Cake Pricing

Decorating By abismumma Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm by KHalstead

abismumma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abismumma Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 4

A coworker of mine asked me if I did wedding cakes. I have yet to do one by myself but told her if her daughter gave me some ideas as to what she was looking for I would do some practice ones. I dont know details on like how many people or the amount of work I am getting into but any ideas on prices?

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 4

calle around to other people that offer tiered cakes in your area..and I mean bakeries not Wal-Mart..........then decide if you'd like to be as expensive, less expensive, or the top of the line? Once you decide that......figure out how much it would cost you to make a cake (for example a 3 tiered cake........figure out all the supplies necessary to make it, including boxes and boards, etc.) then subtract that from what you were going to charge and then see if you can live with that number. That's how I determined my pricing and I wound up raising my prices because I was getting overwhelmed with so many orders and thought that might keep so many people from ordering (since I have trouble telling them NO< I'm booked! lol) and it helped some, but the customer base built up again. In my area a tiered cake starts at 1.25/serv. for buttercream.......I charge 2.00/serv. for buttercream and I have more than enough orders to keep me busy!

abismumma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abismumma Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 4

Where we live there are no bakeries. We just have Walmart and Hannaford which is one reason I got into the cake decorating.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 4

I would search for the nearest "bakery" to where you live then.........otherwise, make sure you're more expensive than WAl-Mart.........I'm sure you'd have to be to make any money though! Try figuring up your expenses for a cake, plus a rate/hr. you think is reasonable, and divide that by the number of servings and see if it sounds right. You really have to play around and figure out what works best for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%