Getting The Law Changed?

Business By BethHansen Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 8:04am by mamabrat13

BethHansen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethHansen Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 8

Unfortunately, the state of Nevada does not license home-bakeries, so I am only able to decorate as a hobby for family and friends. I would love to get paid for my work eventually, but don't see opening a bakery in a commercial location as an option.

I would love to try to change the laws in Nevada, but have no idea where to start. Has anyone done this in another state? And how did you do it?

Thanks!

7 replies
shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 8

Kellym has started a big push for Texas. She even started a site for it. Texas Cottage Food Law. Hopefully it's going to be put through legislation this session! We'll see.

See also the "Texas Becoming Legal" in this forum. The thread was started years ago, but recently was brought back up, so the higher-numbered pages are recent.

Hope this helps!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 8

Jodiedew has been instrumental in getting a bill filed in Maryland. In fact, their public hearing is today!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614118.html

BethHansen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethHansen Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for your responses! I just found the Texas thread yesterday and spent hours reading it. I don't have time to read the thread about Maryland right now, but hopefully will have time this evening. I wish you both lots of luck!! This really gives me hope that we will eventually be able to get the law changed here in Nevada.

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 8

I wouldn't know where to begin, but I'm also from Las Vegas so I would love to help in any way.

mamabrat13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabrat13 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 8

I would be willing to help you in any way I can. I'm also in Las Vegas. I just read the thread two days ago about which states allow the home based kitchens, and was very disappointed to know that Nevada doesn't allow them. It figures though-we're always one of the weird states!

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:31am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabrat13

I would be willing to help you in any way I can. I'm also in Las Vegas. I just read the thread two days ago about which states allow the home based kitchens, and was very disappointed to know that Nevada doesn't allow them. It figures though-we're always one of the weird states!

I agree, but since I grew up here..its soooo hard to leave. I'm sure i'll change my mind in about a month once we start burning up, can you believe the temp already?

mamabrat13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabrat13 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:04am
post #8 of 8

I doubt I'll ever leave either-both sides of my family are all here in las vegas and henderson. I can't believe the weather-it has been so beautiful lately. It was gorgeous out today-but I was stuck inside- icon_sad.gif -but at least I was making cake!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%