Non-Traditional Baby Shower Cake Ideas Needed, Please!

Decorating By korensmommy Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 1:36pm by SweetToothBaker

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:45am
post #1 of 14

I have an order for a 9" round and 1/4 sheet cake for an upcoming co-ed baby shower, they are having a boy. She is having an all day, round-the-clock shower for the mom & dad-to-be. She wants something non-traditional, something that will be the centerpiece for her party.

Here is the criteria:
*no pastel blue or baby blue
*would like green, red, white and dark blue to match the baby's room
*incorporate the baby's name, Beaux

There are so many cakes in the baby shower section, it's impossible to look at all of them.
Does anyone have any favorites that match the criteria?

Thanks!

13 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 14

Do you know what bedding they have? You could match it to that. I did one (in my pics) with similar colors. They had a sports bedding so I incorporated that.

korensmommy Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:13am
post #3 of 14

Great idea about the bedding--I will ask when she calls back tomorrow.
She did say both mom and dad love football, but the bedding is not a sports theme.

korensmommy Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:43am
post #4 of 14

Anyone else, please?

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:57am
post #5 of 14

Hi, I am not sure what an around the clock all day baby shower is ...but
is she sure she wants a sheet and round or is she open to ideas?

For non traditional , I just wouldnt think sheet cake thats all. But even if she does want that for sure, you could turn the round on top into a baby rump cake. Those are always a great hit! You can tailor the colors and/or bedding design on the blanket that lays across the rump.

Hope this helps! There is a baby rump cake in my photos if you want a visual. It is atop another round not a sheet but is easily adaptable

stfd211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stfd211 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:59am
post #6 of 14

I'd make the 9 in round a clock face. Use curling ribbon in the color scheme to make a large "cloud" of color around the cake.

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 14

dunno how different she is... but...........
LL

korensmommy Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 14

The Dali image would make an awsome cake, but it's way above my skill level!
I made a 9" clock face for New Years, I'll see if she likes that idea.
Thanks everyone and I'll post a pic when I'm done.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:07am
post #9 of 14

As far as non traditional, what about those cute baby-in-a-washtub cakes? I am sure you could incorporate the colors one way or another i.e. the flooring, towels, whatever...oh unless using baby blue for the WATER is a no no?

Use the term "bath baby tub" in the gallery search box to see what I mean.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:41am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

As far as non traditional, what about those cute baby-in-a-washtub cakes? I am sure you could incorporate the colors one way or another i.e. the flooring, towels, whatever...oh unless using baby blue for the WATER is a no no?

Use the term "bath baby tub" in the gallery search box to see what I mean.

You could always make bubbles instead of the blue water icon_smile.gif

cakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesign Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 10:26am
post #11 of 14

would they like a wagon made from sheet cake and round could be used for a package cake or cut up into one of those stackable toys with the different colord rings ..or just do blocks in the colors with the baby name on them inside of wagon ..hope this is understandable ...

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:44am
post #12 of 14

How into football are they? For something really non-traditional it would kind of be cute to shape a football and have the baby lying on top of the football with a romper in the team colours, then you could have either just the name on the football or a phrase like "Waiting for ..........'s newest fan Beaux"

korensmommy Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:16pm
post #13 of 14

Ooohhhh...I like this, thanks!!
I was having trouble thinking of something non-traditional for the sheetcake (which to me is a traditional cake!) and I could do this idea on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnick

How into football are they? For something really non-traditional it would kind of be cute to shape a football and have the baby lying on top of the football with a romper in the team colours, then you could have either just the name on the football or a phrase like "Waiting for ..........'s newest fan Beaux"

SweetToothBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetToothBaker Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:36pm
post #14 of 14

The most non-traditional baby shower cake, but still a cake. Make it look like a diaper cake. Have all of the colors incorporated in the items you place on it. Unless it would be too big. I'm dyng to make one. You could put the baby's name on a ribbon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%