Indydebi's Bc Recipe

Decorating By Vivalawvegas Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 11:23am by Rylan

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:12am
post #61 of 87

your right indydebi i was recalling incorrectly. they did say dry heat.. i was mistakenly thinking that place instead of some other relatives places that Are in humidity. funny though our AZ relatives that come up shiver and complain about the cold when we're out wearing shorts, no jackets no shoes..... hehe.. course.. i'd be the same way if i went to alaska lol! riot

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:02pm
post #62 of 87
Quote:
Quote:

[quote="indydebi]Tell your family I've BEEN to Phoenix .... and it has no humidity! icon_lol.gif My folks in Az would be amazed because I'm wearing jeans in 115 degree heat. I'd look at them really confused and tell them "this is nothing! come back to indiana and I'll SHOW you what hot it!" icon_lol.gif It's where if it gets to be close to 80 degrees with ANY hint of humidity and there are people who can't leave their air conditioned homes because they can't breath! I'd exit the plane in Indpls, and the humidyt would cause us all to start to walk a little bent over. The humidity seriously would "beat you down".

Hubby had a customer who had moved here from Connecticut, who said to him, "I have no idea how you people stand this humidity here! I'm about to die every time I walk out my door!" Hubby looked at her and said, "Oh, we can't stand it either!" icon_biggrin.gif

[/quote]( quote cropped )

KCMO is the same way, actually most of the midwest is I think!? icon_confused.gif I was born & raised here so the 110* summer days with 98% humidity are just the norm for me. icon_rolleyes.gif

My family & I went on a motorcycle trip last year after Memorial Day & we took Route 66 thru OK, TX, NM & let me tell you what! When they say it's a "dry heat" They mean it!!! icon_surprised.gif

I liked to die riding across Texas. My body is accustomed to the humidity, I just can't live in that kind of dry heat. The day we crossed Texas (from Shamrock TX to Moriarty NM) it was 105* with 8% humidity & winds gusting at 50+ MPH (according to the weather channel). It was the most miserable experience of my life! We had to stop every 50 miles to sit in the shade (not inside AC though) & rehydrate ourselves. I actually had to resort to putting ice in my helmet & soaking down my clothes with water. (I dried out after 20 miles though)

I just plain couldn't make it. It was a really rough day. The following day we were supposed to go from Moriarty NM up to Durango CO but my 16yo brother was violently ill (think never ending vomet) because of the heat the day before. He was completly unable to ride on the back of my DH motorcycle, so my Mom had to rent a minivan & drive him up to CO. Lucky for us that it ws only a passenger that got sick & not a rider.

It was like sticking my face in the oven & swallowing sand! I can't breath it's soooo dry! thumbsdown.gif So personally, I'll take the "it's not the heat it's the humidity" over the "but it's a dry heat!" ( icon_confused.gif ) any day! At least I can breath (or drink I guess) the humidity!

icon_lol.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:18pm
post #63 of 87

Back on the subject of the Buttercream....

Has anyone made chocolate buttercream with this. If so what did you use to make it chocolate and how much.

How many cups does the basic recipe give you?

GenGen Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #64 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJNZ

Has anyone made chocolate buttercream with this. If so what did you use to make it chocolate and how much.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

good one, thanks icon_smile.gif

craftycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftycakes Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:01pm
post #65 of 87

I am home sick and don't even feel like making coffee let alone a cake but I have been reading this post and I can't wait to make this icing!!!

I hate wilton BC but I am always amazed at the compliments I get when I use it. My favorite is SMBC and of course most people around me do not like it. I think in the area I live in, the majority of people like cheap generic tasting foods. It drives me crazy!

GenGen Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:12pm
post #66 of 87

alot of people like what their used to. its that comfort zone people including myself have a hard time stepping out of. can be anything.

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:27am
post #67 of 87

I just tried it for the first time tonight YUMMY! I made it a mixture of vanilla, almond and butter and I'm very tempted to go lick my KA bowl clean! I've been using Sugarshack's recipe with the WB which I love. Seems like these will be the 2 recipes which I will use for sure.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:54am
post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtobtb

I just tried it for the first time tonight YUMMY! I made it a mixture of vanilla, almond and butter and I'm very tempted to go lick my KA bowl clean! I've been using Sugarshack's recipe with the WB which I love. Seems like these will be the 2 recipes which I will use for sure.

Can you tell me how much of each extract you used? I would like to try that combination. Was the butter Wilton's brand?

Vivalawvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vivalawvegas Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:18pm
post #69 of 87

OK, I tried this for my latest cake and I'm sold. I'll never use another recipe. Smooth and creamy, got my cake smoother than ever before, crusted in about 5 mins (I live in teh desert) and did the Viva method and it turned out beautiful! And it tastes fab! Not like shortening at all.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:36pm
post #70 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJNZ

I used about 2 cups of Indydebi's BC and mixed in about 1/4 cup (maybe a little more) cocoa powder and about a tsp. of milk and made a choc. BC filling for my nieces cake last weekend and everybody LOVED the chocolate filling. My sister, who is a chocoholic, was crazy about it. Just mix in a little at a time until it tastes a chocolatey as you like it. HTH

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #71 of 87

SO I just made my first batch of Debi's buttercream. I'm skeptical about buttercream because it always either tastes really greasy or tastes really sugary. But I bit the bullet and made some.

When I pulled my spoon through it when it was done mixing, it was so smooth that I swear the heavens opened up. But that wasn't the test. I tasted it.....

And I swear to you, a choir of angels sang!

This stuff is *fabulous*.... I wish I'd known about this recipe before my year-long hiatus from CC...

icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm
post #72 of 87

Ysterday I had the perfect opportunity to see how much icing a batch made ... there have been a lot of questions on this.

I started out with no icing in stock, so I made a batch using 7 lbs of sugar (about 3.5 batches of the regular recipe).

In my pics are two sheet cakes that I just added ... Patriotic and Luster Dusted Flowers. They are both 11x15, unfilled, single layer cakes. I iced and decorated both of these out of this 7lb batch and I ended up with just a couple of handfuls of icing left .... some green left in the bag and some white left in a bag. This included making the icing flowers.

So if we do the math, it would take slightly less than 2 batches to ice and decorate an 11x15 sheet, depending on how it was decorated.

GenGen Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 10:42pm
post #73 of 87

so, i think i followed the right like to indydebi's recipe there's no butter in this recipe correct? no butter flavoring? just checking icon_smile.gif

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #74 of 87

nope, none. i suppose you could add whatever flavorings you wanted though. it's yummy as it is icon_wink.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:57pm
post #75 of 87

WOW, ok, I might be trying this one next week. Yo all have really convinced me. My daughter's birthday party is Sunday 3/15 and with no cake orders in sight, I have a batch of my regular recipe BC that I was planning on using up on her cake.

I DID buy Kroger brand Dream Whip about a month ago in hopes of trying Indydebi's recipe, so with my daughter's 2 tiered cake, i'm going to use my leftover regular recipe icing on one tier, and Indydebi's on the other and do a comparison of my own.

GenGen Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:03am
post #76 of 87

i keep my usual bc on hand "old reliable" I call it save for the latest summer problem.. i'm planning on trying indydebi's recipe as is and then trying it with a twist just for curiosity's sake. showed hubby the recipes other nite as well as some for smbc,imbc and wasc. he's interested lol.

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:07am
post #77 of 87

i have just started using indydebi's recipe and I really like it so far and I love how it crusts well!

GenGen Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #78 of 87

i just finished a 3 tiered stack cake last nite. its not complete, i still have to deliver it in a few hours, assemble then add the borders but i used just the old wilton buttercream.. after looking at the website for the cream cheese recipe i noticed they adjusted the amount of milk they use for the bc now to compensate for the 0 transfat change,. i thought ok i'll try it. i always make mine double batches because most cakes i do are big lol. well after i was done i realized i had only added 3-4 tbs of milk.. for the whole thing.. that's half of what it needed. course i like to work with stiffer consistency but was wondering why it was so stiff when i Thought i was only using a Little bit less, not a Lot less lol

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:19pm
post #79 of 87

I used Indydebi's BC this past weekend for my grandson's large Power Rangers birthday cake (picture in Children's Portfolio - only my 3rd cake). It made up beautifully, creamy, great consistency, very few air bubbles, tasted great, custed wonderfully and was very easy to work with. Piped beautifully for borders.

It is a great recipe and I will continue to use it.

Thanks IndyDebi!!

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #80 of 87

Can you use High Ratio Shortening in this recipe??

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 6:11pm
post #81 of 87

I have used hi ratio shortening in this recipe. Loved it. However...I don't know if I need to adjust something about the liquid or what.....because it had some funky crater like places that wouldn't smooth completely out like I can usually get it. I'm not sure if they were air pockets or just what. But...the taste was amazing. However, her recipe is good even with regular shortening!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 6:17pm
post #82 of 87

I also use hiratio in this recipe and it works great. I also use the hot creamer mixture that sugarshack uses in her recipe. However, I don't always use all of the liquid. I just add it till I get the right consistency.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #83 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycakes

I am home sick and don't even feel like making coffee let alone a cake but I have been reading this post and I can't wait to make this icing!!!

I hate wilton BC but I am always amazed at the compliments I get when I use it. My favorite is SMBC and of course most people around me do not like it. I think in the area I live in, the majority of people like cheap generic tasting foods. It drives me crazy!

Craftycakes - I worked for a bakery and was amazed that they used cheap whoopie pie filling (I mean real crappy stuff). The owner said that when she tried to switch to a high quality filling no one wanted it!

I agree with you - It drives me crazy too! Each palate is so different that is why this business can be nutty.

Larrimore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larrimore Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 7:54pm
post #84 of 87

A couple of years ago, I tried an icing recipe that called for the Dream Whip (NOT Idnydebi's) and it was gritty. Not sure if I added the dream whip to the powdered sugar and then mixed. Could this have made it gritty if I had done it this way? My DH was not happy at all with the icing (it was for his b-day cake)

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:12pm
post #85 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getus

I have used hi ratio shortening in this recipe. Loved it. However...I don't know if I need to adjust something about the liquid or what.....because it had some funky crater like places that wouldn't smooth completely out like I can usually get it. I'm not sure if they were air pockets or just what. But...the taste was amazing. However, her recipe is good even with regular shortening!

I just made her recipe for the first time yesterday and I got the same thing. Big air pockets that wouldn't smooth down. I was just thankful it was on a cake that I was pouring ganache over also. What should I have done different? It is such a smooth icing... Maybe I should have thinned it even more. Anybody?

GenGen Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #86 of 87

i've ran across airpockets with just buttercream in the past. i simply poked them with a needle and smoothed them over. some may have needed a dollup to fill in the crater, then i ran a warmed knife over the the top to smooth. not sure this would help with this recipe or not.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 11:23am
post #87 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrimore

A couple of years ago, I tried an icing recipe that called for the Dream Whip (NOT Idnydebi's) and it was gritty. Not sure if I added the dream whip to the powdered sugar and then mixed. Could this have made it gritty if I had done it this way? My DH was not happy at all with the icing (it was for his b-day cake)

What I usually do, is I add a little bit of milk and then put it back on the mixer and wait till it gets smooth. It works for me but it tends go get really fluffy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%