New To Cake Decorating...how To Get Started?

Decorating By Lexianne Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm by Lexianne

Lexianne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexianne Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 15

Okay, I am wanting to learn cake decorating. I'll probably have to be self taught since the closest place that offers a wilton class or anything like that is a good 30-40 minutes away and just not worth justifying the trip. I've watched a ton of videos on Youtube which is fantastic. Obviously, I'm going to have to start out simple and all at the beginning (and probably won't get a chance to start for a while since I'm a broke college student (ha!) but I want to learn what I can for when I can start!).

I have a few questions (I'm sure I'll be back with more!)

First, I wondering what you would consider a good "beginners kit" of supplies that you would recommend I have to get started.

Second, where would be some good places to look (books, videos etc.) for tips and techniques for decorating.

Third, I don't have the steadiest hand when it comes to cutting so what would be the best way to get level cakes? What about cutting layers for fillings?

Finally- Would it be easier to start using bc and then work up to us fondant or vice versa?

Thanks everyone who takes the time to answer my questions! thumbs_up.gif

14 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 15

the best place to start is your library - they should have some cake decorating books, with a range of styles (and recipies). so that can be something solid infront of you to learn from too. and a good guide as to which books to buy!

there have been post about what to buy first, but actually, with a knife, mixing bowl, spoon, cake tin, and food bags you are away! most tools can be modified from stuff you already have if you need to. it kind of depends what stage you are at - if you havent got some good recipies, you want to get to grips with them (in my opinion) before worrying *too* much about the decorating.

level cake, well... if you are doing simple ones for family and friends i wouldnt worry too much! practice makes perfect, especially since getting a professional leveler (like the agbay everyone talks about!) is pricey! and the wilton one is hit or miss. a sharp knife and a good eye can work. getting them to bake even - theres a few hints and tips on here about that too.

as for fondant or buttercream, your best being able to do both! and you need a good bc under fondant, so i guess get to grips with that, then start with fondant, and decide what to used based on the project you are doing.
good luck and enjoy icon_smile.gif
xx

Lexianne Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

the best place to start is your library - they should have some cake decorating books, with a range of styles (and recipies). so that can be something solid infront of you to learn from too. and a good guide as to which books to buy!

there have been post about what to buy first, but actually, with a knife, mixing bowl, spoon, cake tin, and food bags you are away! most tools can be modified from stuff you already have if you need to. it kind of depends what stage you are at - if you havent got some good recipies, you want to get to grips with them (in my opinion) before worrying *too* much about the decorating.

level cake, well... if you are doing simple ones for family and friends i wouldnt worry too much! practice makes perfect, especially since getting a professional leveler (like the agbay everyone talks about!) is pricey! and the wilton one is hit or miss. a sharp knife and a good eye can work. getting them to bake even - theres a few hints and tips on here about that too.

as for fondant or buttercream, your best being able to do both! and you need a good bc under fondant, so i guess get to grips with that, then start with fondant, and decide what to used based on the project you are doing.
good luck and enjoy icon_smile.gif
xx

Thanks so much for your reply! It was very helpful!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 15

I highly recommend just searching the forums on this site for questions - you will find SO MUCH useful information.

Also, I love all of Sugarshack's DVD. If you can purchase one I recommend buying the Buttercream DVD first - she has helped me TREMENDOUSLY with her videos. Here's her link: http://www.sugaredproductions.com/ Her blog is also great as well.

I started out buying the Wilton pans with Micheal's 40% off coupon and worked my way in getting Magic Line or Fat Daddio's pan little by little.

Good luck! You will love this site!!

jolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolly Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 15

hi and welcome i went to the wilton classes and i highly recomend them they will be worth the trip. its funny how we will stand in line at an amusement park waiting for fourtyfive minutes to go on one ride and do that all day long, but its to much to go to class,you should know from college theres nothing like hands on exp. online is great but having a teacher thats been doing this for fifty years is better and more fun and socail, so you wanted advice get up and do it youll be so happy you did. peace

Lexianne Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:56am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

I highly recommend just searching the forums on this site for questions - you will find SO MUCH useful information.

Also, I love all of Sugarshack's DVD. If you can purchase one I recommend buying the Buttercream DVD first - she has helped me TREMENDOUSLY with her videos. Here's her link: http://www.sugaredproductions.com/ Her blog is also great as well.

I started out buying the Wilton pans with Micheal's 40% off coupon and worked my way in getting Magic Line or Fat Daddio's pan little by little.

Good luck! You will love this site!!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check out Sugarshack's site! icon_smile.gif

Lexianne Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:58am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly

hi and welcome i went to the wilton classes and i highly recomend them they will be worth the trip. its funny how we will stand in line at an amusement park waiting for fourtyfive minutes to go on one ride and do that all day long, but its to much to go to class,you should know from college theres nothing like hands on exp. online is great but having a teacher thats been doing this for fifty years is better and more fun and socail, so you wanted advice get up and do it youll be so happy you did. peace

I'd really love to take a class but I already travel 45 minutes to school so there is just no possible way to squeeze in the time (plus money) for the class. Hopefully down the line I'll be able to! It seems like it would be so much fun!

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:24am
post #8 of 15

You tube has some "how-to" videos... search for how to put icing or fondant or whatever! I took all 4 of the Wilton courses and it did give me a good base to try other things on my own. Maybe you could take them in the summer?

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:30am
post #9 of 15

I have found lots of fun and helpful stuff on you-tube. I started out self taught and was able to do pretty well. I found my first class a bit boring because I already had taught myself most of it, but I did pick up some pointers that I wouldn't have otherwise figured out on my own so it was worth it. I do plan on taking the second course soon, but like you time constraints make it difficult to commit to it now. Just experiment by making as many cakes as you can and practice with icing on a plate when you don't have a cake to make.

Lexianne Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

You tube has some "how-to" videos... search for how to put icing or fondant or whatever! I took all 4 of the Wilton courses and it did give me a good base to try other things on my own. Maybe you could take them in the summer?

I was thinking about that. I'll have to see what shapes up this summer!

Lexianne Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cook721

I have found lots of fun and helpful stuff on you-tube. I started out self taught and was able to do pretty well. I found my first class a bit boring because I already had taught myself most of it, but I did pick up some pointers that I wouldn't have otherwise figured out on my own so it was worth it. I do plan on taking the second course soon, but like you time constraints make it difficult to commit to it now. Just experiment by making as many cakes as you can and practice with icing on a plate when you don't have a cake to make.

Thanks for the suggestions!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 15

tonedna and seriouscakes, both from this site, have some great videos on you tube. I also agree that sugarshacks BC and fondant DVD are the best money you will ever spend.

Christen99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christen99 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:35pm
post #13 of 15

I live in the SF Bay Area, and we have Joann's and Michael's all over the place, but for some reason none of the decorating classes were offered at times that I could attend in several of the stores that I checked with. I did a search on cake decorating in my area, and found a woman who has converted her garage to a commercial kitchen and she teaches all kinds of decorating, baking, and sugar art classes from her home. She also teaches privately, and teaches small groups of friends, etc. if your schedule doesn't fit in with her scheduled list of classes. As a bonus, she's quite a bit cheaper than Michael's and Joann's.

Maybe there's someone similar in your area?

Lexianne Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:32pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

tonedna and seriouscakes, both from this site, have some great videos on you tube. I also agree that sugarshacks BC and fondant DVD are the best money you will ever spend.

I've watched Tonedna and seriouscakes videos! I'll have to check out sugarshack's dvd!

Lexianne Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen99

I live in the SF Bay Area, and we have Joann's and Michael's all over the place, but for some reason none of the decorating classes were offered at times that I could attend in several of the stores that I checked with. I did a search on cake decorating in my area, and found a woman who has converted her garage to a commercial kitchen and she teaches all kinds of decorating, baking, and sugar art classes from her home. She also teaches privately, and teaches small groups of friends, etc. if your schedule doesn't fit in with her scheduled list of classes. As a bonus, she's quite a bit cheaper than Michael's and Joann's.

Maybe there's someone similar in your area?

Hmm...that's a good idea! I'll have to check that. I never thought about that so who knows, maybe there is someone closer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%