One More Bridal Show Question

Business By huckitvt Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 6:41pm by mommicakes

huckitvt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huckitvt Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 7

I'm preparing for my first bridal show in april. I appreciate all the help I've received reading posts on the forum. Heres one more question: what do you wear?? I was thinking about wearing my nice chef coat but not sure its appropriate. Thanks in advance!

6 replies
aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 7

In the past when I've done bridal shows, I will wear my chef jacket and pants. It shows that I am serious about what I do and is always presentable. I used to have a pin that spelled out "I DO CAKES" in rhinestones, but it broke, so now I just forego it until I have some other awesome pin designed for myself (my daughter's suggestion).

Also, if you feel you should have an apron, go ahead, but I always think that it's better to be able to move around easily and comfortably. Take plenty of business cards and flyers (like maybe triple the number you think you'll need) and be prepared for the "crush", which usually happens following the "fashion show" portion of the event.

If you're taking samples, be prepared for that, too.

The more you think about how you want to present yourself, the better off you will be.

Like I always told my kids, "whenever you are in public, you are representing yourself/your family/your school/your business/your (insert organization here). Act accordingly and you will be fine."

Hope this helps,

Odessa

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 7

i think the chef coat could work if it goes with your display. i attended one show, and the people on the stall were all wearing normal, but nice/ semi-casual clothes. one lot were in suits, but i kinda thought that was a bit formal?
i think it comes down to what your business and your display is like! think comfy and cool though.
xx

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 7

Wear the chef jacket- it gives you more of a professional look.

For my last bridal show our main booth color was chocolate brown, so we wore brown dress pants with our white chef jackets.

A nice apron with your business name would also be good, but I would suggest wearing a nice shirt and pants with it. And everyone attending your booth (if you have help) should be wearing the same thing/colors.

My daughter and I attended a bridal show where a new cake shop had their first booth: wore aprons, t-shirts and jeans; only 1 sad little display; no signage. Looked very unprofessional! They had absolutely no appeal that they were a 'serious' business.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 7

I would wear 1st COMFY shoes!!!!! I wore black pants, with a nice neat oxford type shirt, mine was white with purple pinstripes. Coordinated with my tablescape colors. Other times I wore black pants, with a purple golf shirt. you know the type that you can embroirdered (sp) your company name/logo on.

Where is your show? I'm actually not too far from you. I used to live in Worcester, so I know the area well.

Good luck.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 7

These are some great suggestions.

I would also make these other suggestions:

1. What is the tone/vibe of the show? Is it a more elegant/high-roller show? Or maybe on the lower scale?

2. Who is the show's target demographic? Yes, bride, but again, are these brides that are going to spend $500k on the wedding or $20k. You need to be professional, but approachable.

3. What image do you want to convey about your business/brand? Personally, I go by the 'I'm one of you' approach. I am my own target market and know what I like/dislike about other businesses.

But really, the key is to be comfortable. Sure, no sweats and stuff. But as long as you feel confident and comfortable in what you are wearing, you'll be more confident in selling your product.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

These are some great suggestions.

I would also make these other suggestions:

1. What is the tone/vibe of the show? Is it a more elegant/high-roller show? Or maybe on the lower scale?

2. Who is the show's target demographic? Yes, bride, but again, are these brides that are going to spend $500k on the wedding or $20k. You need to be professional, but approachable.

3. What image do you want to convey about your business/brand? Personally, I go by the 'I'm one of you' approach. I am my own target market and know what I like/dislike about other businesses.

But really, the key is to be comfortable. Sure, no sweats and stuff. But as long as you feel confident and comfortable in what you are wearing, you'll be more confident in selling your product.

RIGHT ON!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%