Non Moist Cake Mixs

Decorating By jolly Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 12:43am by JanH

jolly Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 5

does any of the big co. sell regular cake mix, im sorry but i want box cake for my topsy turvy. dunkin hines, pillsbury, what or who

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:53am
post #2 of 5

Actually any of those will work. Duncan Hines; pills OR Betty Crocker.
If you use my WASC recipe it will be the right consistency for that style of cake. If you need the recipe just pm me.

JanH Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:14am
post #3 of 5

Why would you want a non-moist cake mix?

Duncan Hines doesn't contain pudding mix in their formulation, if that's what you're really asking. icon_smile.gif

And any cake, mix or scratch can be made non-moist by overbaking. icon_eek.gif

If you want a firm cake, why not make a pound cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=pound&cat_id=16&x=5&y=16

HTH

cakesdivine Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 5

All name brand cake mixes are naturally moist, and contrary to JanH's comment, DH is the moistest brand on the market regardless of not having the pudding. If you add pudding, the cake will more than likely fall apart. To get a mix firm enough to hold up to wonky stacking add flour to the mix. DH gives you instructions on how much to add if doing tiered cakes.

JanH Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

All name brand cake mixes are naturally moist, and contrary to JanH's comment, DH is the moistest brand on the market regardless of not having the pudding.

You're assuming facts not in evidence. icon_lol.gif

I didn't state or imply that pudding added cake mix was preferable to cake mix without pudding... Or that pudding added to the mix made a more moist cake than a cake mix without. icon_confused.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly

does any of the big co. sell regular cake mix,

So I simply pointed out the only notable difference among the three tops brands.

And I specifically addressed how to make a non-moist cake:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

And any cake, mix or scratch can be made non-moist by overbaking.

(No hidden agenda here.) Had I been asked, I would have stated that my cake mix of choice is Duncan Hines... icon_smile.gif

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%