Fresh Flower Wedding Cake Top

Decorating By c420 Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 4:58pm by cakesmade4u

c420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c420 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:05am
post #1 of 9

I'm doing a wedding cake that has flowers on top and around sides. I assume they will need water or they will wilt..where do I get the things that hold the water that you stick into cake? Do I use the same thing fro the top or is there some other trick? I appreciate the advice!!

8 replies
cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:19am
post #2 of 9

Hi there is a spray you can buy that will keep the flowers looking fresh it is called crown & glory or wilton sells some flower picks you place in the cake I have never used them but you can get them at your craft store... Or for the topper you can use oasis mini deco holders..

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:30am
post #3 of 9

I tell my brides to leave the flowers on the cake table and I will apply them when I deliver the cake. I don't use water spikes. Flowers will hold up for quite a bit of time. They won't wilt after just an hour or so. When I'm the caterer, and I stay for the entire event, I can see first hand how long the flowers hold up. Hours. They hold up for hours.

Those who know my famous "set up the cake in 90 degree heat outside at 2:00 ... cut it at 7:00 ... and the icing held up fine" story. Well, there were lots of fresh roses on and around that cake. No water picks ... roses held up just fine in that kind of heat, also.

c420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c420 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 9

I'm guessing that it'll be about 5-6 hours from set up to cake cut. I am doing the cake for my SIL and have to be at the wedding ceremony but set up the cake beforehand so i can shower and dress before ceremony. Idydebi or anyone...will that be too much time?? I would rather not use the spikes, seems like too much trouble icon_wink.gif yet I do not wanna risk wilted flowers! Thank you Thank you!!!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 9

Some flowers do wilt faster than others. I've seen pictures of gerber daisies wilting VERY quickly.

I would be sure that the flowers are hearty without water...like roses.

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 9

Five or six hours will be no problem. Don't use the spikes, they are a mess. Just have the florist leave a bucket of water with the flowers in it by the cake table. They will hold up almost all day.

cakesmade4u Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 9

Some do wilt faster then others what kind of flowers are you putting on the cake.?

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:01am
post #8 of 9

I was wondering the same thing. The wedding i am doing is aug. 1 in virgina beach, i have been told the cake will be inside. My plan is to take the flowers and cut them at the last min. close to the base of the flower (this is in the design of the cake the bride chose.) I am wondering if i dip that part in a frosting like a royal icing, or just my regular butter cream if it will seal the end. Do you all think that will work, to help keep them from wilting. someone mentioned a spray for the flowers do you think its food safe?

cakesmade4u Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 9

The spray is used all the time on wedding flowers on the top of them and before anything you must wash the bottoms and stems with a light soap water to get the chemicals off and if you put them on last like you were thinking it should help out. You could use wax paper under the stems to protect the tops of the cakes to. Just a idea... Where is the photo?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%