Using Whipped Ganache As Filling?

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 5:54pm by __Jamie__

chilz822 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 11

I need to make a cake that will be torted into 5 smaller layers. Plain ol' vanilla cake with chocolate buttercream. To give it a little something extra, I think I want to try my hand at a ganache.

I've read that the whipped version has a good texture and tastes like a chocolate truffle. I think I'm going to use this as filling between the torted layers.

For those of you that have used it, do you think I need to dam the layers to prevent bulging (I'm also trying my hand on this cake as thre Viva method, first time!)? How far in advance can I make this cake without compromising the ganache? Would it need to be refrigerated?

Thank you all in advance for your wonderfulness!

10 replies
Chef_Stef Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 11

I use whipped white chocolate ganache for wedding cakes and always do an icing dam. They are decorated the day before delivery and kept in the fridge until delivery. I wouldn't leave it out.

pianocat Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 11

I always use a dam-even for reg. bc. Whipped ganache is thick and it is wonderful, but I would still use a dam, especially since you are making choc. bc anyway.

chilz822 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 11

Awesome, thank you for the advice! My cake is due Thursday, so I guess I'll make it after work Wednesday and refrigetate.

Thanks again!

debster Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 11

I agree with the above posters, and yes your going to love the ganache. It does taste just like a chocolate truffle!!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

allie73 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 11

Yes, I would do a dam. The last time I used wcg, the result was somewhat of a disaster. I used the Whimsical BakeHouse recipe (same one that's on this site). I usually add a touch more chocolate than that recipe calls for, always with wonderful results. Last time, I forgot and got the dreaded bulge, no matter how much I chilled it.

chilz822 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 11

allie73, which recipe is that?

allie73 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 11

I used this recipe:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2328-0-Whipped-Chocolate-Ganache.html

There is another recipe - Whipped Chocolate Ganache II. I basically combine the two recipes, and I've had success. I heat the cream, pour over the chocolate (I use choc. chips), and stir until smooth, then chill. I add a little more chocolate than the link calls for, and a little less than recipe II calls for. I hope this has been a help rather than a confusion - I'm good at that lately!

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I agree with the above posters, and yes your going to love the ganache. It does taste just like a chocolate truffle!!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

That's because ganache is exactly what a truffle is! icon_wink.gif

debster Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:50am
post #10 of 11

Jamie.......... Your mean something actually tastes like it's supposed to? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That is some good stuff when it's whipped.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 11

I could eat ganache outta the bowl. In fact, I think I ate a few spponfulls one day....tummy didn't like it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%