Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free Diets

Lounge By MichelleM77 Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 8:07pm by luvsfreebies72

MichelleM77 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:57am
post #1 of 8

I've posted before that I thought I had some weird allergy or intolerance. Last week I dragged myself to the ER thinking something was seriously wrong because I was so sick. I've had enough. I'm going to try an elimination diet and get this thing figured out once and for all...hopefully! So I'm tackling a lactose-free, gluten-free, IBS-friendly diet and realizing this is not going to be an easy task. There is either casein or wheat in practically everything these days! Even my "dairy-free" coffee creamer has milk byproducts in it! Go figure.

Anyway, anyone else out there living on a similar diet due to true allergies or intolerances? I'm pretty sure I don't have an allergy due to the severity of my symptoms, just an intolerance it seems.

I'm mostly interested in wheat alternatives. I loved buckwheat as a child (my dad made great buckwheat pancakes) and have learned that the name is deceiving and is not wheat at all, so it's a safe wheat alternative. Has anyone successfuly used buckwheat in baking, mainly breads and doughs? Can you suggest a good gluten-free pasta? I don't think I can live without pasta! icon_smile.gif I severely cut down my lactose today and was better; not great, but better. I have soy milk in the fridge and I'm looking forward to that in my coffee tomorrow...kinda.

I believe a trip to The Mustard Seed (a local store similar to Whole Foods I think) is in order. This is going to be an expensive lifestyle change, but well worth it if I can finally feel well again! I've been like this for about 10 years and I've had enough. Any help/suggestions/recipes appreciated!

7 replies
GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 8

I wish I had some suggestions, but I can completely sympathize with your struggle to find gluten-free and lactose-free foods. My little girl has been ill, and her gastro told us to remove lactose and high fructose corn syrup from her diet for 2 weeks. I was absolutely amazed how difficult this was! These items are in everything we normally eat in our home. She's only 7, but was awesome at reading all the labels and letting me know if she could have it or not, lol.

I also have the feeling we will be shopping for her at the Whole Foods Market in the future. Her father and grandfather both have Crohn's disease and they fortunately ruled that out when they did her upper GI, upper endoscopy, and colonoscopy last week. So far her biopsies have come up okay for certain bacteria and infection. We are just waiting for a specialty test for sugar malabsorbtion to come back. It's been really difficult to get a diagnosis.

In the long run, I am positive her diet will have to change. The doctor doesn't believe it's an allergy and she tested negative for celiac disease. I really hope you start to feel an improvement soon, as 10 years is a long time! Please follow up with your thread to let us know if your change in diet is a success. I am really curious!

Monkess Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 8

Wheat Free-Buckwheat is totally gluten free. Quinoa(Keen-wa) is a totally grain free seed as is Kasha-both can be found easily. Cooks up like rice, but much quicker.
Dairy-Soya milk is great, you also get dairy free butter in health stores.
I have used buckwheat in a rye bread and it worked well but a bit dense. We make tortillas out them all the time though, you just mix in some water and salt and make a dough.Be careful though since buckwheat dough is extremly soft-I just pat out a disc and then cook on a griddle, you can eat these with anything. I love them.
Bulk stores/health stores also carry Soba noodles which are made from buckwheat-personally I dont like the taste also I believe they do have some wheat in them. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!!!

bonniebakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 8

Michelle -

I am so sorry to hear about what you are going thorough. My husband and I both have had gastro. problems nearly all our lives. Mine is related to animal products, so I can't eat any meat product. We can't seem to figure out what his issue it is. We know he is lactose intolerant, and are suspecting something related to wheat also (he does not have celiac), but we haven't been able to figure it out yet.

He can't take too much soy (it gives him heart palpitations) - so I've started to use rice milk in all my baking. Works well and has the consistency of skim milk. I've also used it for my hot chocolate and it's good. I don't care for the flavor of soy milk and rice milk doesn't have as strong a flavor as soy.

Best of luck - and keep us posted. I'll share any recipes I come up with that are milk and wheat free...

MichelleM77 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you all for your suggestions! I went to the library last night and picked up books on celiac disease (even though I do not have it, though it would be a good place for info on cutting out gluten) and IBS cookbooks.

Soy milk in coffee...not so great, but now maybe I will cut down on my coffee too! I know that wasn't helping my stomach, but I just couldn't give it up. Maybe I will have to switch to tea.

And now I know how to pronouce quinoa! Glad I didn't walk into the health food store and ask for "kin-o-a." Ha ha!

I'm takling the dairy issues first and will see how that goes. If it helps significantly, then I might not even worry about trying gluten-free. It's probably not a good idea to cut all of these things out of my diet all at the same anyway.

On the other hand, I also picked up some huge cake recipe books and have found a few recipes that sound delish (for my customers that is).

So far, so good today, but I haven't had much to eat. I had cup of coffee with soy milk and healthy heart cereal with soy milk. I don't know what I am going to eat for lunch though! Thank goodness I'm a huge fan of pasta.

Oh goodness, lvnvcowgrl, I feel for your daughter. I didn't start having problems until I was an adult and I can't imagine what you are going through trying to find diet that works for your daughter! I'll let you know what I find good to eat and you do the same! Hopefully we will track down our problems and expand our food pantry at the same time! icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 8

My sister is on a dairy-free, soy free diet right now since she is nursing and my nephew is allergic to both dairy and soy. It is easier to cut out dairy if you can still tolerate soy. Soy is in just about everything. She is drinking rice milk as a subsititute.

She has had a lot of luck at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

We thought DS had some gluten, dairy issues at one time. They can do a blood test to determine this. But you have to get the blood drawn BEFORE you elimate the foods from your diet.

Also, have you tried the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World? Lots of good recipes in there.

dinas27 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 8

I have a co-worker that can't have dairy, wheat or eggs...

She sent me a link to this blog

And I like this one

I have posted a gluten free flour substitute in the recipes forum for your homemade baking.

Lots of places carry rice pasta - Safeway does here in Canada.

If you're not loving the rice milk - try almond milk in your coffee.

Hope this helps you

luvsfreebies72 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 8

I have Celiac and am also casein-intolerant. A book I always reccomend is The Gluten Connection. I forgot the author's name, but you can google it. It's fabulous! Goes into the science behind gluten. It's written by a nutritionist who observed patients getting better by going on a GF diet, who all suffered from various ailments

Quote by @%username% on %date%