Confetti Cake? Help!

Decorating By mommapaul3 Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 10:17pm by Jayde

mommapaul3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommapaul3 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:56am
post #1 of 16

My brother-in-law got engaged on Sunday and they asked me to do the cake. Normally I make a WASC cake for weddings, which is pretty moist and dense. He wants light and fluffy - and specifically, he wants a light and fluffy confetti cake. I just can't bring myself to make a wedding cake straight from the box, does anyone know of a way I can doctor it up to taste fantastic, but still be light and fluffy?

Incidentally, DH kept telling them that I could bake up a bunch of different cakes for them to try and see what they liked. Not just cakes, but 10" cakes! icon_confused.gif Considering I'm doing this for cost of supplies (so basically for free), he got the royal stink eye for that suggestion.

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:13am
post #2 of 16

Would he be ok if you made a box confetti tier for him and the bride to cut into, and then made your regular recipe for the rest of the wedding cake? Or better yet .... maybe offer to "compromise" and make a groom's cake in box-confetti for him?

mommapaul3 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:07am
post #3 of 16

I tried suggesting the different tiers but he said he didn't want that since he would be stuck with whatever cake was left over, even when we told him that wasn't likely (he has 8 brothers and 2 sisters, plus any number of nieces, nephews and sisters-in-law - not a likely problem). The bride was no help. She's the type that just goes with the flow and does what everyone else wants - with the one exception that she doesn't like chocolate. *SIGH* If things keep going this way they're going to get a confetti cake from a box with plain white frosting and no decorations. Oh well, at least that's easy. icon_sad.gif

Also, grooms cakes are not really done in this area and they about choked on the dirt cheap preliminary price I quoted them, so I don't think they'll go for an additional cake.

indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:10am
post #4 of 16

You know ..... if one of my relatives was getting a free cake and they made a comment about being "stuck" with the leftover cake, I'd tell him where to shove his leftover cake and then he wouldn't have to worry about eating it at ALL! icon_mad.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:16am
post #5 of 16

I actually use white duncan hines with whole eggs and white chocolate pudding (and the extra egg etc)....and then add jimmies to it. It turns out fluffy/moist and people who order confetti cake really like it.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:18am
post #6 of 16

I'm pretty sure the boxed confetti cake is just white cake mix with sprinkles...couldnt you just make WASC as usual and add some sprinkles or could you use 2 boxes of the confetti mix in place of the plain white mix in the recipe???

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:18am
post #7 of 16

You can add this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-Cake-Mix-extender.html

to any box mix and it will turn out wonderfully moist, with a smaller crumb like a scratch cake. I sub the water for half and half mixed with 1- 2 tbsp. of vinegar. Whisk together and let it sit while youa re assembling the rest of your ingredients. It will curdle a bit, but that is what you want.

Also, you could make your WASC and then just add your own confetti. Those large round sprinkles in bright colors makes good confetti, you could even get them in one color (you would probably have to order them online) to match any bridesmaid dresses...Kinda cute idea, red confetti cake on the inside with red ribbon, red flowers on the outside kinda thing.

Hope I helped a bit. And like Debi said any family member who was getting free cake better not complain or even dictate to me what they want or dont want. I usually demand decorators choice when "I" am footing the bill for the cake.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:29am
post #8 of 16

I thought a confetti cake was any cake mix that has jimmies in it. I would still make a wasc cake and ask the sprinkles and you get what you both prefer.

indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:37am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

Also, you could make your WASC and then just add your own confetti. Those large round sprinkles in bright colors makes good confetti...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar wishes

I thought a confetti cake was any cake mix that has jimmies in it. I would still make a wasc cake and ask the sprinkles and you get what you both prefer.

If I'm confused, correct me, but based on this statement.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommapaul3

My brother-in-law got engaged on Sunday and they asked me to do the cake. Normally I make a WASC cake for weddings, which is pretty moist and dense. He wants light and fluffy -

I believe the issue is that he wants sprinkles AND a "light and fluffy" cake .... implying NOT her regular scratch or doctored cake. If that's the issue, then just adding sprinkles to the WASC isn't what he wants.

I STILL say you need to suggest where he can store the leftovers! icon_twisted.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:38am
post #10 of 16

I frequently add sprinkles (or jimmies or whatever they're called in your neck of the woods) to children's cakes, especially smash cakes as I think it's a nice little surprise for them. You can add them to any recipe, in my experience.

mycakeplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mycakeplace Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:15am
post #11 of 16

I've actually done this before! Just make whatever type of white cake that you were going to and just toss a handful of confetti into the batter. If you are worried about it sinking you might want to try tossing the confetti with a little flour before you fold it into the batter. Same concept as adding nuts to a brownie mix. Hope that helps.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:22am
post #12 of 16

Dont know what you've decided but I came across a cake in the cake disasters and she said it was due to the light fluffy confetti cake and in fact said "confetti no stacki" sorry cant remember who it was. I had a thought as well, what about making cupcakes? I've seen some beautifully decorated and displayed for weddings. Just explain to him that if he wants confetti cake it will not be structurally sound and you cant stack it, so if he really wants it then he needs to have sheet cake or cupcakes...anyway just an idea.

mommapaul3 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:41am
post #13 of 16

Yes, I already talked them out of a stacked cake, so that crisis is averted. What bugs me is that we all tried to convince him that he was only getting one slice of the tapedshut.gif cake anyway. He's never even tried my other cakes (I don't know why, I specifically told them both to try some at the last family wedding I did knowing full well they would be next). I'm having them over in a few weeks for DS's birthday where I'm serving a confetti WASC cake. I'll win them over yet.

Indydebi, you crack me up! I wish I could get away with saying stuff like that. Some people can get away with it, but not me icon_cry.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really liked the one about matching the confetti to the wedding colors. I'm not sure they make it in baby blue, though. I'll have to check.

indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:10am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

Dont know what you've decided but I came across a cake in the cake disasters and she said it was due to the light fluffy confetti cake and in fact said "confetti no stacki" sorry cant remember who it was. I had a thought as well, what about making cupcakes? I've seen some beautifully decorated and displayed for weddings. Just explain to him that if he wants confetti cake it will not be structurally sound and you cant stack it, so if he really wants it then he needs to have sheet cake or cupcakes...anyway just an idea.

Uh ... not necessarily true.

I made a confetti cake ... used regular Betty Crocker white cake mix and added the specific colors the bride wanted (had to order them thru my cake supply store). Didn't flour coat them, just mixed 'em in with the oil and the eggs.

It was a 4-tier stacked, basketweave and it held up fine. Remember, the cake has nothing to do with being able to stack it or not. It's your support system that supports the upper tiers.

If you could make a tier out of Cool Whip, it would support the upper tiers because the Cool Whip would not be supporting the tier ... the support system would be.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:17am
post #15 of 16

Is it bad that I loooooove these types of cakes? I adore funfetti? I would never serve it to a client, but, yummy. icon_lol.gif I really loved the frosting that went with it, but i don't think they sell it anymore. icon_sad.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:17pm
post #16 of 16

If you add the cake extender it still makes your cakes light and fluffy, IMO. Its somewhere inbetween a scratch cake (more dense) and a plain cake mix (really light anf fluffy).

No matter what recipe that you use, I think the gist was that you can use sprinkles to achieve your 'confetti' look. I think it really depends on 'their' definition of light and fluffy. If you have the time and inclination, I would just perform a little taste test experiment on them.

Bake a plain white from a box, the WASC, and a doctored mix. Dont tell them which is which and make them choose their favorite.

Light and fluffy may not mean the same thing to everyone....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%