Are You Serious????

Decorating By sugarwishes Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 12:26am by costumeczar

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:47am
post #1 of 27

So I was watching the show Platinum Weddings last night on WE. The couple ordered a 3-tier cake, it was all chocolate with mocha and ganache filling, frosted with chocolate buttercream and then covered in chocolate ganache. Each tier was the same. Then they put a large gold luster dusted fondant bow, and 'painted' little gold dots cascading from the top tier to the bottom, but only from the bow down, not the whole cake.

SO hey always tell you how much everything costs on this show and said the cake was $2,500.00 I couldn't believe it!!!!! There was nothing to the cake!!! The biggest the sizes were had to have been 14-10-6!!!! I'm hoping they got a ton of sheet cakes that werent shown, or they just seriously paid wayyyy to much.

I'm all for charging more for your work but that's a lil ridiculous, there wasn't any intricate designs or hard labor, it was an extremely simple cake!

26 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:52am
post #2 of 27

I'd love to see that cake.......

I am pricing a 3 tier for a girl right now......I guess I WAY underpriced! lol

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 27

Sometimes I think on TV they just inflate the $$$$. DH used to say that -but now I tend to agree with him!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 27

Ok, not to sond silly, but the title of the program is "Platinum Weddings" not "KMart Weddings" Hahahahaha!! Of course they are going to overpay! There are places out there that can charge that because of where they are, and who their clientele are. Like one of our favorite TV Cake Makers... they have earned that notoriety and can 'get away' with it. I am just jealous as all heck!!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 27

If a cake that large was enrobed in ganache you darn right you charge that amount! Have you ever done poured fondant before? It is pain enough on small cakes let alone a large cake. And it depends on who the baker was. Was it a big wedding? because the dimensions you stated only serves 128 people. Most Platinum weddings they show have at least 200+ in attendance. It might have been larger than you thought.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 27

Not to mention the cost of all that chocolate in the cake, filling, icing etc. I was just looking at the new Bride magazine and there were cakes in there advertised at $25 per slice.

So if they use that price matrix, it's about right for the cake you described.....a little less then $25 per slice actually.

Premium chocolate is very expensive. I personally wouldn't pay $25 a slice for ANYTHING, but if you can get someone to pay it, all the power to ya!

jamison3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamison3boys Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

If a cake that large was enrobed in ganache you darn right you charge that amount! Have you ever done poured fondant before? It is pain enough on small cakes let alone a large cake. And it depends on who the baker was. Was it a big wedding? because the dimensions you stated only serves 128 people. Most Platinum weddings they show have at least 200+ in attendance. It might have been larger than you thought.

let's be real here! regardless of the ingredients, that would still be $12.50 a serving for 200 guests! that is insane! of course, i'm from a small town and am sure i don't charge enough. kudos to the baker that charged that much and got it!

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 27

I saw that wedding too. New years theme. I found nothing special about that cake at all. Absolutely nothing. In my opinion - the whole wedding was just yuck!
Besides that bow was so unprofessional. And it looked like the base cake was like 12"/ 14" at most. Only thing that made sense was the floral work. Everything else -- waste.....

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 27

hey if someone's willing to pay for it...

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison3boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

let's be real here! regardless of the ingredients, that would still be $12.50 a serving for 200 guests! that is insane! of course, i'm from a small town and am sure i don't charge enough. kudos to the baker that charged that much and got it!

Nope...I have a potential client who has not choked on the $13.00/svg price I've quoted her for the cake she wants. If she wants it bad enough, she will pay me appropriately for the time and gourmet ingredients involved. No, I don't live in Beverly Hills, and this isn't a daughter of a Trump.

I'm glad there are prices like that out there. One more opportunity for me to say "at least it's not gonna cost ya that much!". But in this case....yes, it will! icon_smile.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 27

Where is my diatribe?

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm
post #12 of 27

What do you think Syliva Weinstock would charge? Or Ron Ben Israel? Probably not too far off.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #13 of 27

Or wait.....Charm City.....$1000 minimum order, right??

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:47pm
post #14 of 27

I saw that. I remember thinking it was overpriced for what they got. I didn't personally care for the design but it was what the bride and groom wanted I suppose. If I remember correctly, they were in CA. The venue was overlooking the hollywood hills. Prices in CA are significantly higher than elsewhere in the world.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:07pm
post #15 of 27

Maybe the gold bow and dots were made out of pure 24K gold????? That is edible, ya know, and in some Eastern cultures they do use it in food.

Okay, I don't believe that is it. Some people think that if you pay more than anyone else, you must have the best. (I worked in a preschool that sold that idea to the parents-oh, if they only knew)

On another program they were showing ice cream and cocktails that were costing thousands of dollars, because they included gold spoons and pieces of jewelry and diamonds.

Oh yeah, as I often quote, "there's a sucker born every minute"

jamison3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamison3boys Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:11pm
post #16 of 27

when i've got my own show on foodnetwork, i'll be sure to charge a $1000 minimum. since that isn't in my near future, i don't live near a city and i would like to continue getting business, i'll stick with my more reasonable prices. don't get me wrong, i'd love to charge that much, but no one around here would be willing to pay it.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:34pm
post #17 of 27

If that cake was covered in and filled with ganache... you are talking POUNDS and POUNDS of premium chocolate. The chocolate for the cake alone would have run in the hundreds of dollars. And people have no problem paying for a name... so why not? Hell if I could charge $25/slice I would.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:43pm
post #18 of 27

When I was selling cakes, I charged $50 for a 8" round of my chocolate ganache torte and people jumped at the chance to pay that "little" for that cake. I used very high quality chocolate (Ghiradelli, before they sold out) though and I'm sure that bakery did as well (at least I would hope they did). Not too shabby if you ask me...

sugarwishes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm
post #19 of 27

I agree that charging that much in certain areas and because the show was "platinum weddings" they're gonna pay more but I was more shocked that they paid $2500 for what they got. I've never done anything with poured fondant and I will admit it looked great it was the design that was terrible. I didn't elaborate too much in my first post but the bow was terrible and the dots were sloppy.

They also made it seem like the decorator wasn't well known, just a mother-daughter partnership, not some big famous cake shop like Charm City Cakes. I'm gonna try and find a picture of this cake to post up and show you.

sugarwishes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:50pm
post #20 of 27

Here's the link to the cake:

http://www.wetv.com/photo-galleries/platinum-weddings-andrea-and-glenn/the-cake.html

It looks blurry but you get the idea.

I think the decorator did a nice job with a few minor things I didn't like, I was just shocked at how much it costs.

Tita9499 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm
post #21 of 27

Ahhhh! NO! I just found the cake on the WE website and there's no way, even with chocolate that GOD Himself created, is that cake worth anything close to 2,500! That cake was so small, that the people who paid for it had to have been smoking something to pay that much!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:59pm
post #22 of 27

Ditto, Tita9499!
I'm a beginner, and I could (almost!) pull that one off!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:00pm
post #23 of 27

ya know.. that wedding was on new years eve too. I bet they charged extra for that.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:16pm
post #24 of 27

Oh for the love of Pete... I wish I could charge that much for that little cake. I do not mean to disparage the cake in any way, there is nothing wrong with it, but it's tiny, and that is a LOT of money!! Especially with the economy the way it is now. icon_rolleyes.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:17pm
post #25 of 27

Well.....that just doesn't seem right, based on the actual picture!

Tita9499 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:01am
post #26 of 27

That's crazy ridiculous. Those people couldn't feed my DH's immediate family with that little ol thang.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:26am
post #27 of 27

I was watching Amazing Wedding Cakes, and one of the Cake Divas in L.A. (if I remember correctly) was talking about having the detail on cakes perfect, because then you can say "that's a $7000 wedding cake." I almost choked, but if there are poeple who think it's normal to pay $750 for a pair of jeans, or $1000 for a purse, that wouldn't seem crazy to them. Send them my way, ha ha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%