Barnyard Smash Cake Ideas

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 7:27pm by DianeLM

MeliaJ Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 18

I am doing my neice's 1st bday cake for this Saturday. It is a barnyard theme. I am having a brain freeze as to what to do for a smash cake.... I was thinking maybe just a bandana design on the fondant? Any creative ideas??

17 replies
juleebug Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 18

If you search the galleries for "barnyard smash" you should find a ton of ideas. These were on the first page and I thought they were adorable.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1320157

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=83923

Good luck.

aobodessa Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 18

Stupid question: what's a "smash cake" for a one-year-old???? (Maybe I'm just too old to understand the "new" terminology?).

Odessa

poohsmomma Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 18

I have done several farm theme cakes. Usually they have fondant animals. I just take one of the animals and place on the smash cake. And I usually use buttercream on the smash cake because the baby can't get hold of the fondant. And messy buttercream makes for much better 1st birthday pictures.

bethola Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 18

How about a mini loaf cake decorated like a bale of hay (buttercream of course) and a little fondant animal sitting next to it?

Beth in KY

juleebug Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 18

aobodessa,

A smash cake is an individual cake given to a small child, usually for a 1st birthday, for the purpose of being smashed. Served in addition to the "featured" cake.

Carie Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 18

Smash cake for a one year old is a cake they get to eat/ "smash" for themselves. It is more for moms and dads to take really cute messy pictures of the baby's 1st birthday. icon_biggrin.gif

ladybug76 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 18

I agree.... I generally cover my smash cakes in BC so it's easier for the birthday boy or girl to get into the sweets... and messier for the parents to clean up!! icon_lol.gif Here's a link to a photo I have in my favorites:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_45424.html

Just as a note... a smash cake generally is a small cake (4-6") given in addition to the 1st birthday cake so the child can 'smash' into their first taste of sweets!!! It's messy and hilarious to watch!!!!

I'm sure you will come up with some great ideas!!
~ Jaime

aobodessa Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 18

Okay, thanks for the clarification everyone! I had not realized that these "little darling cakes" (which is what I call them) have their own name (although when I hear "smash cake" I tend to think of Brides/Grooms smashing their first piece of wedding cake).

I guess I'm getting too old for this game .....

Odessa

subaru Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 18

How about a little pig sty with 3 little pigs in mud (chocolate)? I have an example of one on one of the 4 wheeler cakes in my photos. I think it would make a cute smash cake.

Jmtreu98 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 18
juleebug Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 18

Those pigs are adorable, subaru.

kara76 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:00pm
post #13 of 18

Here's one I did using b-day girls favorite barnyard piggy!

DianeLM Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 18

These are smash cakes I made for a set of triplets. The animals are molded chocolate.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=90693

MeliaJ Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:21pm
post #15 of 18

Ok, so it's a typical Monday. It didnt dawn on me to search for 'barnyard smash cake' icon_biggrin.gif

I like the 3 pigs idea and the bale of hay, but for the hay I dont mini loaf pans, what about using 2 4" round and make a round bale?

j-pal Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 18

You could also do a mini doll pan and make a "hay stack" if you liked the bale of hay idea, but didn't have the mini loaf pan. Some other ideas (might've already been posted, but I didn't click on all the links, so sorry if I duplicate anything): single layer 6" round made up to look like the face of a barnyard animal, such as a pig, cow, dog, horse ... etc.; a 6" round made to look like a pond with piped ducks...

OK - one idea came to mind and it's really gross, but I would do it for family in a heartbeat (of course you'd have to know my family) a cow-patty! Now just imagine the pictures they'd get to show the boyfriend/girlfriend 18 years later!!!

MeliaJ Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:02pm
post #17 of 18

Oh I love the cow pattie idea! I will have to make one as a joke too! My family would just love it! icon_eek.gif

DianeLM Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:27pm
post #18 of 18

Heehee! I've made a cow patty! Tons of creamy fudge icing! I even made little fondant flies with wafer paper wings and green luster dust eyes!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%