Tired Of Inappropriate Cakes...

Lounge By kake4me2 Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 1:53am by 7yyrt

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 167

Is it just me or is anyone else tired of seeing cakes with themes that are inappropriate for the age they are being made for....

In the gallery there is a "Sex and the City" theme cake with a martini on top for a 17 year old???? (to be fair....I absolutely LOVE the cake but I'm 36 not 17)

Prada bags for 10 yr olds, tiffany boxes for 3 year olds, and now martinis for minors???

EDITED TO ADD...
Come on Parents that is ridiculous....... icon_rolleyes.gif

I get that you get paid to bake whats requested....

166 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 167

Well, it pays my overhead.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 167

i volunteer with 5-7 year olds. it boggles my mind how things have changed from when i was that age! oh dear, ive just realised i sound like my parents... grandparents even!
xx

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 167

lol, did you see this Cakewrecks entry last week?

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/02/kids-these-days.html

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 167

yeah, I saw that. TTFW

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 167

Scares me as to how that 12 year old even knows what the Playboy bunny logo means....

I wanna keep my kids as young and niave for as long as I can!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by kake4me2

Is it just me or is anyone else tired of seeing cakes with themes that are inappropriate for the age they are being made for....

In the gallery there is a "Sex and the City" theme cake with a martini on top for a 17 year old???? (to be fair....I absolutely LOVE the cake but I'm 36 not 17)

Prada bags for 10 yr olds, tiffany boxes for 3 year olds, and now martinis for minors???

EDITED TO ADD...
Come on Parents that is ridiculous....... icon_rolleyes.gif

I get that you get paid to bake whats requested....

I definitely hear where you're coming from. After a minute I thought about it and remembered we were on vacation with our 2 under 21 kids last summer, we met kids from Germany who told us the drinking age there is 16, so I guess 17 is not considered a "minor" in some countries.

As far as the other stuff.........I hope these parents are prepared for what these kids may ask them for when they're 16. They're creating the proverbial monster.

icon_rolleyes.gif

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 167

Well, you don't have to keep your kids young and naive to teach them what's appropriate and what's not. But then, I think lately there is just a complete failure to parent at all in a large segment of society.
And I love the sex and the city cake too......... not a complaint about the cakes themselves (even the playboy bunny one is well done) Just perhaps the choices being made.....especially for a 12 year old! Boo

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 167

i must agree, ive been asked to do a play boy bunny for an 11 year olds birthday Crinnnnnnnnnnnnnnge. Worse still? my aunties neighbours little girl is 7, she has playboy bunny themed bedrooms, (i really dont think she understands what a play boybunny is ) But still, not the point. i was still playing with dolls and my little pony when i was 8!

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 167

I have a cousin who's.... I dunno. I think 16 now. For her last birthday, her mother (my dad's cousin) asked me to make her a cake with fondant models of male strippers. ''Preferably with the clothes all ready off. And can you make them look sweaty?'' I'm not kidding. I said absolutely not.

But then, this is the same cousin who showed up to my grandfather's funeral 4 years ago in a bare midriff and a denim mini skirt with 4 inch heels...

We don't really talk to that side of my family much. lol.

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:18pm
post #11 of 167

I totally know what you mean. It is sooo sad. icon_sad.gif How are these children ever going to have healthy relationships (especially marriages) when this is what they are learning as children? Makes me incredibly sad for them.

kels_bells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kels_bells Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 167

I guess it's a sign of the age we live in.(sniff)
I remeber jumping rope and palying with barbies untill I went to high school. I'm 29 now and I just can't believe what kids are into now it scares me to think about my boys growing up. But your right the cakes are great.

LaDulceria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaDulceria Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 167

i just got an order for a shoe and very posh handbag for a 13th year old girl....come on!, shouldn´t be more like princess and fairies but that time.i mean.is not like a pair of dancing shoes...is by all means, a fancy high heels....well....... customer wishes...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:26pm
post #14 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderspritzer

But then, this is the same cousin who showed up to my grandfather's funeral 4 years ago in a bare midriff and a denim mini skirt with 4 inch heels...

We don't really talk to that side of my family much. lol.

Whew! Sometimes it's nice to know that I'm not the ONLY one who has Jerry Springer family members! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cinderspritzer Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #15 of 167

LoL! Debi, I could tell you horror stories. I just choose to ignore most of my family for those reasons. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:12am
post #16 of 167
Quote:

LoL! Debi, I could tell you horror stories. I just choose to ignore most of my family for those reasons. icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gif I tell everyone "There's a REASON I live 75 miles away!" icon_lol.gif It's entertaining to watch the drama ... from far, far away! thumbs_up.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:18am
post #17 of 167

i remember how one summer my kids grandparents commented on the difference between my kids and my x's stepkids-mine were young and naive (his streetsmart and attitude) i would rather have my kids enjoy their childhood and not be pushed into the "typical" way of thinking/attitude whatever.

kaciealexa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaciealexa Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:26am
post #18 of 167

i must be some kind of a nut but i just love to hear tacky funeral stories.... my favorite.... my best friend died of breast cancer at 48, her husband ( a real good looking guy) is emptying his suit pocket after the funeral and finds a note from a female (i refuse to call her a lady) ,, the note has her phone number and 'call me' on it....

cinderspritzer Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:29am
post #19 of 167

for real?

maybe we need a ''tacky funeral manners'' thread.

me? i think the parents of the girls with the playboy bunny cakes prolly better not be surprised when they become very young parents....

when the daughter i'm carrying now is turning a year old, i'm gonna make her a skimpy bikini cake :p

indydebi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:33am
post #20 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaciealexa

i must be some kind of a nut but i just love to hear tacky funeral stories.... my favorite.... my best friend died of breast cancer at 48, her husband ( a real good looking guy) is emptying his suit pocket after the funeral and finds a note from a female (i refuse to call her a lady) ,, the note has her phone number and 'call me' on it....

check this out then. You'll love it! www.etiquettehell.com

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:49am
post #21 of 167
Quote:

when the daughter i'm carrying now is turning a year old, i'm gonna make her a skimpy bikini cake :p

Don't forget to make it a thong icon_lol.gif

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:49am
post #22 of 167

Alright, I need to jump in on this one.
1st I'll say, " I love Indydebi's comments".
2nd, I attended a christian school and 1/2 of the seniors were
pregnant senior summer. No one on this site has a right to judge.
This is a flipping cake site, not a place to judge people.
And for the record, My 5 year old has a real prada purse!
So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:54am
post #23 of 167

This thread is making me feel better. Sometimes I feel like the odd one out when it comes to wanting to keep my kids like kids for as long as possible. My daughter is 7 and I have laid down the law against Bratz, poor kid does not quite get why I am so against them, but I just don't need her playing with hooker dolls just yet. And I am holding out against Hannah Montana and High School Musical for now, not that I think that she is going to be corrupted by it but why not save for later if she is happy enough with younger movies and cartoons for now. Thankfully the school she goes to is not too bad when it comes to peer pressure, so that helps a lot.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:55am
post #24 of 167

There is a saying that goes "Everything is age appropraite"! and anothr that says "JUst because you can doesn't mean you should"! Enough said

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:12am
post #25 of 167

What kind of world did some of you grow up in that you're surprised by this stuff?

I'm 29.

I knew about the playboy bunny by the time I was 10.

I didn't know any girls who weren't done with Barbies and Fairies by the age of 13. We were into boys and clothes. I think the last year my mom made me a little pony or cabbage patch cake was my 10th birthday.

The Sex and the City cake had a symbol that goes with the theme of the show. I would not hesitate to make a teenager something like that, it isn't like they just randomly want beer bottles because they like beer.

And never assume that your children are as naive as you think they are. I've known plenty of kids who had their parents/grandparents completely fooled while they were out sleeping around, drinking, using drugs or whatever. My mom's parents about went into shock over my baby sister moving in with her boyfriend despite all of the rest of us having done it before her, they were sure she was a "good girl".

indydebi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:21am
post #26 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

I didn't know any girls who weren't done with Barbies and Fairies by the age of 13. We were into boys and clothes.

Oh you were a late bloomer then! My girls made fun of girls who still did Barbies at 9! But then my girls have never been girly. My 16 year old DAUGHTER tells me, "You're breaking my balls here mom."

Uh....we're kinda laid back at our house. icon_rolleyes.gif

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:37am
post #27 of 167

The problem with the inappropriate cakes are that the parents are too busy trying to be their kids BEST FRIENDS!!! So, some parents may think that it is cool to treat their kids like Mini Adults, instead of kids.

SugarChic24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarChic24 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:40am
post #28 of 167
Quote:

You see... and I made my son a train for his 3rd bday. I KNEW I shouldv'e made him that stripper/bootie cake like he originally asked me for! Oh man.. well I guess theres always next year! icon_biggrin.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:40am
post #29 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

I didn't know any girls who weren't done with Barbies and Fairies by the age of 13. We were into boys and clothes.

Oh you were a late bloomer then! My girls made fun of girls who still did Barbies at 9! But then my girls have never been girly. My 16 year old DAUGHTER tells me, "You're breaking my balls here mom."

Uh....we're kinda laid back at our house. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm talking about the oldest I knew of any girls who were still into them not me personally. I grew up in a family of doll collectors so I never actually got rid of them.

I also didn't know any girls who didn't put their Barbies into interesting positions with Ken by the time they were 8 or so. icon_lol.gif

PeytonsMom0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeytonsMom0207 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:41am
post #30 of 167

Indydebi~~~ Are you shure you are not my mom?? Your house sounds quite a bit like mine. For the record, I knew way more than my parents EVER would have guessed and long before they imagined I knew it. I too would like to keep my DD my baby for as long as I can. But, unfortunately in this mixed up crazy world we live in, I will err on the side of informed over innocent. Especially after seeing the article last week about the 13 year old father in Britain.....

icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%