Fondant Figurines

Decorating By calivettie Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 4:19am by calivettie

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All,

I made my first figures over the weekend and was actually pretty satisfied with them. However, I wanted to keep them and their arms broke off this morning. I didn't do anyhing harsh and I don't understand why this happened.

Is there anything I can do to make them last longer? Or at least not break or crack when handling?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I would want to be able to make the fondant figures ahead of time and not worry about this.

TIA icon_lol.gif

4 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 5

If you have figurines with appendages that stick out considerably from the body, you might consider forming the whole thing around wire first, give it some internal support.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 5

Was your fondant too dry? That's what it sounds like it could be.
Using 50/50 fondant and gumpaste and mixing in some crisco when you knead is recommended by the experts here on CC......helps keep the medium from drying out when making figures
HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:16am
post #4 of 5

What did you use to attach the arms? Do you have any pix for us to see? Maybe we can help better w/that info.

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:19am
post #5 of 5

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, but these are the only ones I have atm.

I attached her arms with a bit of "glue" but one of them broke midway, not at the attaching point.

I used two toothpicks to attach her tail to her body. Should I have added wire or a toothpick in the arms too?

I did knead in a bit of crisco, so I don't think my fondant was too dry...
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%