Rolling Out Satin Ice

Decorating By stacylambert Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm by Lee15

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:58am
post #1 of 19

I know it says shortening, sugar, or constarch, but I was wondering what you've found to be the best way to roll out Satin Ice? This will be my first time using it and I paid a pretty hefty price for it at the cake shop (I needed it quickly...). I certainly don't want to waste any icon_eek.gif

18 replies
arsing1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arsing1 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:07am
post #2 of 19

Sorry, I don't have any info for you. I just ordered some Satin Ice from GSA so I'm interested in this answer too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:08am
post #3 of 19

I'm a fondant newbie and I use cornstarch. I like it better than p.sugar. Havent' tried the crisco yet, but plan to give it a try.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:13am
post #4 of 19

Crisco is the way to go! No stray powdered sugar to deal with, it doesn't dry out quickly like it does with ps. I've found that my hands don't get as stained with food coloring when using crisco!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:22am
post #5 of 19

crisco works well if you're in a dry climate. If it's humid, cornstarch is the way to go. I don't like powdered sugar at all.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #6 of 19

With Satin Ice, I don't use anything but a light (very, very light) smear of Crisco on my surface. Satin is is SO soft you don't need to add anything to it. I also roll it about 1/4 inch thick to make it easier to use since it is so soft. ALSO, the darker colors are very, very soft so don't be suprised if you have never used it before and you find the red, blue etc are so soft. Just don't use tons of crisco and don't roll it too thin (if you are coveing a cake). It really is a god send for me...

SugarChic24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarChic24 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:03am
post #7 of 19

I've only ever rolled out on PS but I have to say that it may not be the way to go... It works but it leaves alot of excess sugar on the surface that makes the cake feel grainy to the touch, even though it is smooth. It also leaves the cake dull. I've been searching the forums and was planning to practice "buffing" the cake with a light coat of crisco after but now I might just bite the bullet and try rolling it out on crisco. I've always just been scared of ruining it also. Satin ice is expensive but for me its so worth it! I've tried making my own fondant before, and pretty much just made a mess and it wasn't as easy to work with, (FYI: this wasn't the MMF recipe, I haven't tried that yet). I do agree with the above poster though that the red is very very soft.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:16am
post #8 of 19

Please take a practice piece of your SI and play with it before absolutely having to use it quickly on an important cake--you won't regret getting to know the product first!

I love SI--colors & white, but they do take some getting used to. If I find that the batch I have is pretty soft, I mix it 1/3 Wilton fondant with 2/3 SI. You get the great SI texture and flavor, but it becomes much more user friendly.

I roll it on a smear of crisco on a vinyl or silicone mat, lifting & turning it about 90 degrees every 3 or 4 "rolls". I never turn it over. It works beautifully. You pick up the piece by draping it over your rolling pin.

HTH
Rae

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:31am
post #9 of 19

I agree with Stephanie, though Rae (BlakesCakes) makes a good point: practice with a small piece and figure out which works the best for you and which way your preference leans.

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:33am
post #10 of 19

I used Satin Ice today and rolled it out on a very thin smear of Crisco on my counter top and it worked wonderfully! I've used powdered sugar before and found it difficult. I also rubbed a little Crisco on my rolling pin and that kept the fondant from sticking to the pin. HTH!

SugarChic24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarChic24 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:34am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Please take a practice piece of your SI and play with it before absolutely having to use it quickly on an important cake--you won't regret getting to know the product first!

I love SI--colors & white, but they do take some getting used to. If I find that the batch I have is pretty soft, I mix it 1/3 Wilton fondant with 2/3 SI. You get the great SI texture and flavor, but it becomes much more user friendly.

I roll it on a smear of crisco on a vinyl or silicone mat, lifting & turning it about 90 degrees every 3 or 4 "rolls". I never turn it over. It works beautifully. You pick up the piece by draping it over your rolling pin.

HTH
Rae

I couldn' agree more! thats why I've always rolled on PS, not the best but I know it works. I'm trying it on crisco this week bc I have some downtime to practice.
I've only ever bought the colored in red and black, they're very hard to make in other mediums and just thought its less stressfull to have the true color on hand instead of trying to recreate thumbs_up.gif from base. I keep the white and chocolate on hand via the 20 lb. buckets and I was pleasntly suprised at how good they keep! Again great investment for me I love it! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:40am
post #12 of 19

I got a great tip from a CC'er. Roll it out on freezer paper. I don't use anything and it works GREAT!! You can cut the SI with a sharp knife and take the paper with if you want to eliminate some of the stretching when you pick it up. HTH icon_wink.gif

Flowernail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flowernail Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:52am
post #13 of 19

I love crisco for covering bigger sizes or shapes because it keeps the fondant moist to give you more time to work the fondant before it dries and skins. You do want to start with a small amount and add as you see you may need but better to start lesser than too much! Too much can make it too soft and it will stretch too much and tear. so do be careful. I also find it is more moist and clings better to the icing on the cake. you can use a duster to dust the surface with cornstarch while smoothing if neccessary.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:54am
post #14 of 19

I've never heard the freezer paper one before. I'm going to have to try that. For those of you who roll out on crisco, I was wondering do you use anything on the fondant as you smooth it on the cake?

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:56am
post #15 of 19

I think flowernail just answered my question while I was typing it. Thanks

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:08am
post #16 of 19

Thanks everyone!

I ended up using crisco. I think I rolled it too thin. It has some tiny cracks/tears on the edges, but overall it looks good.

I think with our weather here the cornstarch would have worked as well. I'll try that next time. I've been using homemade fondant (started using MMF, then Toba Garrett's recipe), but I think from now on I'm just going to get Satin Ice. I'm so tired of making batches and having them come out so inconsistent.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:12am
post #17 of 19

I don't use either one....I roll out between two sheets of clear plasitc that you get at Wally World. once you get it rolled out to size take the top piece off and flip the bottom sheet over your cake then start peeling the fondant away from the plastic...once you get to a certain point it will peel away by itself onto your cake...then just start smoothing down.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:16am
post #18 of 19

sugarshack uses lots of cornstarch to roll hers out...if you can swing it get her video....it's well worth the cost.....once the fondant is rolled out she puts it on the cake, smooths it down and dusts off the excess cornstarch with a large brush then gives the fondant a good coat of shortening to get rid of the chalkiness and then wipes off the excess for a nice satiny finish....her cakes are gorgeous....

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm
post #19 of 19

I love Satin Ice. I usually just roll it out on a silicone mat and it does not need Crisco or PS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%