Bridal Doll Cake

Decorating By Traci9130 Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 12:08pm by Traci9130

Traci9130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Traci9130 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 10

Hi. I am making a Bridal Doll cake for a bridal shower and I am trying to get the look of a flowing gown on the bottom of the "dress" Any Idea on how to accomplish this? It be proving to be more difficult than I would of thought it would be. I would post a pic of the cake that I am hoping to do, but since it is not mine and I got it from a pic on this website, I am not sure that that is allowed. ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

9 replies
Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 10

By flowing gown do you mean a train at the back? I have done that using fondant, or do you mean thegown itself should have falling fabric that gathers at the base? Either way fondant should achieve the fabric flow look.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 10

Here's one by momkiksbutt:
(There are more in her gallery.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-150351-.html

HTH

Traci9130 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 10

Jan...I just looked at the link that you posted...is that fondant??? It totally looks like fabric!!!!

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 10

The dress gets over the edge of the cake. You will have hell of time making and transporting this.
Think fondant swags on a cake - you need to fold it, prop it on several places till it dries to hold the form, not speaking about the wonderful finish.
My first advice - get second pair of hands - you will need it. And show me the finished cake, please.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 10

Oh, and one thing I have forgotten - you need to work as a seamstress, too. I would get pattern for wedding gown for barbie and work from there...

Traci9130 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:20am
post #7 of 10

I am just starting at this..I cannot do anything as extensive as that..After seeing that pic, which was beautiful, I would be embarrassed to show you a pic of what I have done....I wish I could do what you have shown, but I don't think I am at that point...I just wanted a little ruffely bottom, to simulate a dress...I LOVE the pic that was sent though, it's something to aspire to. What I am doing is making a dress on a dress dummy, so to speak...I took off the arms and head, put black fondant over the doll and I have that drying...Now I am practicing the dress portion. I have the wonder mold and I am putting fondant over it...I wish I could attach the pic of it that I saw on here...If you can imagine, it covers the cake and then right at the very bottom it ruffles all the way around...I am trying to get it to do that...

chrstmaskd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrstmaskd Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:35am
post #8 of 10

I just did a bridal dress cake the other weekend. I covered the wonder mold cake with white fondant and then used white fondant and a fondant cutter to cut out the ruffle piece you are looking for and attached it to the bottom of the dress so that the ruffle didn't go past the bottom. I also used the same ruffle to split the front of the dress to make it look like there were two parts to it. I picked up the cutter at my local cake supply shop, however I am sure you could probably find the same thing at AC Moore, Michaels, or online. Here is the link to the cake that I did. Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1321304

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:14am
post #9 of 10

I am trying to do the same thing!! I have a wedding shower to go to and the person asked me to make the cake.

I found a pic of a lovely square cake that I am going to go by in the Gallery. I want to put a mini bride on top using my Wilton Mini Wonder Mold. I am not going to use cake, because the bride to be wants to keep it awhile.

SO.... I think I have decided to use all fondant. I have a doll pick that I am using, filled the mold with white fondant, and then take extra fondant and make the dress with it. Lucky for me, this girls dress is super simple!!

The only thing I am worried about is, making my bride in all fondant, it's going to be heavy!

Traci9130 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:08pm
post #10 of 10

Maybe ou can use Styrofoma and cover that in fondant...I have used Styrofoma to make dummy cakes before...why not do that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%