Indydebi's Bc Recipe

Decorating By Vivalawvegas Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 11:23am by Rylan

Vivalawvegas Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:09am
post #1 of 87

I'm leery of all Crisco recipes but I've read such rave reviews of Indydebi's recipe, I'm going to give it a shot.

So, with no offense intended, does it taste like a shortening icing (a la Wilton's recipe) or does the Dream Whip "creamy" it up a bit?

I'm doing a cake for the weekend and I'd love to try it out but I'll be mortified if the guests think they are licking a Crisco stick.

(And, Indydebi, if you read this I *really* don't mean any offense! I'm just nervous, LOL!)

86 replies
moxey2000 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:15am
post #2 of 87

No need to worry, it's creamy and delicious. I use it all the time and it's the best. It actually uses less Crisco (1 1/3 cups) per 2 lbs P.S., compared to the Wilton recipe (2 cups Crisco, for the all white icing).

my_4_dumplins Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:21am
post #3 of 87

I actually used Indydebbi's BC recipe for the first time today and I loved it! It wasn't like licking a Crisco stick icon_razz.gif . I hate the grocery store BC because it leaves that coating on the roof of your mouth, but this BC doesn't. I think your guests will love it! I know mine did! thumbs_up.gif

gerripje Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:23am
post #4 of 87

I love it too. It's super yummy and even I can get a smooth cake with it. The other recipe I use all the time is Serious_cakes recipe. It tastes really good, but it's not super white because there's about twice as much butter as crisco.

KellBell22 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:25am
post #5 of 87

I'm super picky about the taste of my icings, and after trying Indydebi's recipe for the first time last week, I became a huge fan. It doesn't taste at all like licking a Crisco stick at all!

Vivalawvegas Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:28am
post #6 of 87

Oh good!! I normally use Serious Cakes' recipe and I LOVE it but I'm doing dice and I want white white.

I feel much more comfortable now, LOL!

Thanks for all the positive reviews!

Skirt Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:30am
post #7 of 87

I tried this recipe recently and liked it alot. I tried to use almond vs vanilla and it was WAY too strong so i guess I would warn against over flavoring.
I used the recipe for my final cake in my cake class last week and everybody oohed and aahed over how smooth I had gotten my cake! icon_wink.gif yes yes, it's BC, not whipped topping...

mclaren Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:48am
post #8 of 87

i can't find dream whip anywhere here.

anyone generous enough to recommend a sub for dream whip? is coffee creamer close enough?

Susie53 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 87

I used Indydebi's buttercream recipe on my last cake and it's really delicious! It's so smooth and creamy! thumbs_up.gif

Peridot Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 87

Can someone please give me the recipe for Indydebi's BC? I would love to try it htis weekend for my grandson's birthday cake. I tried Sharon's from SugarShack this past weekend and did not like it.

Please also --- can some answer the question that has already been asked about the Dream Whip?

Can Indydebi's BC be used for borders with success? Will the border have nice sharp edges and be defined - not like using SugarShack's which did not to a good job with borders - mushy looking.

Susie53 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJNZ

Can someone please give me the recipe for Indydebi's BC? I would love to try it htis weekend for my grandson's birthday cake. I tried Sharon's from SugarShack this past weekend and did not like it.

Please also --- can some answer the question that has already been asked about the Dream Whip?

Can Indydebi's BC be used for borders with success? Will the border have nice sharp edges and be defined - not like using SugarShack's which did not to a good job with borders - mushy looking.




Here you go:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_fileid-print-recipeid-6992.html

Susie53 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 87

I haven't made too many cakes since I've started decorating cakes, mainly because I do them as a hobby for my family. I've used both Sugarshack's and Indydebi's buttercream with no problems. They are both delicious and great to decorate with. thumbs_up.gif

alvarezmom Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 87

I'll have to try this recipe. I finally found a store that sells the dream whip but it's expensive.

tiggy2 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 87

indydebi's BC can be used for anything. It's all I use and I love it. However, I use hiratio and the hot creamer mixture (from sugarshack's recipe) and it's the smoothest, creamiest BC I've ever used. It is also the best crusting and best tasting BC I've ever used. Sorry I don't know of any substitutes for dream whip.

Skirt Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:01pm
post #15 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

i can't find dream whip anywhere here.

anyone generous enough to recommend a sub for dream whip? is coffee creamer close enough?




Coffee creamer is not the same as Dream Whip. Dream Whip is like fake whipped cream. You can buy it frozen already made or in powder form and whip it up with milk. Indydebi would have the best answer but I think the dream whip lightens up the icing (makes it fluffier).
I wonder if you could fold in the frozen stuff?? I mixed BC with Frosting Pride once and that made a super smooth icing...

Good Luck!

KellBell22 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:05pm
post #16 of 87

I just have to post ehre that I feel like a total bonehead on the dream whip. Doofus me just poured the powder int my bowl and mixed it in. Still tastes great but I bet it's WAY better if you actually mix up the dream whip first. Duh! icon_redface.gif

plbennett_8 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:00am
post #17 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellBell22

I just have to post ehre that I feel like a total bonehead on the dream whip. Doofus me just poured the powder int my bowl and mixed it in. Still tastes great but I bet it's WAY better if you actually mix up the dream whip first. Duh! icon_redface.gif




NO! You do not make the dream whip first.... thumbsdown.gif You did it right. Simply add the dream whip powder and mix it in as you are making your buttercream. Do NOT "make it" first... icon_smile.gif

Pat

KellBell22 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:40am
post #18 of 87

Thanks, I thought for sure I messed it up. I don't feel quite so dumb now. icon_smile.gif

Pebbles1727 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:03am
post #19 of 87

Hi Tiggy,
can you give me more info on hot creamer trick? What difference does it make?
Thanks, P

mclaren Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:05am
post #20 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirt


Coffee creamer is not the same as Dream Whip. Dream Whip is like fake whipped cream. You can buy it frozen already made or in powder form and whip it up with milk. Indydebi would have the best answer but I think the dream whip lightens up the icing (makes it fluffier).
I wonder if you could fold in the frozen stuff?? I mixed BC with Frosting Pride once and that made a super smooth icing...

Good Luck!




thanks Skirt!
so are you saying that you've tried deb's BC with frosting pride (liquid) before? i have THAT in my freezer.
do you whip the frosting pride up first, or simply add the liquid into the BC to sub for dream whip?

Skirt Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:54am
post #21 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirt


Coffee creamer is not the same as Dream Whip. Dream Whip is like fake whipped cream. You can buy it frozen already made or in powder form and whip it up with milk. Indydebi would have the best answer but I think the dream whip lightens up the icing (makes it fluffier).
I wonder if you could fold in the frozen stuff?? I mixed BC with Frosting Pride once and that made a super smooth icing...

Good Luck!



thanks Skirt!
so are you saying that you've tried deb's BC with frosting pride (liquid) before? i have THAT on had in my freezer.
do you whip the frosting pride up first, or simply add the liquid into the BC to sub for dream whip?




I can't say I've done it with her recipe but I have mixed whipped up FP with regular BC. It stays super smooth and the FP doesn't develop that chemical taste that I find it does after a few hours when used alone. HTH

tiggy2 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:26pm
post #22 of 87

Pebbles1727 I think the hot creamer mixture makes it creamier and smoother.
mclaren I don't think frosting pride is a substitute for dream whip. Dream whip is a powder for making whip cream. I'd check with indydebi before using it and ruining a batch of BC.

mclaren Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:59pm
post #23 of 87

thanks tiggy2.. i've asked deb but she can't say on subbing dream whip, since that is all she has used.

i read somewhere on the net, dream whip is the dry version of cool whip (i've seen cool whip here). however i'm not sure how to go about it, since cool whip is sort of a 'ready-made' dream whip, so some liquid must have been added to it..

Trance Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:17pm
post #24 of 87

Does this recipe need to be refridgerated because of the milk in it?

Thanks,
Trance

jlsheik Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:37pm
post #25 of 87

Hi all!! I have used Indy's BC and only that one since the day I made it!!
It is creamy and fabulous...holds color well and does not feel greasy... Mix dreamwhip and milk( I like a blend of vanilla,butter and almond) flavors, crisco and a couple cups of the PS untill it is smooth and creamy then slowly add in rest of the PS.
I love...love...love it!!
Thanks Indydebi this recipe is FABULOUS!!!!!

FlourPots Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:25pm
post #26 of 87

I also love indydeb's BC...I ALWAYS make it 3-4 days before I need it because the flavor is even better that way...I keep it in the fridge.

Also, I only use 6 cups of PS per batch and I add 1/2 tsp. of salt.

my_4_dumplins Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:25pm
post #27 of 87

The next time you go to the grocery store try looking in the isle where they have boxes of Jell-O. My grocery store stocks it on the top shelf right above the boxed Jell-O because alot of people use it mixed with Jell-O to make pies. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

cinderspritzer Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:11pm
post #28 of 87

I hate the taste of American buttercream, just because of the crisco/ powdered sugar taste. It's gross. But I read her little part about it's the only thing she's ever used and everyone else saying how great it is, that I did a google image search for Dream Whip so I'd know what I was looking for. I bought some, and now I'm going to be brave and try it. icon_smile.gif


And if it's terrible, I'll just send it to work with husband. They don't complain about free cake. lol.

lolobell Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:23pm
post #29 of 87

Indydebis BC for me is the easiest and yummiest. I tried sugarshacks which was nice but frankly to much babysitting for me. Indydebis is a 'walk away" while it's mixing kind and I love that. Now, in the beginning i had crusting problems with it. Became waaay to hard. So, after contacting indydebi and with her kindness and knowledge (along with many others on CC)...I found out how to tweak it so not to do that. Now, I just add a little extra milk if I need to, less PS if i need and it's great. I do not use Crisco anymore since they removed the transfat and my colors just don't take well at all....so I honestly use just Store Brand (Kroger) vegetable shortening and it's great! I make it days ahead of time and just rewhip it for a moment prior to using...I will never use another BC again. It crusts perfectly to smooth but is still nice and creamy in the middle. oh and NO I do not put it in the frig....it's fine on the counter in a proper container......even had it out for 1.5 weeks and it was still great!

GenGen Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:30pm
post #30 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobell

Indydebis BC for me is the easiest and yummiest. I tried sugarshacks which was nice but frankly to much babysitting for me. Indydebis is a 'walk away" while it's mixing kind and I love that. Now, in the beginning i had crusting problems with it. Became waaay to hard. So, after contacting indydebi and with her kindness and knowledge (along with many others on CC)...I found out how to tweak it so not to do that. Now, I just add a little extra milk if I need to, less PS if i need and it's great. I do not use Crisco anymore since they removed the transfat and my colors just don't take well at all....so I honestly use just Store Brand (Kroger) vegetable shortening and it's great! I make it days ahead of time and just rewhip it for a moment prior to using...I will never use another BC again. It crusts perfectly to smooth but is still nice and creamy in the middle. oh and NO I do not put it in the frig....it's fine on the counter in a proper container......even had it out for 1.5 weeks and it was still great!




i have no way of accessing any kroger even a costco is an hour away from me (yikes)

indydebs recipe can withstand/not spoil after a week and a half? if thats so i'd really be interested in trying it icon_smile.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

I also love indydeb's BC...I ALWAYS make it 3-4 days before I need it because the flavor is even better that way...I keep it in the fridge.

Also, I only use 6 cups of PS per batch and I add 1/2 tsp. of salt.




from one who hasn't had a chance to try indydebs recipe yet, you do have to bring it back to room temp before spreading correct? yes i know it sounds like a Duh question but i always like to be sure lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%