Which Rose Do You Like Best?

Decorating By ptanyer Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 5:41pm by beck30

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 47

I have a wedding cake due next Saturday. It will be a four tier cake covered in ivory fondant. I am working on sample roses to determine which style will look best. Would you please tell me which rose you like the best? One is hand made, and one is purchased. Thanks for your help!
LL

46 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 47

wow...this is really hard! I really like the pink one, but I like the edges on the yellow one.

The petals on the yellow one look more realistic BUT I like the size and shape of the pink one better.... does that help??

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 47

they are both exquisite! YOu'd be good to go either way ....

cgcreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgcreation Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:15am
post #4 of 47

I like the yellow rose best because it has an antique rose look. If the cake has a more classic look, I would use the yellow. If you are going for a modern look the pink would be perfect.

Both are absolutly beautiful and I'm that whichever one you chose, the cake will be gorgeous.

Good luck!

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:40am
post #5 of 47

They're both beautiful but I like the yellow one better

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:53am
post #6 of 47

i vote for yellow, i love the way the petals look.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:10am
post #7 of 47

I like the yellow one better.

TrinaH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrinaH Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:14am
post #8 of 47

I vote for the yellow one too! I really love how the edges of the petals look

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:14am
post #9 of 47

Both roses are beautiful, but I like the yellow rose best. icon_smile.gif

drurys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drurys Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:14am
post #10 of 47

The yellow is more romantic icon_smile.gif

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:18am
post #11 of 47

I vote for the yellow! thumbs_up.gif

sweettreats36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreats36 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:21am
post #12 of 47

They both look great but the yellow just has something extra that makes it pop. The petals are more real looking, good luck thumbs_up.gif

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:21am
post #13 of 47

Both are nice, but I like the yellow one best.

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:22am
post #14 of 47

That's really hard. They are both beautiful! I really like the petals on the yellow one best, though. HTH!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:28am
post #15 of 47

Both are good but if I had to choose then the yellow rose is the best.

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:29am
post #16 of 47

I like the yellow one. So which one was purchased, out of curiosity?

jenniferus2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferus2002 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:29am
post #17 of 47

I vote yellow too!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:38am
post #18 of 47

I guess I'm in the minority but I prefer the pink one. I like the more modern style and clean lines of the pink and to me, it looks more realistic. JMHO.

But I agree either one would look nice on any cake. thumbs_up.gif

ptanyer Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:38am
post #19 of 47

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it. The yellow rose is one I purchased from a company that carries sugar flowers and the pink one is my first attempt at a gumpaste rose. I need to figure out how to make my petals more like the yellow rose. Back to the drawing board! It is finally snowing and they have finally officially closed schools tomorrow, so since our court system follows the schools when there is a weather incident, I can stay home (without being sick) and make flowers tomorrow...yeah!!!...a day off from work and I get to play with gumpaste!!!

ptanyer Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:43am
post #20 of 47

Thanks Vlin28. Guess what? You joined Cake Central on my birthday - January 10th thumbs_up.gif

janelwaters Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:48am
post #21 of 47

I think if you just frill the edges of your flower with the thin foam and the ball tool, I think it would look more like the yellow one.

I really really like the pink one too, its jus the edges of the yellow that I like more.

Good luck - have FUN tomorrow on your flower makin day off!!

Where are you with the snow??

ptanyer Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:52am
post #22 of 47

Lenoir, North Carolina (the in the foothills below Blowing Rock and Boone, NC, NW of Charlotte, NC).

janelwaters Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:54am
post #23 of 47

I have family all over north and middle GA and they are starting to get school closings etc. I was just wondering - I think its the same storm - just wide spread - even down here in the land of sun and sand - is Darn FREEZING!!!

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:56am
post #24 of 47

If you use a toothpick and bend your edges around the toothpick, it will help give the petals a curve like the yellow rose. If you haven't already looked, there are some really good videos on youtube that show you how to make roses. HTH

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:58am
post #25 of 47

janelwaters is correct.. thin the edges of your petals with the ball tool on the pad. press little harder as you go around them, this causes them to flounce... then after gluing on , take your thumb and pointer finger.. press your middle finger up against the cone of the rose for support.. then just pinch together lightly with your pointer and thumb and make some movement.. i learned this some years back , on chocolate clay rose class. hth this technique , causes the petals to furl back.

AFBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AFBarbie Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:11am
post #26 of 47

I have to agree with everyone. Both roses are beautiful, but I love the yellow rose. It is more realistic.....the bend in the petals are simply wonderful.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:40am
post #27 of 47

Have you watched tonedna's you tube videos? She explains how to frill the edges.

janelwaters Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:49pm
post #28 of 47

I like Aine2's tutorial on youtube also!

After reading the last replies on this forum last night, I decided that I wanted to see how everyone does their roses - I watched like 5 different tutorials!! I was up until 1:30.

Hi, my name is Janel and I'm addicted to cake, cake decorating, and cake central.

ptanyer Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:21pm
post #29 of 47

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips! Everything you suggested I did when working on my rose yesterday. I have been watching any video I could find on roses, including You Tube and reading everything I could lay my hands on...I tend to be a big researcher on projects when I am taking on something new. Yesterday's rose was my first completed rose and it took me forever. Forget Wilton...Toneda on You Tube was the first one that really made sense and seemed to work for me. I need to fine tune my skills in being able to roll the edges of the petals with a toothpick or other tool. Right now I am struggling with carpal tunnel and I think that has something to do with my being able to flex my hands and use the tools to give me that final touch on the petals. I plan on working on them all day today and I'll see what I can manage to do.

Again, thanks for all the help. CC'ers rock!
Pam

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:38pm
post #30 of 47

Pam
That is an excellent rose for your first try. Just work on your edges (like others said) and you'll be an expert in no time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%