My First No-Show!

Decorating By bakermomof2 Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm by thepinklotusstore

bakermomof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermomof2 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:05am
post #1 of 33

I have been doing cakes for 6 years and this weekend I have been stiffed for the first time. She called last Saturday morning early while I was still in bed. She said her cousin, whom I know, will pick the cake up Saturday (yesterday). Ok. So I get up and get myself decent expecting someone at any minute. The cake was not an easy sheet cake and took some time to do. I waited and waited. I finally called her number. No answer. Her "mailbox" is full so I can't leave a message. A couple of calls later she answers and says her cousin can't pick it up so she'll come tomorrow (today). Haven't seen nor heard from her. I have called and called and called and cried. She is just not answering now I know. $30 wasted. It was a "boob" lingerie cake (boobs covered) so I really can't do anything else with it. Why do these people treat people this way. I am a stay-at-home mom doing this on the side so I can keep staying at home and then someone comes along and does me this way. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif :

32 replies
butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:16am
post #2 of 33

so sorry this happened to you hun. She could have at least called you. As was said so many times on the show full house, "How rude"

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:17am
post #3 of 33

Well, I know you probably realize this now, but you would have avoided this by having a cash up front policy. It's not like you can put your cake back in the fridge and wait for someone who wants the same exact thing in the next 48 hours to come along and take it off your hands. Sorry this happened to you. icon_sad.gif I bet it was beautiful!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:17am
post #4 of 33

Stick it in the freezer in case she calls back! Actually put her in the "dont do cakes for" file and depending on how well you know the cousin you might mention it to her.

bakermomof2 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:29am
post #5 of 33

She is already on my "Do not take orders from.." list. This is just so upsetting. I just don't understand how someone can be that rude and inconsiderate!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:36am
post #6 of 33

these are the same folks with the attitude "its JUST a cake"

ok well those are Just a shirt.

and thats Just your pants

and Just your car..

took some one time to make them right?

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:15am
post #7 of 33

I too have had this happen to me.....twice!!!! You would have thought I would have learnt something...
The first time I just donated the cake to a local old age home and the second time I was very lucky as someone called saying that they a cake with the same theme so I just changed the name and age on the cake.

But, since then i take a 50% deposit. I really hate doing this as I would hate for anyone to feel I don't trust them but I will not confirm an order without the deposit. I have lost one client because of this but for the rest, they are fine with it.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:20am
post #8 of 33

I agree with both Jamie85364 & bbmom.

First, NEVER take an order without getting a deposit. And second, put it in the freezer.

The next time she wants a cake (cause believe me, people like that will have the cajones to try and order from you again) tell her you have instated a deposit required policy. If she actually brings you a deposit, tell her, "That's payment for the cake you ordered in March." Then pull her boob cake out of the freezer & give it to her.

Then ask her, very sweetly, if she still wants to put a deposit on another cake. icon_twisted.gif

thepinklotusstore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thepinklotusstore Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

I agree with both Jamie85364 & bbmom.

First, NEVER take an order without getting a deposit. And second, put it in the freezer.

The next time she wants a cake (cause believe me, people like that will have the cajones to try and order from you again) tell her you have instated a deposit required policy. If she actually brings you a deposit, tell her, "That's payment for the cake you ordered in March." Then pull her boob cake out of the freezer & give it to her.

Then ask her, very sweetly, if she still wants to put a deposit on another cake. icon_twisted.gif

HAHAHA, juleebug that's good!!!
But once again I agree with all the ladies, I'm just starting, also a stay at home mom, and regardfless if I know the person ordering or not I already established a 50% deposit policy just to reserve the date!!!
And honestly I will also require the remaining 50% one week before the due date!Because People can be so freakin inconsiderate!! ARGH

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 33

I had a friend order a cake for her son's b-day. It was to be picked up the Friday as I was going away for the weekend. 11:00 the dad shows up & I tell him that I was just putting the finishing touched on & could he come back in 20 mins? No prob, he says. I wait....... & wait........& wait.........3:00 I call their house. "Hi, cake is done you can pick it up now, btw I'm getting ready to leave so I if it's easier I can drop it off....." I wait some more...........& wait...........& wait.........4:30 I call again "Hi, I'm just wondering when you can pick up the cake.......we're leaving soon, let me know!"
6:00 I get an EMAIL! (don't check my emails regularly so that was a fluke)
"Hi, can you leave the cake on YOUR DOORSTEP? I'm working all night & my wife out of town!"
Leave a cake on the doorstep??? Hello icon_eek.gif ! Are you freakinig kidding me?
Anyway.......I called a mutual friend and dropped it off at her house.
UGH!!!!! icon_cry.gif
I don't have the time for stupidity!!!

bakermomof2 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:33pm
post #11 of 33

juleebug - that would kill 'em wouldn't it icon_lol.gif .

cakes22 - would they do a bakery that way? I don't think so..Would they ask Wal-Mart to just drop it off?

I did call this girl's aunt this morning, whom I also know, and she told me where she works and to just call her there. That would probably really tick her off though.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 33

bakermomof2... chalk this up to a lesson learned, and LET IT GO. Some people have no sense of decency. If you know someone who loves cake.. give it away. Otherwise let your family enjoy. Don't bother calling this customer or any of her relatives.. just not worth the aggravation. Been there 2 or 3 times in the many years I have been doing cakes.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 33

Perhaps you could sell it at a discount to another client. Of course, you'd want to explain what type of cake it is first! icon_surprised.gif

LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #14 of 33

Wow I am sorry this happened to you. I have seen those cakes in the gallery and they look like they take time to make.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:25pm
post #15 of 33

I worked for a small bakery last year, and this happened with a large carved baby shower cake and RI decorated cutout cookies. My boss was fuming! She has a deposit policy, but didn't follow it, and she took the order! We stayed open late that day and the next, and no show. All the payroll hours really cost her $$ for all that work. I doubt this would have happened with a weekly regular customer. She gave it away, and yelled at us about enforcing the policy -go figure!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SScakes

I too have had this happen to me.....twice!!!! You would have thought I would have learnt something...
The first time I just donated the cake to a local old age home

Maybe this unclaimed lingerie cake would spice up the old folks home!!! Just a thought . . . icon_wink.gif

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #17 of 33

I charge a 50% deposit ever since the same thing happened to me. I may be stuck with a cake but at least I have some money, and the deposit lets you know that they are serious about the order!

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:49pm
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

bakermomof2... chalk this up to a lesson learned, and LET IT GO. Some people have no sense of decency. If you know someone who loves cake.. give it away. Otherwise let your family enjoy. Don't bother calling this customer or any of her relatives.. just not worth the aggravation. Been there 2 or 3 times in the many years I have been doing cakes.

You are so right...these people are so not worth the aggravation. You are going to waste way too much energy stressing about it. I don't sell cakes, so I haven't gone through this with a perishable item, but I did have a handcrafted clothing store where at least 50% of my sales were custom order. After several times of customers coming in on a Tuesday or Wednesday and absolutely having to have this one of a kind custom painted/dyed/altered dress for this wedding/reception/bar-mitzvah/formal function on Saturday night and them not showing up to pick it up, I finally wised up.

Half down when they ordered, non refundable, and the rest due when they picked the dress up; contract signed. It took care of the problem in a heartbeat.

Granted, these were items that would eventually be sold, but 2 were so specialized in design and physical alterations that they hung around (literally) for months first.

bakermomof2 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:25pm
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

Such good words of wisdom. It just erks me to no end though. But you are right. I need to let it go. My mother-in-law says "it's just a little bump in the road..."

Breath in, breath out.... icon_sad.gif

bakermomof2 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:21pm
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SScakes

The first time I just donated the cake to a local old age home

Maybe this unclaimed lingerie cake would spice up the old folks home!!! Just a thought . . . icon_wink.gif

SScakes - that's wierd you said that because that's exactly where she works. I wonder what she would do if I just showed up there with the cake. icon_rolleyes.gif

thepinklotusstore Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:27pm
post #21 of 33

hahahahahaha! Thats really funny!!! I bet her face, and the old folks face would be priceless!!!! Darn ppl like that make me so freakin mad though!!! It's really nice to think of letting go and so forth, but I thinks theres just no right u know? I would very decently but veeeery firmly let this woman know waht I think about her rudeness, cause in my opinion that's why people like this go around abusing others, no one stands up to them!! U know how many hours of hard work it must've taken bakermomof2 to make her cake?? And at least about $30 in ingredients!! NO FREAKIN WAY!!!!! sorry that's just me!!

bakermomof2 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:38pm
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinklotusstore

hahahahahaha! Thats really funny!!! I bet her face, and the old folks face would be priceless!!!! Darn ppl like that make me so freakin mad though!!! It's really nice to think of letting go and so forth, but I thinks theres just no right u know? I would very decently but veeeery firmly let this woman know waht I think about her rudeness, cause in my opinion that's why people like this go around abusing others, no one stands up to them!! U know how many hours of hard work it must've taken bakermomof2 to make her cake?? And at least about $30 in ingredients!! NO FREAKIN WAY!!!!! sorry that's just me!!

Girl, I know. Those "kinds" of people just make the world harder for decent people to live in. They just don't know who they are, though. I still would like to give a piece of my mind.

thepinklotusstore Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:56pm
post #23 of 33

Seriously, u can give her a piece of ur mind without being rude urself, I can only imagine how frustrated u must be! And why let dumb self-centered people walk all over u and just forget all about it? I'm pretty nice and easy going but I always very calmly and nicely tell people EXACTLY how it is!!! GOOD LUCK bakermomof2 and by the way ur work is IMPRESSIVE! And I read u have a 2 yr old and a 6 yr old exactly like me! I honestly have no idea how u do it!!! They r sooooooo demanding argh!

bakermomof2 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:07pm
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinklotusstore

Seriously, u can give her a piece of ur mind without being rude urself, I can only imagine how frustrated u must be! And why let dumb self-centered people walk all over u and just forget all about it? I'm pretty nice and easy going but I always very calmly and nicely tell people EXACTLY how it is!!! GOOD LUCK bakermomof2 and by the way ur work is IMPRESSIVE! And I read u have a 2 yr old and a 6 yr old exactly like me! I honestly have no idea how u do it!!! They r sooooooo demanding argh!

I'm really not a "tell it like it is" person but I ALWAYS relive the situation over and over and say "why didn't I say this or that." I could probably do better over the phone rather than a face to face confrontation. Besides, what could she possibly say to defend herself?

That's exactly what I'm saying! It is hard to get these cakes out with kids even in the house. They are always needing something.

thepinklotusstore Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:36pm
post #25 of 33

I know exactly what u mean LOL!!!! Here they are as I type asking for food hehehehe I mean it's hard enough to make a cake, and with the 2 lil ones?? shoot But yeah I don't ant to be a "bad" influence LOL But u should do what u feel, cause I do the same thing when I don't tell someone what I feel, I ALWAYS think about it forever, I should have said this or that and it kills me !! I've just had to many of those situations happen, so I've started making a concious effort to be direct with ppl. And without coming off nasty or rude I always make them respect me...
It's honestly downright disrispectful...
Sorry, I don't want to rev u up girl!! hehehe icon_razz.gif But I just understand what u must be feeling and it makes me mad!
Hahaah I read a post here a couple of weeks ago of a CC member (srry I don't know her name) but she had to postpone an appt with a bride (her wedding is in september mind u) cause her little boy was really sick, and u know what the Bridezilla self centered woman said?? " Well if u really think that ur son is more important than my cake..." (or something to that effect) R u kidding me??? Gosh that is just unconceivable !!!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm
post #26 of 33

thepinklotusstore-I LOVE your avataar...how beautiful, is that a lotus?
As for the cake-if you know where she lives, take it to the house. I almost never ever take an order without a deposit, if someone has been coming to the store for a while-okay othewise even on the phone, I will take a credit card # and have it on file, just in case. I hope everythihng works out...sorry it happened in the first place.icon_sad.gif

thepinklotusstore Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #27 of 33

Awww thanks so much Monkess!! Well the topper wasn't really meant to be a lotus, but it ended up along those lines, lol I was really happy with it... This was my first 2 tiered fondant cake, gosh covering it gave me so many problems!! So the topper was the only thing that gave me moral support hehehe I really appreciate ur sweet compliment icon_biggrin.gif

bakermomof2 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:02am
post #28 of 33

UPDATE - The customer's cousin called this afternoon and said she had no idea that she was even supposed to have picked up the cake Saturday or for that matter that this "lady" had even ordered a cake. She had a message on her phone today from the "lady" asking her to get the cake. She apologized and sent her husband immediately to pay me and get the cake. I told her that I couldn't guarantee the quality as it was made Friday, but again, whose fault is that? I just hope she never calls again. I wanted to tell her that myself, but it doesn't look like I will get to since she won't answer her calls from me. But I got paid!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:03am
post #29 of 33

Hooray for you!!!! I'm glad it had a happy ending.

thepinklotusstore Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:18am
post #30 of 33

Oh YAY!! I'm so happy for u!! But still HOW RUUUUDE!!!! Well at least now U can take a breathe n try ur best to forget about this "lady" hahahha Now u know 50 % D-E-P-O-S-I-T !!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%