Did You Really Just Say That?...

Decorating By Tita9499 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 12:13pm by sweetjan

Tita9499 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:04am
post #1 of 37

icon_confused.gif How come people never stop to think about what they're going to say before they say it? I mean seriously!

I'm doing a favor for a friend of a friend. This friend wants a cake for her DD's birthday and it's a big ta-da type of affair. So I had the lady over and I'm getting all her info to find out what type of cake she's aiming at getting.

She wants a 4 tiered (stacked) cake with individual rounds surrounding the cake. Okay...I give her the spiel and tell her that I'll give her a detailed instruction sheet on how to cut the cake and she can give it to the catering manager at the venue the day of. Guess what she said!...

"Oh, well, you and your husband are invited so you can cut it"

WHAT!?!?

Yo! She was so serious that she didn't even bat an eye! I let out this loud, boisterous laugh and told her that unless she was willing to pay the same amount that the servers there were going to be getting paid, she didn't need to hold her breath waiting for me to cut anything. Like I'd really go to a party of some kid that I don't know and get all dressed up just to cut a cake?

She seriously needs to let me know what she's been smoking...

36 replies
mixinvixen Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:16am
post #2 of 37

this sounds like something i've done before,speaking without thinking.

maybe she said it this way:

"Oh, well, you and your husband are invited, so you can cut it"

see...the comma really makes a difference! why would she invite your husband if you're just there to cut the cake...really sounds to me like it was spoken with a comma...or at least i hope so! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 37

I am rolling on the floor at your response! That is hysterical!!! I luv it!!! Especially luv it when the hoity-toities of the world are taken down a notch by "the hired help" ... which is all she viewed you as, ya know!

Go Tita! Go Tita! Go Tita!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

But yeah, sometimes things are said innocently without thinking about how it sounds.

When I was getting divorced and was finally brave enough to tell people about the violence I had been living in, it was amazing to me how many people said, "Billy-Bob (not his real name)? Really? That's hard to believe!" I finally got brave enough to say to a couple of them, "I'm sorry .... did you just call me a liar?" icon_biggrin.gif

Tita9499 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:52am
post #4 of 37

I would so love to believe that was the context in which it was said, HOWEVER!! I seriously have never met this woman before in my life, so I have no idea why else she would invite me...and come to think about it she didn't invite my DH, what she said was:

"Oh you're invited so you can cut the cake" (I assumed that you're was all of us, but...nope, not so sure).

Right before I told her about paying my wages, she turned to my friend (who was actually over for dinner) and said, "Shoot, I don't want those people cutting the cake..."

I'm all for "the benefit of the doubt", but seriously! icon_confused.gif This chick is looking for some slave labor and I ain't the one.

Debi, I know exactly what you mean! My father was extremely abusive and when I got engaged I started telling my DH the horror stories of my childhood. He looked at me and said, "Your father...naw!" I'm sitting there like he slapped me and said, "Yeah, I just love lying about how much I was abused as a kid...brings back awesome memories!" icon_rolleyes.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:54am
post #5 of 37

Wait a minute....maybe she thought she was being really gracious, like you'd be honored to cut the cake, the cake that everyone will be raving about, like "I'll let you do it, you're the master of this creation, I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it, kind of thing??" Maybe? Or not...some people....lol!

indydebi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:56am
post #6 of 37

how old is the birthday girl?

Carolynlovescake Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:58am
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

When I was getting divorced and was finally brave enough to tell people about the violence I had been living in, it was amazing to me how many people said, "Billy-Bob (not his real name)? Really? That's hard to believe!" I finally got brave enough to say to a couple of them, "I'm sorry .... did you just call me a liar?" icon_biggrin.gif

Same boat!

My favorite was "well we never saw a mark on you". It was at this comment I'd raise my shirt above my pants line and show them bruises and fresh scars. Nothing was more pleasing then watching the pale and then get the white eye look and saying "yeah he was the hit where it doesn't show kind."

In the baking industry my son has been invited to more parties over the years than he realizes. I can't tell you how many of my acquaintances suddenly become chummy two weeks before asking for a cake for their kids party. When I ask them what their budget is for a cake I get "oh I figured I could invite you and your son to attend and have it be your gift." I've had everything from a 10 inch cake to a full sheet, to a stacked/tiered design. My reply "our children don't know each other and honestly I'd rather you pay me so I can stop for some groceries for dinner on the way home."

Tita9499 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:01am
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Wait a minute....maybe she thought she was being really gracious, like you'd be honored to cut the cake, the cake that everyone will be raving about, like "I'll let you do it, you're the master of this creation, I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it, kind of thing??" Maybe? Or not...some people....lol!

Yeaaaaaaaaah!! NO.

I am so not the one, I told ya'll that. I cringe whenever someone makes a scene about a cake I did in my presence. I really don't like to be put on the spot because it makes me feel all funky. So I set up the cake, grab a picture for posterity's sake and I'm out (you know...like Seacrest).

Seriously, what would I do at a stranger's party? I don't drink so I couldn't get bent and laugh at people, so there's really no reason for me to be there BUT to cut the cake.

Like Debi said, I'm jus' a lil' 'ol gal who'sa really good at bakin' me a cake...ain't happenin'. But I do love the way you all are trying to look at this with rose-colored glasses. Very honorable of you all...

SugarChic24 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:16am
post #9 of 37

I recently made a wedding cake for a coworker, I was invited and attended and half way through the reception he comes to me to thank me and tell me that its the most beautiful cake hes ever seen ( very nice) then... nievely asked if i cut if or do they (the caterers), I laughed and said, honey, you don't want me to butcher your cake trust me... I make them i dont cut them. Obviously he didn't mean that in the same context as your lady, he really was clueless but it was still one of those funny take you back moments.

isabow2 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:19am
post #10 of 37

Ooo, I got one. Not cake related, but still good. When I told my insurance agent that I was getting divorced & would need to separate out our policies, she says "That's too bad, you were such nice people." I replied, "We still are." You should have seen the look on her face! icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #11 of 37

Oh...I misread you, I though it was for a friend....not a friend of a friend.

Tita9499 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:48am
post #12 of 37
Quote:

how old is the birthday girl?

I totally missed this question, my apologies Debi. The b-day girl is turning 15, it's for a quinceñera.

peg818 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:53am
post #13 of 37

Oh please, people are clueless. and yes she was just looking for a free cutting, I'm surprised she wasn't looking for a inexpensive cake too.

Now for my story, i volunteered to do my nephews wedding cake, No problem would volunteer for any of them. Well comes time to cut the cake and my SIL who i usually get along well with, comes over to me and says can you help with the cake, these ladies don't know how to take it apart. (it was a simple 3 tier cake) so of course all dressed up, after a few drinks i go take the cake apart, I think i gave them instructions on how to cut.

Then a couple of hours later my SIL calls the hotel to ask me where to top layer of the cake is. It was a free cake, i told the staff to cut it if needed, and here my nephew was complaining cause they didn't get the top. Needless to say, i had had a bit to drink and it still pissed me off that they were snotty about it.

majka_ze Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:21am
post #14 of 37

I give the lady the benefit of doubt: Does she get that cutting cake is work, not piece of cake (pun intended)?

Some people are really clueless. Some are simply bold enough to try...

jouj Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:57am
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

In the baking industry my son has been invited to more parties over the years than he realizes. I can't tell you how many of my acquaintances suddenly become chummy two weeks before asking for a cake for their kids party. When I ask them what their budget is for a cake I get "oh I figured I could invite you and your son to attend and have it be your gift." I've had everything from a 10 inch cake to a full sheet, to a stacked/tiered design. My reply "our children don't know each other and honestly I'd rather you pay me so I can stop for some groceries for dinner on the way home."

I just loved your answer! I wish I had the guts to answer like that. Ohhhh don't remind me, I also have a zillion acquaintances who suddenly "remember" me a month before their kids birthday, not to mention those who invite me for dinner, and either expect me to bring a cake, or just order one, knowing that I wouldn't charge them.
At first, I used to make a free cake for them, then I stopped that. Now, I buy other sweets or something for the house, when I'm invited to dinner or lunch, except to some friends. who I know, really appreciate my work, and deserve it. Those are only 2 or 3 friends.
Last year, One of the "friends" ordered cupcakes for her son's birthday, to take to the pre school, I decided to get paid, because the year before, I made the boy's cake for free. When her husband came to pick up the cupcakes, my helper opened the door for him, he was "surprised" to see the invoice, what he did was soooooooooo impolite, he just threw the money on the table, and took his cupcakes and left, he didn't even wait for me to come.
You'll see a lot of those in your life.

grama_j Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:21am
post #16 of 37

"One of the "friends" ordered cupcakes for her son's birthday, to take to the pre school, I decided to get paid, because the year before, I made the boy's cake for free."
Didn't you tell them when they ordered that there would be a charge ? He certainly was rude, but if you didn't tell them things would be different from the year before, I could understand his "surprise".........

Tinabug1979 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:22am
post #17 of 37

U go Tita!!

and Isabow2, That is too funny!

Just in general, I've learned if you do a nice, thing for someone, family or not, They seem to expect a favor around every corner.

indydebi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:30am
post #18 of 37

Re: the age .... I was just curioius on how much of a prima donna we were dealing with. A quince is a big-deal event, so it makes sense to go a little "overboard" with this size of a cake.

I was thinking if it was for a 10 year old or something, then she was just a snooty as I was imagining! icon_biggrin.gif

jouj Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:45am
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

"One of the "friends" ordered cupcakes for her son's birthday, to take to the pre school, I decided to get paid, because the year before, I made the boy's cake for free."
Didn't you tell them when they ordered that there would be a charge ? He certainly was rude, but if you didn't tell them things would be different from the year before, I could understand his "surprise".........

They knew they were going to pay,and I made a 15% discount. The year before, when they ordered their son's cake, they said they were ordering "to encourage me". They said they wanted to pay, but as I was a bit new in cake decorating, I told them that since this was the first time they order from me, this would be a gift, and that next time they would pay.

grama_j Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:51am
post #20 of 37

Okay.... here is a slap in the face....... I've made cakes for this lady for the past couple of years.... AND she has sent me a TON of business... her daughter is in the Marines, and was coming home to be married. Since Mom works full time and is raising a Granddaughter, she asks her other daughter to help with the wedding...... Mom has already told me I have the job, and that she is paying for it, and how many guests it needs to serve, etc...... well, the bride arrives home from Iraq, and she and "sister" comes to meet me.....and decide on flavors, design,etc...... I give her a FREE 10"cake to thank her for her service.... she is a real sweetheart..... 'SISTER" on the other hand, is becoming the BRIDEZILLA..... she is telling the bride which cake she wants, etc........ I'm trying to hide my dislike for her, and directing my questions and remarks to the Bride......... Well, Mom calls the next day and asks me if I will deliver the cake to the venue, and stay and cut and serve it. The venue is about 2 hours away..... and she says " Of course, bring your husband to the wedding and reception, and I will pay for you to stay over night with the rest of the out of town guests". I tell my husband about it, and he says he wouldn't be comfortable being somewhere that he didn't know another soul, and that he would drive me, and help with the cake, etc. but that he wanted to come home after the setup. I tell the bride's sister ( who by now has COMPLETELY taken over) that I will deliver and set up, but she would need to have the caterer cut the cake....... She gets all huffy, and cancels the order, and says "we won't be needing your services any longer".... I talked to Mom and she said she understood, but has not ordered a cake since.... that was over a year ago..... icon_surprised.gif go figure !!

grama_j Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:53am
post #21 of 37

" They knew they were going to pay,and I made a 15% discount. The year before, when they ordered their son's cake, they said they were ordering "to encourage me". They said they wanted to pay, but as I was a bit new in cake decorating, I told them that since this was the first time they order from me, this would be a gift, and that next time they would pay."

In that case, he is not only RUDE, he is an ASS !

Tita9499 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #22 of 37
Quote:

Re: the age .... I was just curioius on how much of a prima donna we were dealing with. A quince is a big-deal event, so it makes sense to go a little "overboard" with this size of a cake.

icon_biggrin.gif

Tell me about it Debi! I didn't even get a quince because my parents didn't want to mislead me into thinking I was going to become a spoiled brat and boss them around. This little girl has changed the design of the cake 4 or 5 times and finally I had to tell her mom if she didn't make a decision her parents were going to be paying extra for rush delivery. Funny enough, she miraculously settled on a design (the tiers are covered in dragees- yay me! My carpal is going to go nuts!).

She did want an inexpensive cake, but you can't get much more inexpensive than only paying for ingredients and supplies, so I have no idea what the issue is. But to add to that having me stay and cut the cake? That's ungrateful and getting waaaay out of line. I'm nobody's fool, we're going to be changing duty stations in a year so I don't need to build up my clientele in El Paso, I just want to be able to get as much practice in as possible and build up my portfolio.

cgcreation Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:56am
post #23 of 37

OMG! So very rude!

So this thread got me thinking. I'm new at this and sometimes offer free cakes to friends simply to get to make the cake. I was thinking about it though, and everytime I was at a party with my cake I was asked to cut it. My brother's wedding, my friends birthday, relative's birthday. Never really thought about it before.

Okay, here's the funny part. I was at a friends wedding not too long ago and the bride asked me to cut the cake!! I didn't make it, I didn't help choose it, in fact, I hardly new her. (friend of the groom). I guess because we can make 'em means we can cut 'em!

Tita9499 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #24 of 37

I would've gone at that thing like I was fighting off a swarm of African Killer Bees, walked back to her covered in crumbs, fondant and icing and handed her the knife..."Nope, still no good at that part"

CakeMakar Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:11am
post #25 of 37

For parties where I know the people I made the cake for I play the "I can't possibly cut into my masterpiece I slaved on for days" card.
Though I did tell one friend half the fun of giving gift cakes was watching them try to cut it. icon_biggrin.gif

It is SO weird when someone you don't really know says "Oh you can stay and your husband!" I usually say the kid is at home with a sitter.

Tita9499 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:17am
post #26 of 37

Has anyone ever answered with an off-the-wall, totally irrelevant comment? I once told someone who asked me to stay and help cut AND serve the cake she ordered from me, "Oh, no, I can't do that...it's against my religion"...she looked so confused and said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know. Okay." I couldn't stop laughing and then I told her I was kidding, but no, I still wouldn't cut it.

I should try this on this woman, but she's of the same faith as me so it probably won't land...

indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:22am
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Has anyone ever answered with an off-the-wall, totally irrelevant comment?

when I recognize the list of "10 questions to ask your caterer" that they start asking. most of the time, they've no idea what they're asking and why they're asking it. So I go behind the bush and around the outhouse with an answer just to see if they can figure out that I've not even come close to answering their question. So far, no one's caught me at it. icon_biggrin.gif

jouj Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:50pm
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

Okay.... here is a slap in the face....... I've made cakes for this lady for the past couple of years.... AND she has sent me a TON of business... her daughter is in the Marines, and was coming home to be married. Since Mom works full time and is raising a Granddaughter, she asks her other daughter to help with the wedding...... Mom has already told me I have the job, and that she is paying for it, and how many guests it needs to serve, etc...... well, the bride arrives home from Iraq, and she and "sister" comes to meet me.....and decide on flavors, design,etc...... I give her a FREE 10"cake to thank her for her service.... she is a real sweetheart..... 'SISTER" on the other hand, is becoming the BRIDEZILLA..... she is telling the bride which cake she wants, etc........ I'm trying to hide my dislike for her, and directing my questions and remarks to the Bride......... Well, Mom calls the next day and asks me if I will deliver the cake to the venue, and stay and cut and serve it. The venue is about 2 hours away..... and she says " Of course, bring your husband to the wedding and reception, and I will pay for you to stay over night with the rest of the out of town guests". I tell my husband about it, and he says he wouldn't be comfortable being somewhere that he didn't know another soul, and that he would drive me, and help with the cake, etc. but that he wanted to come home after the setup. I tell the bride's sister ( who by now has COMPLETELY taken over) that I will deliver and set up, but she would need to have the caterer cut the cake....... She gets all huffy, and cancels the order, and says "we won't be needing your services any longer".... I talked to Mom and she said she understood, but has not ordered a cake since.... that was over a year ago..... icon_surprised.gif go figure !!

Oh my GOD, this is really a slap in the face!! Your customer was as much of an ass as my friends!!!!

stephaniescakenj Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:48pm
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

I would've gone at that thing like I was fighting off a swarm of African Killer Bees, walked back to her covered in crumbs, fondant and icing and handed her the knife..."Nope, still no good at that part"

OMG! I am laughing so hard at this! I have tears in my eyes. That is hysterical! I've read this whole thread and all I keep thinking is, well they only asked if she would cut the cake? Not that I think you should, but I've read other threads on here will people will call up a baker that is a perfect stranger and ask them to sponser the girl, which is essentially asking them to donate the cake to her party. I forget what they call the people that donate money to pay for the party. they have a name but I'm still laughing so hard about the african killer bees that I can't think straight!

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:06pm
post #30 of 37

hahahahh...african bees ....hahahahah *snort*.....still no good hahahahah....*gasping for air* THAT'S AWESOME!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%