How Do I Make Candy Barrel Cake ?

Decorating By Irishbliss Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 9:11pm by l_m_mena

Irishbliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irishbliss Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 5

I googled this but nothing showed up, I noticed cakes in the gallery with kit kat bars around the side and sweeties on top....is there a proper name for this cake?

Just wondering if someone could tell me how they go about making it...what do you use to keep the bars attached?

thanks

4 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 5

A light coating of buttercream before the Kitkats are applied will make them stick. Sorry I cant help with the name of the cake.

amielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amielyn Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 5

I've just seen them called Candy Barrel cakes. I recently made two of them, and I just iced the cake in chocolate buttercream, then pressed the Kit-Kats into the icing. It's great, because you don't have to worry about smoothing your icing!

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 5

Here is how I made one:
Two 9" layers chocolate cake with bettercreme for filling in between. (I used bettercreme instead of buttercream, simply so it wouldn't be quite so sweet...with all the candy). But, you could certainly use buttercream if you choose. I then iced the cake with more bettercreme. It took 12 kit kat bars to go around my 9" layers. They adhere to the icing, but I did tie a ribbon around them, just for looks and to make sure that they stayed put while traveling. I scattered M&M's on the top. That's it. Very simple to make, but it was a huge hit for the fellow I made it for....as his fav candy bar is Kit Kat and he loves M&M's as well.
Whoever came up with this cake idea deserves a thumbs_up.gif !

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 5

I made one recently for my brother's birthday, which is close to Valentine's Day. Just like Getus says, I just filled and iced my cake with SMBC (any BC will do) and placed the Kit Kats around. Make sure you get the regular sized ones (I mistakenly bought the snack size ones and had to go back for the regular size ones), mine was an 8" and took 11 packages (actually 10 1/2, so I got to eat the other half bar!).

They stick very well to the icing. I was scared that I had to hold them on one side while completing the other, but there was no need. I added a ribbon since I would be traveling to my parents house just to make sure they did not fall. But overall it's very easy to do. Try it!!! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%