Royal Icing And Real Egg Whites

Decorating By georgiapuddinpie Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 1:58am by Bunsen

georgiapuddinpie Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 4

I need Royal Icing for today. I do not have any powdered meringue and live about 45 min from anywhere that carries it. Is it safe to use real egg whites in it, and is there anything I need to do to the egg whites to make them safe?
Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Bunsen Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 4

Raw egg is not recommended for people with lower immunity - ie the sick, elderly or young children, but for everyone else poses little risk. I don't think there is anything you can do to make it completely safe as you would need to cook it to do that. Using good quality eggs will reduce the risk (free range not cheap cage eggs), keep the icing cool and eat as soon as possible (general good food handling procedures) will reduce the risk.

What are you making? Maybe we could recommend an alternative?

georgiapuddinpie Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the information. I wanted to get started on a tiara I need for Thursday, but I have decided I will just make a trip to town tomorrow. I am scared that I may make someone sick with raw eggs icon_sad.gif I would never want to do that. Thank you again for the help icon_biggrin.gif

Bunsen Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:58am
post #4 of 4

How funny, I'm working on a tiara at the moment too! I'm using gumpaste tho so I don't have to worry about royal icing (not really my friend, never quite works out for me!)

Better safe than sorry is my motto so you are doing the right thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%