Cake Sizes Help

Decorating By Cakechick123 Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 5:45pm by aobodessa

Cakechick123 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 6

Someone wants to order this cake, dont know where she got the pic from.
Do you think that those layers are 6"+ tall (especially the bottom one)? It doesnt look like a standard 4" or am I mistaken? Also do you think that is a 7" 10" 12" cake? the gap between bottom and middle doesnt look the same as top and middle, or is it the way the pic is taken?

5 replies
amycake Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 6

to me it looks like an 8, 10 and 12. I would say not 4 inches maybe more. They might have baked 2 3 inch cakes and put them together. Not positive but that is what I thought. Good Luck with the cake
amycake

KatieKake Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 6

I think the bottom tier is probably 7 or 8 inches high, with the next two layers being 6 inches. I think the question is how many servings do you need. The bottom tier if in fact 8 inches would not be hard to figure out how to cut. The next two, if 6 inches high would present more of a problem. I also think that they are 8, 12, and 14 inch, the top looks to be more than 7 inches. The top and second tier have more than a 2 inches difference in size. If you look at the bottom tier and the second there is just a small space for the pearls, but between the second and third there is a lot more space. Why oh why do brides have to come up with these odd ball cakes sizes.

aobodessa Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKake

I think the bottom tier is probably 7 or 8 inches high, with the next two layers being 6 inches. I think the question is how many servings do you need. The bottom tier if in fact 8 inches would not be hard to figure out how to cut. The next two, if 6 inches high would present more of a problem. I also think that they are 8, 12, and 14 inch, the top looks to be more than 7 inches. The top and second tier have more than a 2 inches difference in size. If you look at the bottom tier and the second there is just a small space for the pearls, but between the second and third there is a lot more space. Why oh why do brides have to come up with these odd ball cakes sizes.

Okay, I'm gonna try to respond to this one, too....

The tiers could all be 4" tall, but the photo angle could be distorting the image a bit.

BUT.... having said that, the sizes of the bottom two tiers appear to only be 1" apart [i.e., they could be 8", 10", 11" or some other such configuration. Yes, there are odd-size pans, folks ... I have everything from 5" to 12" and there are still more!].

The real question is NOT "why do Brides come up with these oddball cake sizes", the question seems to be why would the baker/designer put something like this together? If it is a matter of servings, then bake so that the cake looks balanced first and foremost. If there are more servings than needed, that's okay. Or, bake a smaller cake for balance and make one additional cake that can be sotred in a box underneath the cake table and cut along with the rest of the wedding cake. No one will know it wasn't a part of the displayed wedding cake.

Either way, it appears to me that the top tier is 2" - 3" smaller than the middle tier, which apppears to only be 1" smaller than the bottom tier in diameter.

If you are baking 8" high tiers, then double the cakes (i.e., 2-8" cakes made up of four tiers, with a board between them for one tier) and figure your servings that way ... everyone would get a 4" tall piece of cake, but the end result would be an 8" tall cake.

This may seem all over the board, but it's just an opinion.

Hope this helps,

Odessa

Cakechick123 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the advise so far,

the servings are not a problem. The cake needs to travel to Zimbabwe, so its going to be a dummy cake. The bride wants this look exactly, so Im just wondering if I should glue 2 dummies together and ice them as one? Odd sizes doesnt matter, I have access to all the sizes icon_smile.gif

The only problem would be the height of the cake, 20+ inches might be a bit tight to travel that far icon_confused.gif

aobodessa Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 6

Well, it is truly a beautiful cake.

If I had to guess, I believe the top two tiers are about 4" high with the bottom tier being about 6" high. That would be 14" total height. If it were me, I would use tiers sized 8" across, 10" across and 11" across.

I hope this helps you out somewhat.

Odessa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%