Can Brides Really Be This Cheap???

Decorating By jlynnw Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 4:28am by soygurl

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 15

I work at a local chain bakery. Bride comes in with her complete entourage of folks for her consult/tasting. She schedule it for 1 person only. It was set for 1 person only. 9 show up icon_mad.gif Ok no biggie, grab more, shuffle and all goes well. They bring in pics, look thru book of authorized cakes and decided on cake. They need a cake for 50 -75 people and want a 4 tier square cake. Much more than they need. "IT IS HOW MUCH?" Offended at the price they leave. I go home for the day and the bride, mom, and I guess, sis, are waiting out front. I just walk to my car and they followed me. They asked if I would make the cake from home for them!! icon_evil.gif They will pay me $100 to make a 4 tier square cake and expect me to deliver to them as well. They have asked everyone in the shop to do this!

14 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 15

Oh, that's good!!!! Duct tape can't fix stupid!

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 15

icon_eek.gif how can people make a party if they don't have money? I really don't understand that some people want a huge cake but they don't want to pay the price. 4 tier cake $100.00? crazy

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 15

Yikes, I'd steer clear of these folks they sound like they've "got issues" as my ds likes to say.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 15

OK, this is a new one. icon_surprised.gif Not only are they cheap, but RUDE as well. First, to show up with extra people in tow and not tell you ahead of time was one thing, but to wait for you outside your job at the end of the day and approach you with such a request???!

I'd politely tell them that you work for the bakery - not out of your home - and that perhaps they should find another bakery to do their cake. If they're this much trouble right now, imagine how awful they'd be to work with on the cake. I picture change after change and then not being satisfied with the final cake.

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 15

icon_confused.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 15

I had a bride last week that wanted a cake for 100-120 people and said she was on a tight budget. Asked her what kind of cake and design she had in mind. She wanted a three tier round with gumpaste roses and orchids with satin ribbon borders. I said, "okay, I can do that. How much does your budget allow for cake." Her reply: $50.00. I said, "Okay, this is a joke right?" All I heard was a click.

I don't mind working within a budget, but I am not going to give the cake away either.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 15

OMG!!! That is soooo rude-I wouldn't have fixed any extras. And secondly, that is just creepy-who stands outside and "waits" for someone????? Weird!!!

So did ya blast them or just laugh and walk away?

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 15

ROLFLMAO!!! Toooo funny!!!!!!!

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisita

...bride who wants a 5 tiered cake just for 20 servings...

Well, this confirms it for me. Some people missed 1st grade! I mean - it is the grade in school, where you learn read and count, isn't it? icon_confused.gif

How else could I meet people who can't read and understand simple sentence in a contract /college graduates, mind you/ and you meet such customers?

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:34pm
post #11 of 15

Ok, that's just creepy. Waiting for a complete stranger to get off work & follow them to their car???

I would tell your store manager about what happened, especially if they've been harassing everyone in the bakery. Hopefully they will just take a hint and leave everyone alone, but you never know...

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:36pm
post #12 of 15

What a deal for you! $100 for 4 tiers? You betcha! thumbsdown.gif

That is just...sad, and mostly because it's not shocking.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:37pm
post #13 of 15

I was dumbstruck. I laughed at them, seriously, I laughed. They even said they were going to talk to my mgr. about being rude. I was like when was I rude, when you asked me to risk my job to make you a cake that is too big and you are too cheap to pay for? Our shop will not be making their cake, nor any of the other location in town. I don't get what the deal is. A small private wedding and reception with cake for 2 to 3 times the amount they need? Are they only serving cake because they are too cheap to get anything else? I just don't get this. This is almost as bad as the foodstamp thing.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:13am
post #14 of 15

Seriously, I can't believe they waited outside for you. That is "stalkerish" behavior. What were they thinking??

And to Eisskween -- I can't believe that the lady wanted the cake for $50. Are you kidding me? That's the worst I have EVER heard!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisskween

I had a bride last week that wanted a cake for 100-120 people and said she was on a tight budget. Asked her what kind of cake and design she had in mind. She wanted a three tier round with gumpaste roses and orchids with satin ribbon borders. I said, "okay, I can do that. How much does your budget allow for cake." Her reply: $50.00. I said, "Okay, this is a joke right?" All I heard was a click.

I don't mind working within a budget, but I am not going to give the cake away either.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:28am
post #15 of 15

Ok, so no doubt, some people are extremely rude.

But even more people are just plain clueless. And then you have the lovely group of rude AND clueless.

Whenever I get someone with any crazy outrageous expectations (usually price relate), I ask them how long they think [insert whatever they want] would take someone to make. This usually makes a person pause and think... sometimes that's all it takes, and they backtrack. Other times I get guesses like "about an hour maybe?" or "uh... I dunno... 3 hours?" so I can retort with the actual approximation of time it would take which is often met with dropped jaws, or gaps of shock. Occasionally someone will guess pretty close to the reality, and in that case I remind them that I have to pay for ingredients (which can really add up on a large cake), electricity (etc.) AND still get payed for my time. Once they have MY perspective MOST people quickly change their tune.

One time I actually asked a (comically LOW budget icon_rolleyes.gif ) bride to multiply the number of hours it takes me to make the cake she wanted by the local minimum wage, and asked her if (with my years of experience, schooling, artistic ability, etc.) I should get payed less than someone just starting out at McDs to make her WEDDING CAKE?!? The look on her face was PRICELESS! icon_lol.gif

Honestly... some people just don't have a CLUE, and IMHO, it never hurts to try and GIVE them a clue! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%