Help With Indydebi's Buttercream, Please....

Decorating By brandywinecakes Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 1:25pm by Getus

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:26am
post #1 of 11

I made indydebi's recipe this past week for the first time and I must say I'm conflicted. I thought it was rather sweet for my taste, so I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1 tbsp each butter flavor and vanilla flavor. It tasted WONDERFUL!! It crusted better than any other BC I've used! It smoothed well! My problem is that it was gritty feeling in my mouth. I didn't feel as if it were a smooth and creamy icing like others have said. It was as if I could feel every granule of powdered sugar. I read many threads before I made it and saw that I needed to pulverize the fat...I did that. No, I didn't sift the ps, but I have a hard time imagining that sifting would take care of that completely. Am I wrong? I REALLY want to make this icing work for me because it does taste so good. Can anyone give me some tips that might take care of the grittiness? I plan to make it again this week and see if it turns out the same but welcome some advice before I do. Thank you! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:35am
post #2 of 11

Did you use popcorn salt? It is very fine. That might take the grittiness out.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:48am
post #3 of 11

did you keep mixing it longer? i read deb's comment in the recipe that she mixes her minutes longer, and the BC get better.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:49am
post #4 of 11

You need to mix it as long as it calls for. I noticed if I didn't mix it for very long, I had the gritty problem. I think it calls for 2 minutes on medium--can't remember but that works for me (maybe even over 2 minutes).

brandywinecakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:49am
post #5 of 11

No, it was just regular salt. I really feel like the powdered sugar is what I was feeling, though. I did see a thread on popcorn salt though and wanted to try it. Thanks for reminding me of that. I'll use it next time and see if it makes a difference.

brandywinecakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:06am
post #6 of 11

It seems like I mixed it for a long time, but I will be sure to mix it longer next time. Is there such a thing as mixing it for too long?

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:37am
post #7 of 11

It gets fluffier with the whipped topping.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 11:41am
post #8 of 11

I get the same results all the time too. I just add more milk in the en, and then whip it until it gets smooth.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 11

I am hoping this can be solved, as well. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Indydebi's BC!
I have tried so many BC's and none have matched hers in taste and performance...however, I have problems with graininess...exactly like brandiwinecakes has described. I have tried mixing for what seems like forever...and this did not solve the problem for me. I do sift my PS. I use C&H.
I will say, I made this with hi ratio shortening a couple of times, and it didn't have the grittiness then. But, I will be honest, I cannot afford to use hi ratio all the time, as I am only a hobby baker (for family and friends only), and have to order it online and pay shipping....hence, making it just too cost prohibitive for everyday use.
I would love to find a solution to the grittiness issue...as this is definitley my FAV BC! icon_cry.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:56am
post #10 of 11

Getus, try adding more milk than usual (towards the end). Whenever I make this BC, it gets gritty once I mix it on medium speed for a long time. All I did is that I added more milk in the end and beat it again, then it turns smooth. It worked for me all the time. Give it a shot, it won't hurt =]

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 11

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%