Help Golden Colored Cakes

Decorating By charmie Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm by charmie

charmie Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 7

I see alot of golden colored cakes in the gallery and I am wondering if some one can tell me how to color the icing/fondent that gold color ?

6 replies
Birdlady Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:32am
post #2 of 7

HI
TO get gold on buttercream you will need to airbursh with luster dust and alcohol. Same for fondant or it can be painted. YOu mix the luster dust with either everclear, lemon extract. Then you have a gold paint.

Hope this helps

charmie Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:48am
post #3 of 7

Thanks. How much luster dust would you use? These cakes looks like it is mixed right in. The color is so golen.

Birdlady Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:01am
post #4 of 7

I don't have exact amounts. I just add the alcohol to the dust, not too much. Take a paint brush and test, if it is too see through, add more dust. Does this make sense.

charmie Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 7

Yes it makes sense. The cakes I seen in the gallery are 3 teir wedding cakes and they are totally covered so they would take alot. I just got an airbrush, any tips you have for useing it i would be greatful.
Kriss

Birdlady Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 7

Hi Kriss.

Actually it doesn't take too much luster dust when you use the airbrush. It is the best way to get gold. Use a single action airbrush pen. You can get the detail pen for fine work. My advice is to play. To me that is the best way to learn.

Have fun
Dawn

charmie Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the help
Kriss

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%