Vodka Vs. Lemon Juice

Decorating By meihana Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 3:13am by icer101

meihana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meihana Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:44am
post #1 of 8

I need to spray lustre dust on the wedding cake I'm doing this week. My question is, (I've never used the airbrush for this before) should I mix the lustre with vodka (this is what I normally do when using it to paint by hand) or lemon juice? I've heard some of the masters (i.e. Colette Peters) use lemon juice.

Anyone know the difference? Had experience? Tips? Warnings? icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

7 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:52am
post #2 of 8

I don't think people use lemon JUICE. They use lemon extract because it has alcohol in it and evaporates faster than water. That helps the fondant or gumpaste get less soggy from the liquid. Same reason people use vodka - for the fast evaporation of the liquid used to apply the luster dust.

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:56am
post #3 of 8

I've never sprayed luster dust onto a cake before, I usually use a paint brush for that. I always use the airbrush colors when I airbrush though. As far as lemon extract or vodka, I use them both. I've used vodka for dusts but I prefer lemon extract for dust and vodka for if I need to thin down gels a bit.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:58am
post #4 of 8

I haven't used the airbrush for the luster, but with painting, I have noticed no difference between vodka and lemon EXTRACT.

I buy the cheap vodka and it is alot less $$ than the extract, plus leaves no taste.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:00am
post #5 of 8

I have used the airbrush to do this. I mixed the luster dust with vodka, put in a bottle ans shook bottle very well everytime I started to add more to the airbrush. However, I found Ck country kitchens sell airbrush luster in gold silver or pearl and they work very well. Hope this helps

nancy g

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:03am
post #6 of 8

AS was said not JUICE but lemon EXTRACT; but even then, you have to look at what the alcohol content is - what %. Ms.Peters was very surprised to find that it varies from brand to brand. That's why it probably is best to use vodka.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:10am
post #7 of 8

Plus, you can reward yourself with a little snort of the vodka when you're done, which you just can't do with lemon extract. : )

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:13am
post #8 of 8

whenever , i have used dusts with my airbrush.. i mix it with everclear... shake it really good... after spraying.. i clean it really good.. in several different bowls of clean water.. dry it good.. before i put it up.. never had any trouble. now they make luster airbrush colors and also in spray cans by lucks and pme.. i have the americolor airbrush sheen colors also. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%