Help Achieving Crisp Lettering.......pls.

Decorating By cakes22 Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm by dandelion56602

cakes22 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 9

I was asked to do a cake for a company & they want their logo on it. Its just a 1/2slab cake, nothing fancy. Their logo is done in a very crisp font and I don't have a food safe printer, so doing an edible image is out. Whats the best way to achieve crisp lettering? Should I try a FBCT? or just try to do my best freehand??
Aghh.....can you tell I'm just starting out.
How much easier would life be with a food safe printer & an airbrush!!! icon_cry.gif

8 replies
Lee15 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 9

You can try a color flow piece. Or a FBC transfer. Or if you are really confident in your writing, practice on wax paper first before attempting it on the cake.

Good luck.

msulli10 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 9

You could try cutting the letters out of fondant or gumpaste. I have also tried tracing the letters on wax paper and then piping with royal icing. It takes a steady hand and lots of practice. Good luck.

majka_ze Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 9

Another idea, similar to color flow is to make a fondant plaque which you then place on the cake.

You can prepare it beforehand, print the logo on normal paper, mark the writing with a toothpick and overpipe. If you mess a little, you can scratch this part and try again. If it is a complete failure, you can try till you get it. It is only a piece of fondant, not a whole cake. By making this beforehand, you have all the time.

And remember - with buttercream you can almost always scrap it and re-ice and most mistakes can be covered thumbs_up.gif

Good luck!

suz3 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 9

I recently bought an edible image from WalMart. You might check with a local store bakery to see if that is a possibility.

sportsmom005 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 9

When is the cake due? I've ordered edible images off of ebay. I emailed the image I wanted and they mailed me the edible one. It didn't take too long.

slopokesgirl Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 9

The best way to make crisp lettering that can hold firm is by using Modeling chocolate.

And it gets solid fast so that you will not have the week long drying time of fondant or gumpaste.

cakes22 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 9

The cake is being picked up Thursday night.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I knew I could count on you guys thumbs_up.gif .

I'm going to try a couple of things, see which works best. I like the fondant plaque. I'm making fondant tonight in my cake course. I'll scoop some from there to practice on!!
I never have done a FBCT, but I have done images using the pinprick method
This is one of those things that could lead to more orders.....eeekkk! icon_biggrin.gif So I really want it to turn out well. My nerves get the best of me and then I start questioning my abilities. I think I need to cut back on the caffine

Thanks again everyone.

dandelion56602 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 9

Don't forget if you want the plaque to harden quicker to add tylose to the fondant. Or there are some good gumpaste recipes out there too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%