Question For Mmf Experts....

Decorating By lilmansmum Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 2:04pm by lilmansmum

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 6

How far in advance can I make MMF? I am going out of town for about a week and I have a cake to do as soon as I get back. I'd like to make the MMF before I leave. If it's all wrapped up and air-tight, how long can it sit before it is used?

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 6

make it ... wrap it tight... put in frig... when you get back.. take out and let get room temp. or nuke it on low for short intervals.... until soft.. i do this with any fondant or gumpaste i have to make...

BethHansen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethHansen Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 6

I've had some that has still been good after a few months. And I don't put mine in the fridge. Just make sure you wrap it extremely well - I use double layers of plastic wrap and then seal in a freezer-weight plastic bag. If it is a little dry when you go to use it stick it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften up. You can also knead with a very small amount of shortening to help soften it up.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 6

I made some mmf in Nov, not been in the fridge and it is still good. I heat it in micro for 20 sec intervals and it is just fine. Make sure not to over heat, it gets soft on the inside before the outside. Don't want any burns... Enjoy your time away from home!!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 6

Yep, this is how I do it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHansen

I've had some that has still been good after a few months. And I don't put mine in the fridge. Just make sure you wrap it extremely well - I use double layers of plastic wrap and then seal in a freezer-weight plastic bag. If it is a little dry when you go to use it stick it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften up. You can also knead with a very small amount of shortening to help soften it up.

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm glad to know I can make it in advance and not be so rushed when I get back. I'm going to Vegas! Woo hoo!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%