icing or buttercream.
fondant icing powder is purely for making fondant - pouring as well as hard i believe, just by adding water (egg bits are listed in ingrediants, so i figure it will be water) - for some reason i cant find it on the silverspoon website, but it is listed on sainsburys.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%