What Would Be The Best Way To...

Decorating By kbak37 Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 2:06pm by DianeLM

kbak37 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 10

do fondant inlay? I am doing a purse cake for a soon to be 12 year old. The design is zebra stripes with chartreuse accents. I would like to cut the zebra stripes out and replace with black or another color. Is it easier to do it after the fondant is rolled out but before it is placed on the cake, or should I do it after the fondant is on? I want it to look pretty seamless. Any suggestions?

I did a search, but for the last couple of weeks, nothing that I type in comes up with results in the forum section. TIA

Kim thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
janelwaters Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 10

I do not now the answer to this question, but I thought that I would give you a bump and hopefully someone else can help!!

Good luck! sounds like a great cake!

kakeladi Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 10

Now I have not actually done this but ....... I definitely do the work before the fondant is placed on the cake.

paulstonia Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 10

When I've moved fondant that already had cut outs in it they stretched a little. Wouldn't it be easier to paint them on?

doughdough Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 10

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. If it were me, I'd do it before, only I'd need to be careful not to let the fondant stretch out too much as I'm covering the cake.

Maybe do a couple practice runs and see which way is best for you.

tarheelgirl Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 10

I have a wedding cake with zebra stripes coming up. I think the best way is to cut the stripes out and let them rest on wax paper maybe for 10-15 minutes while cutting other stuff out. Then that way they are not too stiff but don't stretch that much.

icer101 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 10

i agree with paulstonia... but if you,re not going to paint them on.. then i definetly... put fonant on cake first ... then cut out and replace... i,ve never done zebra stripes.. but other inlays that way in the past..

xstitcher Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:54am
post #8 of 10

Here's a tutorial that might help you that is German but does have some English directions as well.

I had PM'ed TortenEleganz about a cake she did and she sent me this link. Hope it helps:

kr1970 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 10

not sure what colors you are doing but you might cover the cake with black fondant and then white. You could then cut out the white to reveal the black underneath. Do some "stiching" around each shape and wa la.

DianeLM Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 10

The thing that worries me about freehand inlays is getting the replacement shape to fit exactly. It's not like doing inlays with a cutter where you're positive it's going to fit.

I vote for painting on the stripes or rolling the stripes VERY thin with a pasta machine so they are nearly flush with the surface of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%