Angel Food Cake - Melt In Your Mouth - Please Help

Baking By nikki72905 Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 12:59am by GI

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:42am
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone!

I am looking for an angel food cake recipe (FROM SCRATCH!)

I have until MAY 19th...

My husband was just talking tonight about how wonderful his Aunt's FROM SCRATCH Angel food cake was -- he said you didn't even have to chew it, it just melted in your mouth.

IF anyone would have an old recipe (his Aunt/Gram is no longer around) So I am trying to come up with a similar recipe that he'll love for his Birthday.

Thanks all!

13 replies
nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:27am
post #2 of 14

I'm bumping my own thread, hoping someone out there can help!

CakeLadySKB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadySKB Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 14

You'll find an angel food cake recipe from scratch that is frosted with a white fluffy frosting at http://www.delightful-cake-recipes.com/angel-food-cake-recipe.html

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:54am
post #4 of 14

If I were you, I would test any scratch Angel Food Cake recipe. Would you let me know how you do? I have YET to find a suitable one that doesn't fall flat as a pancake or is dry as toast.

I'm going to bump this and see if any scratch bakers are out there. This is about the only scratch I don't do.

Please all you scratch bakers! any tested and tru Angel Food Cake recipes out there? icon_biggrin.gif

I read the review by Alton Brown and there are some iffy people that made it! icon_rolleyes.gif

GI Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:16am
post #5 of 14

Okay, I made an angel food cake (scratch) tonight from a CC poster. So far it looks, smells, heavenly (pardon the pun) and it hasn't falled flat as a pancake.

I get to help eat it tomorrow night. I'll tell ya how it went! icon_biggrin.gif I'm going to split it, fill with fresh strawberries, and ice it over with Pastry Pride (non-dairy). It will be delish I'll bet! icon_smile.gif

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 14

So sorry i didn' see your request sooner. The "grandma" recipe you're looking for is on allrecipes.com--mock angel food cake. Make 1/2 a recipe at a time as the one listed is huge.
My recipes calls for sifting the flour/sugar/salt, add water, then flovoring--let sit overnight. This cake be made in any size pan--just make sure to flip it upside down as soon as you remove it from the oven-oh, and don't grease the pans. Also my version of this recipe REQUIRES that you freeze for at least one week.

GI Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 14

nikki72905 - I made the cake that's listed by squirrellycakes here in this short thread. She posted 4th poster down.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-15556-0-days0-orderasc-angel.html I'm having trouble with this link...I'll post the recipe down below, her whole text.

I used 2 Tablespoons Madagascr Vanilla and 1/2 teasp. Almond. Baked it up really, really tall (I put the rack in the oven just 1 notch down from where I ususally have it at in the center.)

I followed her recipe to a T. Used the KA to whip the egg whites. Sifted the flour/sugar like she said. (I'm lazy tho, I sifted it right back into the measuring cup. Just be sure to set the cup into a large soft lid, cuz it's messy. icon_biggrin.gif )

Folded in the last bit of sugar/flour with a large scraper, being very careful not to stir it up too fast. (The eggwhites do fall a bit during this time, but not bad.)

Folded the batter into my old,old DRY ungreased AFC pan that I've had for a thousand years. Ran a knife around it/thru it several times.

Baked approximately 32 minutes. Golden, perfectly colored brown.

Hung it upside down all night. Used a serrated knife to torte it. Wow! It's wonderful. I seriouslly scraped the side if the pan and nibbled a few scrapings. Yummmy!!!

It also leveled off nice and flat. And the edges are super, too.

Try this one...you'll def like it! I'm keeping this recipe! (Since I am a scratch baker, I've been looking and now I've got the Angel Food Cake! thumbs_up.gif )

edited to add: I am having issues with the CC link, so I'll post her text in the next post. icon_smile.gif

GI Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 14

Recipe from the link above and the cake that I just baked: (PM me if you have troubles! thumbs_up.gif )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All angel food cakes are low in fat because you don't use fat in an angel food cake so they are virtually fat-free as the traces of fat in egg whites are almost non-existent. I have yet to find one that is low in sugar and tastes good but I hear in the U.S. you can purchase one at a grocery store that is sugar free.
This is the one I use:
1 cup sifted cake flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
room temperature egg-whites at least 3 days old if farm-fresh, approximately 8-12 to make up 1 1/2 cups of egg-whites
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. real brown pure vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 cup granulated sugar
Sift flour and measure out the 1 cup required. Sift flour and the first amount of sugar, the 1/2 cup, sifting together 3 times. Use 2 pieces of waxed paper to sift onto.
Beat egg-whites until frothy, then add cream of tartar, salt, vanilla and almond extract. Beat until soft peaks form. Soft peaks will hold shape but fall over when you test with a spoon.
Add the second amount of sugar, the one cup, but add 1 tbsp. at a time, continuing to beat on high with the wire whisk, 8-10 on a Kitchen Aid until it is all added and stiff peaks form. Stiff peaks hold their shape and will not fall over. Fold in 1/4 of the flour mixture at a time and fold using spatula. Turn into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake at 375F for about 35 minutes. It should spring back when lightly touched with your fingers. Invert pan over a heat-proof funnel or wine bottle resting tube on bottle neck and allow to completely cool in this manner. When the pan and cake are completely cool, loosen sides with a knife and thump the bottom of the pan several times sharply to release cake.
You should make sure that all items used in the making of an angel food cake are completely grease-free for the best performance. Never grease an angel food pan when making an angel food cake as it totally alters the texture of your cake.

GI Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

So sorry i didn' see your request sooner. The "grandma" recipe you're looking for is on allrecipes.com--mock angel food cake. Make 1/2 a recipe at a time as the one listed is huge.
My recipes calls for sifting the flour/sugar/salt, add water, then flovoring--let sit overnight. This cake be made in any size pan--just make sure to flip it upside down as soon as you remove it from the oven-oh, and don't grease the pans. Also my version of this recipe REQUIRES that you freeze for at least one week.

Jeannem - is your recipe posted here on CC?

Jeannem Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 14

No, my recipe is not on CC--the Mock Angel Food on allrecipes.com is very similar. I'm wintering in AZ until the end of April, so won't have access to my recipes until we get back to MN
I got my recipe from my SIL's grandma--I think she's now in her 90s. Everyone goes nuts for this "mock" cake as it's very tender and moist.
Let me know if still want my recipe, and I can post it after May 1..

GI Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 14

Yes, please! icon_biggrin.gif

I can be patient! icon_lol.gif

GI Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:28pm
post #12 of 14

Jeannem - have you ever done a light simple syrup on this cake? I split the layers on the AFC I made, it's nice and moist. I'm just thinking of a little 'zing' to the flavor.

Wintering in the South sounds heavenly right now. I'm looking out at the green, green grass in pouring down rain!

Jeannem Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 14

I've never really messed with the actual cake flavor. as it's just so moist to begin with. I'm also a home baker, and there's always someone that doesn't like lemon, or orange, or mocha, or something. I usually serve it with something on the side like raspberries, or lemon curd...

GI Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:59am
post #14 of 14

I'm making one for my brother. He has allergy to fat and dairy. So his cake is AFC (low in fat) w/Pastry Pride. I put a bit of the strawberry jello (just a touch!) in the PP and whipped it up for the filling. Wasn't thinking, so there wasn't quite enough left to ice the outside of the cake with white. Whoops! So he has a pink cake. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%