Family Reunion Location Ideas Needed...

Lounge By mlynnb Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 6:45pm by Kayakado

mlynnb Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all! I'm hoping some of you will be able to help me out with ideas, or at least point me in the right direction! icon_wink.gif
I've been sort of put in charge of planning a 'reunion' of cousins on my mom's side of the family---I'm the oldest cousin, so the honor fell to me! icon_cool.gif
Anyway, there are only going to be approximately 20 of us (that includes kids), so it's not a a huge endevour, but I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on locations. Most of us live up and down the east coast, with the exception of my family (OH) and my cousin in CO. I'm trying to think of areas maybe in TN, NC, SC, or possibly GA that would have A) lodging for a group B) variety of stuff to do ranging from children to mid-thirties and C) cost-effectiveness.
I actually even looked up 3 to 4 night cruises, but since I must not have been born with the tech-savvy gene icon_redface.gif , I'm having a little trouble even searching for stuff!
We're thinking of doing this get-together in summer 2010, so I've got a little time, but would love to get some thoughts together to present to the rest of the fam.
Any thoughts at all would be apprecitated!

9 replies
KHalstead Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 10

What about camping?? My family and I love it and it's great for bonding. It allows you to spend loads of time with eachother, but at the same time most campgrounds have fishing, swimming, bingo, playgrounds for kids, and other activities going on. How does your family feel about camping?? Depending on your needs you could even rent a camper, otherwise tents are inexpensive. could be fun!

mlynnb Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 10

You know, I thought about camping, I know OH has some great State Parks with nice's the thing: there would have to be cabins. I have two cousins who are not really the camping type. I love them to death, but they are definitely a lttle more high maintenance, if you know what I mean! thumbs_up.gif I know there is a state park here in OH (Lake Hope State Park) that has really nice cabins and they're relatively inexpensive, but I think that I'm really looking for a more central location to everyone. Hmmm, I wonder if there is a national directory with state park listings and lodging info? Thanks for the thought!

mary-ann Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 10

The NC Outer Banks are a good bargain the week of Memorial Day.
Summer in Orlando is also a good price if you don't mind the heat. I've done family reunions in both places with huge houses and pools. HTH

TheCakerator Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 10

there are huge cabins in gatlinburg and pigeon forge TN, groups of 20 or more can sleep in one cabin or get individual smaller cabins if you prefer .. there is stuff for EVERYONE to do in that area of TN!

VannaD Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 10

I was going to say the same thing the cakerator said"pigeon forge and Gatlinburg." There is also tons to do in the area. Dollywood and all kinds of stuff just google "cabins in ___" and all kinds of stuff will pop up. You can also google something like "things to do in_____" and it will give you a list. We used to have our family reunion at a state park, it was only a one day thing though because b/c everyone lived within a couple hours. Ive also heard of ppl having family reunions at Disney world, but thats probably out of your way, and way more than you'd want to spend. Well good luck, like you said, you have plenty of time still. I forgot to mention some of the places that rent cabins let you put a downpayment and then pay monthly until its paid for, thats pretty convenient.

kimkait Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:28am
post #7 of 10
maryjsgirl Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:37am
post #8 of 10

I also thought Pigeon Forge would be great. Here is a cabin I had bookmarked that you may like...

mlynnb Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for all your replies...seems like Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area is a good place to concentrate on. Actually, that would work out well as far a being close to middle ground for everyone.
maryjsgirl: Wow icon_eek.gif That is some cabin!!! It's beautiful..
Thanks ladies- at least now I am pointed in a direction!

Kayakado Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 10

A number of the Florida state parks have built cabins that sleep a dozen people and they are next to each other in the specific parks. It is probably too far for some of your family. Can't ou pick a spot in the middle. Many national forests have group guest accomodations in lodges and such. Check into state/national parks group accomodations. My mother always arranges for us to go to Chincoteague or Outer Banks and rents guests houses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%