Wow! Free/cheap Flash Website

Business By maryjsgirl Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 10:32pm by Paul353

maryjsgirl Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:24am
post #1 of 7

I have been everywhere on the net looking for a good web host. I have used quite a few too. I ran into this site wix.com and I am really impressed!

They offer free hosting, but of course there are ads and you have to use the wix.com address for your site. You can pay extra for more, the top package being only $9.90 a month!

But, the best feature is its easy flash web builder. I have been playing around and it is so easy! By far the easiest builder I have ever used. And they have tons of clip art and effects. You can do almost everything by just dragging and dropping. Play around with it and see what you think! I am working on mine and I love it so far!

Here is a link to an example site...

http://www.wix.com/apieceofyummyflour/Cakes?gu%5Fid=af3dfbda%2Da567%2D49ed%2Db45e%2Db90b7e3f8c03&partner%5Fid=WMGs4POB1ko%2Da&experiment%5Fid=null&JSESSIONID=D212FAEA92CC3EE0A7972DE4BD295A26&wixComputerID=PrfDXyLUpS412Fvznj6Llyunu6grMNebp5OVv8yMguF1gPfoHBi2MQ7afEItwho%2FtfgRfCGCqCUSKYhTqMA7tw%3D%3D&wsess=%2D1

If interested the site is wix.com

6 replies
maryjsgirl Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:27am
post #2 of 7

PS...no I do not work for this company, nor do I get any commission for new customers. icon_lol.gif

Just excited that's all.

sambugjoebear Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the info! I've been wanting to set up on a website. Maybe now I'll get motivated enough to do it! lol

Paul353 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 7

Be careful about using Flash as a main part of any website. Search engines are very limited in (without very sophisticated coding) indexing Flash unless there is an HTML alternate version of the site.

In other words, Flash looks great but if you're using it for a business site and want customers to find you via search engines, it is not the best way to proceed.

A site built in HTML, with Flash movies placed inside of the HTML is the best way to achieve the strong visual impact of animation while still getting the best search engine results.

PM me if you would like any further assistance.

cylstrial Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for sharing that website! It looks awesome!!

maryjsgirl Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul353

Be careful about using Flash as a main part of any website. Search engines are very limited in (without very sophisticated coding) indexing Flash unless there is an HTML alternate version of the site.

In other words, Flash looks great but if you're using it for a business site and want customers to find you via search engines, it is not the best way to proceed.

A site built in HTML, with Flash movies placed inside of the HTML is the best way to achieve the strong visual impact of animation while still getting the best search engine results.

PM me if you would like any further assistance.

Thanks for the information. I did read a little on their site about them being search engine friendly. Here is something I found in the FAQ section...

Quote:
Quote:

How can I optimize my Wix for search engine?

Every Wix creation has a code layer that presents it to the search engines easily.

But to improve your Search Engine Optimization even more: go to the top menu in your editor file- settings, and fill the:
Title, Meta Tags and Description box according to your SEO requirements.

And mark- your need for your website to be search engine friendly.

In general, it is important to remember that Wix creates a link from the main site page to every other page (to insure indexing) this happens even to pages that are not linked to yet. So as much text (original content) and outside links are the next SEO improvements you can do to your site.

Please go here a few days after you have finished filling the above, and check your site's status in the Google index:
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/sitestatus

You can also find many tips and articles on this subject in the WixPedia learning center:
http://support.wix.com/index.php/Portal:Learning_Center

Does this sound legit to you or maybe just lip service? I will definitely google more and see if I can find reviews and such for the site.

Paul353 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 7

It looks as if they have done some very basic SEO-friendly techniques, such as embedding the Flash in an HTML container. The problem is that the entire site is still Flash driven and therefore doesn't get the full benefit of text on a "page". Additionally, your URL is always the same:www.yoursite.com. Whereas with HTML, your site gets the SEO benefit of the URL: www.yoursite.com/wedding-cakes.html

Again, I think Flash used within websites is great. It is very interactive and can convey things that plain text can not. When used as navigation, however it has its limitations.

Take for example, the the browser buttons. When the user clicks the back button, they go to the previous page. In flash, if I am more than one "page" into the site, going to the previous page would take me out of the experience entirely, as Flash sites are not organized by page, but by states. Unless your site only has one page, you are creating problems for your users.

Also once your site is up and running you'll want to track your users -- how they arrived, what they're clicking on, how long they stay, etc. (analytics). This is much harder to do in Flash.

This looks like a great tool for people who want to drive traffic to a destination (like linking a myspace page to a website) but not for businesses who need to be found via search engine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%