Making Fondant Animals- How Far Ahead?

Decorating By jjbrink Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 2:52pm by jjbrink

jjbrink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjbrink Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 3

i am making a jungle theamed baby shower cake for my sister-in-law's shower on the 20th. i want to make some cute little fondant jungle animals. problem- i have never made anything with fondant. its looks really fun so i am excited to make them.

i am just going to use the wiltons fondant- seems easy and it will not be eaten. do i need to mix anything with it, and how far ahead can i make the animals?

thanks,
jennifer

2 replies
Jsowards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jsowards Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 3

You can make them whenever you want if they aren't going to be eaten. Store them in a covered container so as not to gather dust or anything "foreign."

As far as what to mix into them....take a look at the tutorial on how to make the bear that's on the Cakecentral home page. You may have to mix something like tylose into it to hold their shape. Not sure how big you're planning on making them, but I've made little people before with the Wilton fondant and didn't mix anything extra into them besides color paste and they did just fine. I made them in advance and they hardened up nicely with no problems. HTH

jjbrink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjbrink Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 3

thanks so uch for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%