Who Are The George Baileys In Your Life?

Lounge By indydebi Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 12:07am by Deb_

indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 13

In the movie "It's a Wonderful Life", George Bailey thought his life was worthless .... until Angel Clarence showed him all the people he had impacted and how he had made a difference in their life.

Who are the George Baileys in your life? Who made a difference in how you grew up and some of the decisions you made?

1. My Aunt Helen, who made the best green beans with bacon and onion EVER (and I use that recipe in almost every catering I do). But what she said to me, when I was about 12 years old, remains with me to this day. We were poorer than dirt and Aunt Helen had less than us. She brought us half of a bag of potatoes one day so we'd have some food to feed the six kids in our house. She said (and this still makes me cry): "I don't have much but I'll share what I've got." I hope I've given her so much honor by living this philosophy and sharing what I can with others.

2. A supervisor, Donna Sue, who taught me the little etiquette things in the business world .... like don't start eating lunch until everyone is served; giving small thank you gifts for small favors that mean a lot (like a last minute day off when it's a very busy time .... that was REALLY nice when she did that for me!); listening......just listening to the people who work under you and showing that you really care about them. Thanks, Donna!

3. My Aunt Dorothy .... who showed me that the way I was being raised didn't have to be the way I ended up living. She showed me that I could do anything and aspire to anything, just by her attention to the care of everything around her ... from the way she planted her flowers to how she painted her yard chairs. Detail. The care of the details.

4. Mary Helen .... a lady who taught me all about accounts payable and receivable. She trained me by always asking: "If I wasn't here, what would you do", and then either praising my correct decision or if it was wrong, she'd tell me, "Well, that wouldnt' be totally wrong, but here's how I would handle it." I carried that forward into my management career by giving MY dept the freedom to make mistakes and learn from them without fear of reprimand.

Hmmmm.... interesting that I've just noticed how the George Baileys of my life are all women who I admire!! thumbs_up.gif

Who are the George Baileys of your life? (And have you told them what a difference they make in your world? Don't let THAT moment get by you!)

12 replies
-Tubbs Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 13

I'm not sure who mine would be... That takes a little bit of thought.
I just wanted to ask whether you've told these people how important they were to you, or if it's just something you know deep inside? You expressed your feelings so beautifully...

indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 13

Actually, I have let them know. One of my favorite quotes is:

"Regret for the things we have done can be tempered by time.
It is regret for the things we have NOT done that is inconsolable."

Since I don't want to spend any time regretting one minute of my life, of things done or especially NOT done, I try to apply this to everything I do.

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 13

I haven't watched the movie so I don't know who George Bailey is! Is it one of those movies that you just have to see in your lifetime?

indydebi- your post brought tears to my eyes!

I have no idea who I would list here. I know I don't spend enough time with my extended family. My uncle had open heart surgery and I never went to see him (he didn't want anyone to see him, but that's besides the point!). I am in Ohio and most of family is in PA, and that has been my excuse. Um, that's the state next door, not like I have to fly to California! What the heck is my excuse for not taking a day trip to visit my family?!?! I gotta get my priorities in order. I'm embarrassed that it would take me days to list my George Baileys.

indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 13

Oh michelle! icon_surprised.gif How can you not have seen this movie? It's become THE christmas movie every single year.

Trivia: Hubby tells me this movie originally was a box office flop (it's a black and white movie), but when video came into existence, it surged as one of the greats. I saw it for the first time when I was about 28 and cried at the end. Soon after that, it was played SO much on every TV station at christmas time that somewhere along the line, there was some agreement reached that said "ok....we'll only show it ONE time during the season!"

You gotta get this movie!

And if you're also one of those people who've never seen Gone With the Wind .... I just don't know what I'll do wiht you! icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 13

Nope, never saw that one either! I know, I should be so ashamed! I'm blaming it on my generation. icon_smile.gif I honestly have never seen the entire showing of The Sound of Music either. I think I might have seen The Christmas Story from beginning to end. Being from the Cleveland area, it's against the law not to have seen it! Ha! Why all the parts of movies? Cuz I always fell asleep before they were over! Put me in a car or put me in front of a movie...I sleep like a baby!

indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 13

Oh,now "A Christmas Story" is our family movie! We call it "The Ralphie Movie"! I even managed to get my hubby a leg lamp for Christmas this past year! icon_lol.gif When TBS runs this movie for 24 hours ... we watch it for 24 hours!

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 13

Oh gosh, there goes my good Cleveland standing. It is A Christmas Story! I promise, next Christmas we will have movie watching family nights and watch the classics! The boys are gonna love this. Ha ha!

jammjenks Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Who are the George Baileys in your life? Who made a difference in how you grew up and some of the decisions you made?

Debi-
I read the OP just after you posted it and have tried to come up with some people ever since. I've come up with two.

1. My mom. My younger sis and I grew up in a single-parent home. Mama was the one who worked two jobs sometimes to provide for us because she got NO child support. We never knew it then, but she talked to us about those things when we reached adulthood. She didn't always go to church (does now, but didn't then), but she made sure we had a way if we wanted to go...and we ALWAYS wanted to go. We loved being in the youth group at church and she was so glad we did. She taught me to be modest and have manners, to be conservative with my money, to respect myself and others.

She taught me about boys. My favorite things that I remember her telling me were, "April, you don't want no lazy man." and, "Don't date someone you wouldn't marry, and don't marry someone who wouldn't be a good father." I plan to relay that info to both my daughters one day.

When I look back at Christmas morning pictures from my childhood, I see gleefully happy children who got what they asked even when it meant sacrifice for her. Just in recent years she has told me that one year I asked for a jam box (tape player radio for those not familiar with the 80s). She didn't have the $ so she pawned her wedding band to buy me one. That is the kind of stuff you never get over. I just love her and hope one day to BE the kind of mother that I have.

2.My Mamaw. I just love that woman. She is younger than most grandmothers of my peers. She was married at 16 and they just had their 50th anniversary last year. She is an amazing woman who is the strength of our whole family. It's nothing to see her up at 5:00am to fix breakfast for her grandson getting home from working 3rd shift. She seemingly runs a taxi service for our whole family. She has always worked and is her own woman. My Papaw is a pain in the butt, but SHE wears the pants. I just love that about her...that she has her own mind and is happy to use and speak it. ...and don't you dare mess with her grandbabies!

maryjsgirl Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Oh,now "A Christmas Story" is our family movie! We call it "The Ralphie Movie"! I even managed to get my hubby a leg lamp for Christmas this past year! icon_lol.gif When TBS runs this movie for 24 hours ... we watch it for 24 hours!

Ok you redeemed yourself.

*puts Debi back on my pedestal*

icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

BTW I have been collecting the Christmas village, action figures, and other random memorabilia from the movie. Best movie ever!

Deb_ Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 13

I'm still in shock that there is someone out there that has never watched all of The Sound of Music and Gone With the Wind icon_eek.gif 2 of my all time favorites..........the latter usually comes on TV around Easter time so try to catch it.

My Dad would have to be the George Bailey in my life. Being the youngest of 8 children you would have thought that he'd be pretty bored with kids by the time I came around, but he wasn't.

He instilled such good values in all of us kids and the most important thing he taught me was to see strangers first with our hearts and then with our eyes. Never to think that we're any better or worse off then anyone, we're all important. Also, he taught me to give back more then I receive in all aspects of my life, but more importantly he taught me to cherish my family, my entire family not just my husband and children. Family was the most important thing in the world to my Dad (and Mom).

When he died, we had 4 hrs of calling hours at the funeral home. So many people came that it went 2 hrs past the allotted time. Every person that came through the receiving line to give us their condolences had a story to tell about my Dad and how he impacted their life in some way.

He never had a lot of money, but if he had $1 in his pocket he would have given it to you. He made everyone feel like a part of our family, as kids all of our friends just loved him.

I miss him so much, he was the best person I've ever met, and I'm so fortunate that he was my Dad.

indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 11:53pm
post #12 of 13

dkelly, he sounds like a true modern day George! What a great story!

Deb_ Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:07am
post #13 of 13

Thanks debi.......he really was such a kind hearted soul. I got so caught up in my post that I forgot to comment on yours.

Thanks for starting this thread, the women "George Baileys" in your life sound like true gems, they all must be very proud of you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%