Question About Fondant/gumpaste...

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 1:45pm by Rhonda19

Rhonda19 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:08am
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone!

I want to run something past all of you. Would you ever put just regular chalk from a store...such as WalMart, Dollar Store, on your gumpaste or fondant roses, flowers, cake toppers???

I have always used luster dust, petal dust, or something like that. I , myself, would be scared that if I used just regular non-toxic chalk on a cake that a child or someone else might try and eat it, and then get sick.

What are your views??

Thanks

2 replies
weirkd Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:17am
post #2 of 3

Ive seen in books, Wilton for one, that they suggest using chaulk for coloring. I personally would be scared to do that, especially if its not specifically saying its food grade. Like silicone. Its non-toxic but I dont think you want to consume a bunch of it! I would stick to your petal dusts to be on the safe side!

Rhonda19 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Ive seen in books, Wilton for one, that they suggest using chaulk for coloring. I personally would be scared to do that, especially if its not specifically saying its food grade. Like silicone. Its non-toxic but I dont think you want to consume a bunch of it! I would stick to your petal dusts to be on the safe side!

That's what I was thinking!!! Someone showed me how to make their fondant flowers, and used chalk to color the fondant. I would be scared to use chalk unless it was strictly for decorative purposes, and then I would be scared some child might try and eat it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%