Gumpaste Help!!

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 4:45am by ginger6361

ginger6361 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:21am
post #1 of 6

I bought some gumpaste, first time user, at it was hard as a rock!! How do you work with this stuff??I would love to try it.

5 replies
icer101 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:31am
post #2 of 6

i don,t know what brand you got. but any brand can sometime be bad.. it might just need to be nuked in micro for short intervals at lowest heat until it softens.. if this works.. put some crisco on your hands and massage it into the gumpaste .. knead it .. pull and stretch it.. knead and pull and stretch.. if you feel like it is good now.. then roll into smaller logs.. smooth a little more crisco on and wrap in saran wrap.. and then put in freezer bag.. i teach gumpaste flowers at michaels.. sometimes the wilton premade can be hard.. i just tell the student to take to cashier and get new.. i love the premade wilton.. i love to make nicholas lodge recipe.. and also scott woolleys recipe.. these recipes are on their sites... but again, i love the wilton brand too.. satin ice brand of g/p is too soft for me..

bobhope Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:23am
post #3 of 6

i use home made using nicholas lodge' recipe..easy to make, great to work w/..u may want to give it a try..pm me if you want the recipe icon_smile.gif

gerripje Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:33am
post #4 of 6

I prefer the Nicholas Lodge recipe now that I've tried a few. I have bought a bag of Wilton RTU gum paste and when I got home discovered that it was hard as a rock. I simply returned to the store and exchanged it. They were all a little hard actually. It's really annoying when this happens. I don't live right in town and good thing I stopped at my sister's to show the stuff first!

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:05am
post #5 of 6

I use Satin Ice. I can't get all the right ingredients for N. Lodge recipe.

I just work it. Sometimes it takes the nuker and others just your hands.

Don't ever nuke more than 10 secs. Been there, done that! icon_redface.gif

ginger6361 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:45am
post #6 of 6

thanks to all of you!! I will try it agIN. aND i WILL TRY NUKING!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%