Defrosted My Imbc, It Still Looks Yucky After Beating. Help!

Decorating By Phyllis52 Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 2:59pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Phyllis52 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 14

I made IMBC for the first time and loved it. I froze some of it and decided to defrost it today to frost cupcakes. Well, I rebeat it and rebeat it but it still was "drippy" on some parts. It also didn't get smooth.

What did I do wrong?

Thank goodness everyone at work will love them anyway, but they look pretty sad.

Any suggestions?

13 replies
stephaniescakenj Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 14

I've frozen IMBC before and it defrosted perfectly fine. are you sure it was completely defrosted before beating? I would also try letting the mixer run for awhile and see if that helps. Sometimes it needs to rewhip for quite some time

icer101 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 14

i too , have defrosted imbc... it did fine after i rebeat it.. hope your will come out right for you... i rebeat it on med. speed.. also i have defrosted smbc and rebeat it and it did fine..

mary-ann Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 14

Are you beating or whipping? I've thought that I'd lost a batch more than once but kept whipping it. It's like a magic trick when it firms up. Don't give up.

FromScratch Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:00am
post #5 of 14

Sounds like you needed to warm it up a bit more... I use my trusty torch to do the trick, but you can put it over boiling water for short bursts.

JodieF Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:00am
post #6 of 14

I've had mine look really gross, and it turned out I was rewhipping it on too high a setting. When I turned the mixer down and let it go, it smoothed out again.

Jodie

Bijoudelanuit Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #7 of 14

You can take 1/3 of the IMBC, melt it down (gently!) in a double boiler or carefully in the microwave... pour in into the remaining imbc as it is whipping and it will smooth everything out again. good luck!

Phyllis52 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 14

Boy do I feel dumb now. As I'm reading your replies, I realize since I was too lazy to drag out my KA, I tried to rewhip with my hand mixer. Was that the problem?

It was defrosted, but not room temp? Did I goof on that too? I'm confused if it should be too warm or too cool. It started to melt a little as I was mixing it.

One more - when I do use my KA for the rest I have frozen, do I use the paddle or whisk? How long does it take? I might now have done it long enough either.

I'm trying to decide if this frosting is worth all this! It does taste delicious though. Sorry for all these questions.

Once again, thank you all.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 14

it IS worth it! just let it go to room temp. I use a hand mixer too and i can rewhip it fine, i don't even have a paddle, but i think a paddle would be even better. it's not supposed to be too cold or too warm.

try it again and let us know. icon_biggrin.gif

Phyllis52 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 14

I am determined to get it right, it really is delicious. I'll let you know when I do the other half I have in the freezer.

I have to have more patience I guess...............

stephaniescakenj Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 14

I would use the KA from now on. It needs to rewhip for quite some time so you'll be standing there awhile with a handheld. It also should be room temp although the last time I defrosted it, I forgot to take it out the night before so I put it in the sink with warm water and it sort of melted the outside and the middle was still pretty cold. After it whipped up for awhile it was perfectly fine. I also use the whip attachment although I have switched over to the beater blade if it's too airy/bubbly. It's hard to pipe with too many air bubbles.

FromScratch Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:40pm
post #12 of 14

Definitely let it get to at least room temp. If you are too lazy (like I am icon_lol.gif) to wait that long... just place your mixer bowl over a pot of boiling water until it starts to melt down a bit and then pop it on the mixer and let it beat up. If it's still clumpy and gross looking pop it back over the boiling water for a minute and then try to whip it up again and repeat until it's smooth. Or invest (little money) in a culinary torch and you can warm the bowl as it whips up in the mixer... this is what I do. Just keep the flame moving around the bowl and in no time it'll be fine. icon_biggrin.gif

Phyllis52 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:46pm
post #13 of 14

I just printed out your suggestions in case I forget!

My problem was that I got worried that the outside seemed to be melting, but the inside was still cool, so I had no idea if it should be warmer or colder! I bet if I just kept going, it would have been fine, but next time I will take out the KA.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:59pm
post #14 of 14

Exactlty what Jkalman stated: room temperature at least, or preferably, higher. After I let mine come to room temp., I run hot water, from the tap, on the outside of the metal mixing bowl, making sure to turn the bowl around, and get the temp up before remixing it. Works well for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%