Silver On Fondant?

Decorating By nicolesprinkle Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm by lucysmam

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 5

How do I get a silver look on my cake? I have already colored my fondant grey, but I want to give it a shiny metal look! DOes Wilton make something that would do it? Thanks

4 replies
lucysmam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucysmam Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 5

I was just about to ask about this too! I wondered about either edible paint or silver lustre dust & which would provide the better silver effect

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 5

Silver Luster Dust.

Depending on how "silvery" you want it to look, you can either brush it on dry, or mix it into a liquid and apply with a brush. Dry brushing with give it a little sheen, but not make it look like silver. Mixing with a liquid will make it look like real-ish silver.

I mix my luster dust with vodka (dries quickly with no flavor or residue), but I've heard of others mixing it in an extract: lemon, almond or vanilla. It just has to be soemthing with a high liquor content so it dries quickly.

I used silver luster dust mixed with vodka on this cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1293465
The photo doesn't show how shiny it actually is, but the silver really looks like metal.

lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolesprinkle

How do I get a silver look on my cake? I have already colored my fondant grey, but I want to give it a shiny metal look! DOes Wilton make something that would do it? Thanks

I just made a cake with a silver transformers mask on top. I used silver powdered food color, and added a few drops of vodka to the powder. It was a little thinner than paste. I then painted the fondant with the "paint". It looked great, very shiny! And it was totally edible. Sorry I don't know the exact name of the product, but it was powdered. Attached is the cake with the silver mask!
LL

lucysmam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucysmam Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 5

they're brilliant! I know a few people who have made R2D2 & he always looks fab made up. I'll order the lustre dust tonight ready for next week, & try it out both dry & mixed with a little vodka to see which gives me the better effect for what I'm after. Thanks very much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%