Help! How Do I Do This?

Decorating By newnancy Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 10:51pm by newnancy

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:18am
post #1 of 8

HELP!
My niece loves this cake she found somewhere, I don't know where it came from & she would like me to make it. Does anybody know how this was done? I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks!
Nancy
LL

7 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:40am
post #2 of 8

hmm...it almost just looks like fondant cut out in a free hand design. you could probably just apply it on top of buttercream if you want. but there is no pattern so you could just go for it! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:11am
post #3 of 8

yyep i agree with steponmi. cover the cake in white fondant (or whatever color you use) and use the same color to cut out funky strips, think like zebra stripes. There is no template that I've seen, as steponmi said, you can freehand it, or if you feel more comfortable, draw out your own template of the different strips. HTH

Mandeepthemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandeepthemom Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:32am
post #4 of 8

OMG...I know the answer..I am new to cake decorating so I may be way off..I watched food challenge last night at the gym (food network in canada)...it was titled mystery guest (if you can youtube it)...
Anyways, a lady made a baby shower cake using fondant and zebra strips....she layed out the fondant and used a pizza cutter and did random "zebra type stripes and prints"....then she used piping gel on the cutouts and put I believe luster dust and chunky sugar (or large sugar crystals) to give it texture...she then added them to the cake....hope it helps...I am not a professional and really new to this, but that's what she did and it looked really cool

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 8

This doesn't have the sugar on top, but you are correct that's exactly how it was made.
Isn't it great to have an answer, MAndeepthemom? I remember how excited I was the first time I could answer a question on here.
Welcome to CC both of you!

newnancy Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 8

THANKS everybody, I needed that! I will check out youtube & see if I can find it. That is what I thought it was but was afraid to assume. What do you think is the best way to apply it to buttercreme? Would you have to make these stripes as you decorate or could you make them in advance? I was just wondering how long it would take since I'm sooooo slow.

Thanks again,
Nancy

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 8

You can make them a day or so ahead if you wrap them well in plastic wrap & put them flat into an airtight container....they won't dry out. You want them flexible when you put them on the cake. Just study the cake and draw & cut out the pieces as you want them to look.
To apply to b'cream I recommend you pipe open circles of b'cream (w/tip 3) top & bottom then stick them on. These circles of icing will have a suction effect to hold the pieces in place.
I know others have said they brush the backs of pieces w/water or piping gel but I think my way works bettericon_smile.gif

newnancy Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 8

THANKS kakeladi.....I like your idea.....I would never if thought of that & it makes cents that the suction would hold much better. I need all the help I can get, it's been a long time since I made a wedding cake for another family member or any other cake for that matter. I'm also going to try your WASC recipe this weekend to make some mini cupcakes for the bridal shower. You're a great help & I love reading all you post.

Thanks,
Nancy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%